Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
Poppy

Best adhesive

The seal in the ceiling vents came loose and are leaking in a rain.
They came out of place when I opened them, and now won’t stay in place when I put them back and close the vents.
I know I need to put covers on them, but my plans are to put in a second AC in the bedroom where one of the vents are, and put covers on the other two then.
Hoping to do that this winter.
In the mean time, I need a recommendation for the best adhesive to hold the seals in place.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Canonman

Covered or not, your vents should not leak. Is it the seal around the vents? Are the vents themselves cracked".
The seal material is self leveling Dicor. If they are cracked, then I'd try some silicone.
Why are they not staying in place? They should be screwed in then Dicor over the screws.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:53 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
They came out of place when I opened them, and now won’t stay in place when I put them back and close the vents.
I know I need to put covers on them, but my plans are to put in a second AC in the bedroom where one of the vents are, and put covers on the other two then.
In the mean time, I need a recommendation for the best adhesive to hold the seals in place.
Max air covers are cheap and easy to install vs replacing a water damaged roof or floor because rain is getting in..I’d do that right away …like today or tomorrow if it were me
Old 08-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Your talking about the seal that is glued to the lip of the vent itself. If your vent is closed, the lid comes down past it and it shouldn’t leak. I have used contact cement to re secure it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
Poppy

Canonman, the vent are not cracked.
The seal I’m referring to fits on the top lip of the metal vent all the way around the top. The top of the vent closes down on the seal.
The only way to get to it is from the inside and remove the bug screen.
https://images.etrailer.com/static/i.../rvvent_tn.jpg
I think this picture may help. It shows a black seal that I’m referring to.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
Canonman

Right, I was thinking the outside of the vent as it attaches to the roof. Like Chuck suggested, contact cement to reseat the seal.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I just downloaded the same photo to ask if you are talking about the black seal around the lip of this vent.... It appears you are.

You can use "trim adhesive" from any auto parts store. Apply it around the inside/outside of the plastic lip on the vent housing. Clean it with alcohol first, then carefully apply the trim adhesive to the inside of the weatherstripping. Read the directions first, but most "trim adhesive" is actually contact cement and needs to be applied to both surfaces to bond properly.

Or, alternatively, Amazon (and most RV dealerships) sell replacement vinyl weatherstripping. You just "pull off the old, wipe the surface clean and apply the new. It's about $12 per vent: https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-White-...7828750&sr=8-2

After you get the weatherstripping reinstalled or replaced, most brands of vinyl weatherstripping will "stick to the vent dome and when you open the dome after it's been closed for a long time, the vinyl will get pulled off the vent and stick to the dome..... One way that I've found to help prevent that is to spray some "spray silicone" on a paper towel and wipe the surface of the weatherstripping where it rides against the plastic vent dome. It won't stop all the sticking in all situations, but it will prevent much/most of it in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV VENT SEAL 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	35020  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
GilaElkHunter

A little clear silicone spread around either the vent or bottom of seal would hold it in place. Just don't get it on top of the seal and stick the lid shut.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Poppy

JRTJH, that rv vent seal looks like what I need. If I can find it locally, that would even be greater, and I wouldn’t have to be concerned about the adhesive.
GilaElkHunter, silicone is what we used on the first attempt to glue the seal in place. It held the first 2 real well, but the third one came loose at the ends.
Thanks everyone for your input.