Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
SteMax

Will doing this kill me?

Greetings!
I am planning a cross country trip this fall and I am going to upgrade my suspension with Road Armor equalizers and wet bolts.
My rig is a 2016 Sprinter 347FWLFT with a Lippert Ground control 2.0 4 point auto leveling system. My question can I safely (for my rig and me) use the auto level jacks (rear and front landing jacks) to raise my rig to remove the wheels Change out the equalizer and changeout the other suspension bolts with wet bolts? Would it be safer to raise the rig with the ground control the lower it onto jack stands?
SteMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you mean GC 3.0, we use it all the time to lift the trailer for axle/brake service. Be advised that Lippert suggests the use of jack stands under the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Just some thoughts; if upgrading the suspension why go with Road Armor? It is basically a "sort of" upgrade from the EquaFlex. Both pale in performance, in my experience, to the MorRyde suspension alternatives....and they don't cost much more than the Road Armor. Road Armor is Lipperts attempt at trying to upgrade their suspension offerings to compete with MorRyde...sort of. Just took my new Road Armor off and put on a MorRyde...no comparison. JMO.

As far as using the leveling system, when they came to install my suspension they used the leveling system to "almost" take the tires off the ground the used hydraulic jacks under the ends of the axles to do the final raise with jacks located under the frame as additional support.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you mean GC 3.0, we use it all the time to lift the trailer for axle/brake service. Be advised that Lippert suggests the use of jack stands under the frame.
Chuckster, can the same be done with a 6-pt Hydraulic "Level Up" system?
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Chuckster, can the same be done with a 6-pt Hydraulic "Level Up" system?
Yes, I going to use it on a 43 foot toy hauler triple axle today.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:19 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Chuckster,
Are you doing a equal lift on all points or isolated to lift one axle set?
Meaning, could frame damage (bending) occur with a one side lift?
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:34 AM   #7
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Chuckster,
Thanks
RMc
I have been lifting my 2014 Alpine one side at a time with six point level up for the last eight years to remove tires and do my annual brake and bearing servicing.. no issues with frame..

Dexter tells you not to lift via the axles and Lippert tells you to only use jacks on frame to raise tires off ground

Lippert makes that statement as well as Dexter as a CYA in case someone has an accident

Dexter claims if you Jack at the axle you can damage axle camber.. not true if use use common sense and Jack at outer area directly under the spring attach point

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:37 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Chuckster,
Thanks
RMc
We lift the rear and then the front to get all the tires off the ground.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Thanks to both "Chuck's" for your responses.
Reason for the question was, the last time I was at the (my) dealership for service I asked the tech about lifting the trailer with the built in jacks and he said not to because of frame bending. On my most recent service (that I did) I lifted each wheel individually with a bottle jack under the axle in between the U-bolts directly under the spring assembly.
Based on your previous post, either method is acceptable, correct?
Thanks
RMc
Old 07-22-2021, 05:24 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to both "Chuck's" for your responses.
Reason for the question was, the last time I was at the (my) dealership for service I asked the tech about lifting the trailer with the built in jacks and he said not to because of frame bending. On my most recent service (that I did) I lifted each wheel individually with a bottle jack under the axle in between the U-bolts directly under the spring assembly.
Based on your previous post, either method is acceptable, correct?
Thanks
RMc
Yes they are.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #11
Laredo Tugger

OK
Good to know.
Thanks again
RMc

P.S. The reason I did one wheel at a time was, I only have one bottle jack (large enough) and if something went wrong aka. a "victory for gravity", I would have one tire for the trailer to land on. I also used a jack stand under the axle as well.
Will also consider the use of the trailer jacks in the future, of course also with jack stands.