Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #21
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Which Champion generator do you have? Many of them have a 50 amp plug, but I don't know of any "portable generator" that can produce 12,000 watts of power (what the shore power cable can provide from a campground pedestal)...

If you identify the generator that you have, someone can provide you with the "true capabilities" of that generator. Many CW salesmen will "exaggerate the capabilities" with misinformation. The generator may "connect to a 50 amp trailer without needing an adapter" but it very likely won't "provide the same power to run everything in the trailer the same as your shore power cable".... If it had that capability, chances are that it would weigh well over 300 pounds and it would have a 12,000 watt continuous rating. That's roughly a 14,000 watt generator, way too big to fit in a passthrough or even in the bed of most trucks.
I don't know of any Champion generators that put out over 30 amps, even those with 240 volt connectors.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #22
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
DuroMax Hybrid Dual Fuel 12,000-Watt Electric Start Generator (9500 running & 235 lbs) ?

I didn't get the specs that said this generator could run for up to 20 hours on propane (per Camping World). Would the run time depend on the amount of propane in the tank connected? I have a dual fuel Champion I use at the house during outages but never run it on propane.
In my opinion, it's just as well to run gasoline, not propane. Propane only puts out about 60% of the energy that gasoline does.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
I don't know of any Champion generators that put out over 30 amps, even those with 240 volt connectors.
The 14KW generator I was referring to is not "portable" (unless you tow a forklift behind your fifth wheel).... https://www.championpowerequipment.c...-house-switch/ It does have "greater than 50 amp capacity" and is what the OP would need "if he wanted full 50 amp shore power capacity) while connected to "a generator".... Everything else, that most campers use, is a compromise. Like you said, "Champion generators (that are normally used for camping power) do not put out "over 30 amps, even with 240 volt connectors"....

The point was that "camping family (the member I quoted in the response) won't find a portable generator that will give him true 50 amp shore power capacity"....(unless he goes to a "HUGE" generator, one that's far too big, bulky and heavy to use when camping.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #24
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 14KW generator I was referring to is not "portable" (unless you tow a forklift behind your fifth wheel).... It does have "greater than 50 amp capacity" and is what the OP would need "if he wanted full 50 amp shore power capacity) while connected to "a generator".... Everything else, that most campers use, is a compromise. Like you said, "Champion generators (that are normally used for camping power) do not put out "over 30 amps, even with 240 volt connectors"....

The point was that "the OP won't find a portable generator that will give him true 50 amp shore power capacity"....(unless he goes to a "HUGE" generator, one that's far too big, bulky and heavy to use when camping.....
Champion makes an open frame inverter as which can be put in parallel to get a true 50 amps through the parallel module.
Harbor Freight now sells a 9500 watt open frame inverter which can be put in parallel.
In any case, you have to have two inverters paralleled in order to get that.
That would take care of that problem. It has a true 50 amp parallel connection. That's the only way you going to get 50 amps.

As you say, it's going to take up a lot of space, and be very heavy.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
WDPatterson

For the sake of full disclosure, I now own over half a dozen Champion generators. I also run over 4400 watts of solar power. I prefer the solar power, as the inverter is much cleaner power than anything else. With over 14 kilowatt-hours of available battery, the only thing left for the generator to do is top off the batteries when the clouds are covering the Sun.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #26
Gunny Mike

We bought a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator and it runs my 15k watt ac and my microwave at the same time. I tried running a air compressor at the same time and the generator shut down as it was overloaded with all three.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator