Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
Hayfield

AAA Roadside Assist

Has anyone had any experience with AAA roadside assistance? I’m purchasing a fifth wheel Cougar next week and I would like feedback on this issue. Thanks.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #2
Dadwoolery

We have AAA, but went with our Good Sam's when our F 350 broke down in Utah hauling our Cougar 5th Wheel. They will cover the Tow Vehicle and the 5th Wheel. AAA would only cover the TV.
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

Check with YOUR AAA to ascertain what they cover. Coverage varies by state. Also the quality of the service can vary as they are at the mercy of the local contract wrecker service company. AAA offers several coverage levels.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
SD Kitty

I used it when our 5th wheel blew a tire on I5 north of Eugene. They were great...they even called to update us and check on our situation while we waited.

I would recommend them!

I do have dealer coverage on our F350 so no worries ��
SD Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
B-O-B'03

I have been an AAA+RV member for 29 years.

That provides up to 100 miles of towing for the TV and trailer.

It has been a while since I have had to have the truck and RV towed, but, in the past I have been towed up to 125 mile and only paid for the last 25 out of pocket.

-Brian
Old 06-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
K_N_L

Be careful because

I had to rescue a buddy whose truck blew a turbo hose about 150 miles from home about 2 weeks ago. Long story, he had AAA platinum, and thought it covered up to 200 miles for both TV and 5ver. AAA got his truck to his local dealer but wanted over $3K to pull his 39 foot fiver home. Luckily he was traveling with another 5ver that was able to drop his trailer at a truck stop and then come get his trailer off the side of the interstate. He spent about 6 hours trying to get AAA to help before he 'phoned a friend with a dually'. I had Good Sam for a couple of years but never needed it thankfully.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

We have Good Sam and have used it only once when my poor ol' F350 quit; had to call and have them tow it to a dealer and Good Sam service was good. There are places where you camp that are remote so keep that in mind when selecting a roadside service. Not all have equal coverage and some don't cover certain areas.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #8
cynnich

I would recommend Good Sam. On one trip we had AAA and we fixed it on the Delaware turnpike before they got there (2 hours +). We picked up Good Dam that night. 2 days later we blew a tire in GA. We had to pay for the tire but Good Dam replaced it on I-95.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
Hayfield

That kind of situation is what I’m trying to avoid. Of course, one must know the policy limits.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #10
Pull Toy

We've had AAA / RV+ here in CT for 15 years now. RV+ is not available in all states, but if you break down in a state without coverage, AAA will reimburse you if you need a commercial road service provider for TV or Trailer.

Your state may vary, get it in writing...

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
SummitPond

We have AAA that can be used on the TV (but it's really for the cars) but not the plus variety that would cover the TT. We have the GS policy which covers both. We looked into the plus policy with AAA but the GS one was less expensive and covers more.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
cynnich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
That kind of situation is what I’m trying to avoid. Of course, one must know the policy limits.

AAA policy was RV+. Still didn’t get any help. It was about 5 years ago. Just because they say you are covered doesn’t mean they have anyone to send.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I had AAA for many years but never had to use it, when I did I found out all about their zillion caveats about when, where they cover etc. When I got home and looked into it it's like a hodge podge of individual operations that may or may not offer you coverage...at all apparently. I dropped them immediately since I do lots of interstate travel.

I would very much encourage you to look into any and all AAA services you want and what is provided in the places you go to. Also look at their limitations on getting your vehicle back to where YOU want it along with the RV. IMO you will probably find several other better, cheaper options.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "Roadside Assistance Program" is only as good as the availability they have to dispatch someone to your location. Just like cell service, WIFI, and Hampton Inns, if they don't have anyone to send because they are all busy, you'll be SOL for hours and/or days (Hampton Inn, when they're full can't rent you a room either)...

Then, like Verizon, if they don't have service in an area, you simply can't make a call to get "rescued by your roadside assistance plan" and if the roadside assistance plan doesn't have anyone available, you'll be "on your own" to haul your trailer or truck "some other way"...

I locked my keys in the truck when we lived in Louisiana and DW was in Washington with the spare set.... No problem, I'll just call Ford Roadside assistance, it's covered. YUP, sure was.... The neighbor took me to the airport to get DW's car so I had transportation until Friday when DW got home.... Ford finally called on Sunday to see how well they did...... UH... really ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote