Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
Poppy

I’m mad

I have to keep my trailer in storage because of city ordinance. Okay, I been dealing with that now for a couple of years. (But that’s another story.)
Anyway, I went to the storage a week ago and put an extension on my LP line for my outdoor kitchen stovetop. Two days later I went back and some lowlife scumbag loser had broken into my outdoor kitchen, tried to steal my refrigerator, left it loose and partly pulled out, and the door hanging open. I know I locked it the last time I was there. Looks like they had left in a hurry.
Whoever it was, I’d like to cut off both of their thumbs.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
Uncoolron

Sorry to hear that. I put my RV in storage also but never have that problem or heard any incident like that happened. There is a security guard, cameras all around and a care taker living inside the storage lot. So the theft never bother, I guess. Our city ordinance allows RV to be park in your garage or driveway as long as it fits. My RV does not hence in storage but it’s only $120/mo so not too bad in the budget.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
Salty25

That does suck. I remember working as a cop in the area and taking reports of that happening to people. Of course it only happened at some storage areas since most had cameras and someone on site.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I can't comment on the storage facility, and yet, I agree, that sucks!

But, we lived in town, 2 different houses for 16 years and 3 different RV's. After 16 years we had a note on our door from the city zoning board stating we had to move our camper off our property as having it there was in violation of zoning ordinances.

Long story short, no matter what we tried, we could not change the situation in order to keep the camper there any more. We took the camper to my wife's parents farm about 60 miles away and parked it there. Meanwhile, we looked for another house! And we found one in a different county, in the country where the area was zoned agriculture, allow farm animals, and no restrictions on RV's on the property, open fires allowed, and we could still pee in front yard if we felt like it!

And ... long story short, we've been LIVING in the camper in the driveway every since! We've been extremely happy, selling out of snob-ville and moving to hick-ville was a magnificent move!

Bottom line is ... we sleep where our camper parks. If we can't park it "there" we don't stay "there!" Our camper is that much and that important to our way of life.

Mine will never be in storage. I'll sell it first. And I absolutely love being able to see stars at night instead of street lights.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Poppy

This is the second time in about 20+ years it’s happened to us. The first time was in our driveway. Someone decided they wanted my home made chocks. They almost had the first one out, then left it.
It was a couple of years after that when we had to move it to storage.
I want to move out of town, but my wife doesn’t want to, so we just agree to disagree on that.
These local losers is one reason I want to move.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

We had our camper in a storage lot about about 6 yrs ago and it was vandalized. The guy broke into 29 trailers, took all electronics, ripped it out of the walls and did a lot of damage to yhe tune of ajout $4,500 . They caught the guy by running the heroin needle he dropped thru a DNA lab.

The storage facility was a nationwide chain with live on premises manager. Abundent lighting and 52 security cameras. He hit 2 RV dealers (broke into 19 at one and 26 at the other) and several storage lots along a 5 mile stretch of highway over a week. At the lot where are unit was the detective told me they put up several trail cams in the surrounding woods. The huy was photo by several of hem waving at the cam.

It can happen ANYWHERE, yes even in your driveway. Fortunately we have a policy with a very low deductable so it was very little out of pocket for us and the repairs were done when I had cervical spine surgery so we weren't out the usage either. A lot of these things happening all over. In the case of the guy that broke into ours he got 15 years eith jo parole for yhe girst 10 years. He was a repeate offender hug all too often they plea fown to a few months if any time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #7
GaryUT

Unfortunately we have to keep our fifth wheel at a storage lot.

It is covered lighted and fenced, with cameras. We have remotes to the gate and have 24 hour access.

The first thing I did was change the locks on the storage compartments, they had the same 751 locks as every other trailer. Made it slightly harder to get into the compartments. I use a kingpin lock, and keep all 4 jacks down to make it harder to take the entire trailer. I have a hidden disconnect switch for the auto level controls, so even if the batteries are turned on the ground control panel has no power. I put a lock on the propane compartment too, yes I know its supposed to be unlocked.

Storing it off site sucks, with the solid steps we cant get into the trailer. If the space next to ours comes up for rent I'm planning on renting it also so I can have access to the trailer without having to move it.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

On storing the RV I guess it's a mixed bag depending on what you own, where you want the RV and facilities available. We have the property to build whatever we want but don't want that facility right next to us (neither would the neighbors) and don't want the expense of building it when there are other options.

We use a fenced (solid), gated (automatic/remote control/digital access), enclosed (automatic doors/remote/digital access), insulated, powered facility with camera monitors, rodent control, weed control etc. Pretty nice. The owner keeps thermometers throughout to monitor temps. The lowest he has seen (and over the years we have verified) is 36 degrees. We love the place, I know the owner and it's our choice for storage.

Owning any kind of RV/car/truck always has a downside if you keep it outside whether inside a fence or whatever (I won't). If it is exposed the potential for bad stuff to happen is just a reality. Don't know that it's anybody's fault other than the bad guy - but those "bad guys", wanting to "have what you have" at your expense, seems to be growing each and every day.

The convenience of being "on property" is meaningless to us because I have to have it next to me when we prepare to leave and when we return (often). After that, spare bedroom, extra fridge (got 4) etc. reasons just takes up space on the property for us.

Don't know the answer for everyone, and the answer will be different for each owner. I do hope that everyone can find a solution that fits their needs and pocketbook.....and keep those "crooks" at bay.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
rhagfo

Well we full time so storage is only an occasional issue for us.
Before going full time we had two different storage places.
The first was on a dealers lot, it was cheap, no assigned space, pin pad access, and if needed they could move it. On the plus side there was power near by, and it was a five minute walk or less to the parts department!
The second was 2 miles from our house. They had video surveillance, pin pad entrance and exit, 24 hour watchman and owners lived on site, never an issue.

It was funny when we got “evicted” from the dealers lot. It was 2008, and the dealer was loading their inventory figuring that the the down turn in economy was going to limit their ability to get units! So they were ending their storage service.
I still shop them for parts, great dealer in the Portland, OR area.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:20 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

We only store ours during the winter at a local storage place. $138/mo to keep it in a bay inside a steel 3-sided pole barn. This past winter someone backed into the side of our camper when they tried to squeeze her 45 ft 5er into the 12x48 bay next to mine. Filed a police report when I discovered the damages but they were about worthless despite all the evidence and damage to my unit, her unit and even the building. Storage place had cameras pointing right at the spot but were not hooked up, WTF?

Filed a claim on my insurance, over $3,000 in damage, but vanishing deductible (Nationwide Insurance) only cost me $100 out of pocket, so not even worth the time and money to pursue the lady in Civil court myself. Everything is fixed except the awning which is on backorder from Lippert. I am on my 3rd estimated ship date (currently slated for 7/16). Maybe I will have an awning by the time it goes back into winter storage (somewhere else this year).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

I am glad I can store mine at home, it is covered, has 30 amp service and water so we often use it for overflow guests.
It is especially handy when we have parties, better to stay here than drive after drinking.

I have never had any issue with theft, the trailer is never locked, there is no alley behind our property and the dog goes crazy any time anyone is behind the house.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
BookPaul74

I moved to a small town in Nebraska (495 population). I don’t have a large lot and having a pontoon boat, a dually crew cab pickup and a 37’ fifth wheel plus the house and two garage, it’s a bit crowded. Friends that I bought it from told me that October to April the village doesn’t allow on street parking for RV’s and boats. The thought is you could park your vehicle on the street but not the toys.

So last year I had two different sheriff deputies stop by and informed me of the law. I explained that I would be leaving for the winter the first of November. The second one stopped by during the day and I explained what I was going to do but I asked him what would happen if I didn’t move it? A ticket or fine or would they tow it. He just looked at me with that classic deer in the headlights. He didn’t know the answer, so my guess is that they don’t really enforce it and most of the people just move their toys.

It’s setting in front of the 100 year old garage that’s 20’ x 22’ that I added a bump out to so the pontoon is in side. I’ll move it in a while so I can use the pontoon.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:02 AM   #13
Poppy

Now I’m even more mad than before.
We got to go camping this week. Got the 5er chocked and leveled. Went to hook up the water and electric, and that sorry low-life stole our 50 amp cord, surge protection, and 50 amp to 30 amp converter.
This puts me in mind of the Willy Nelson song lyrics that says “…I’d like to spit some
beechnut in that dude’s eyes, and shoot him with my oil’ .45….”
Old 06-26-2021, 03:46 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Did you file a police report and insurance claim? Anytime anyone tampers with your property that should be the first step followed by a complete inventory. I've been in the habit of taking pictures of items and pics of the labels and serial numbers long before phones had cameras. A vopy of the pics (digital now days) is stored in the safe deposit at the bank. When our camper was vandalized and burguerlarized several years ago this made filing a police report and insurance claim quick and painless.

It sounds like you need to change the "universal" keyed locks on those exterior compartments.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:36 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Now I’m even more mad than before.
We got to go camping this week. Got the 5er chocked and leveled. Went to hook up the water and electric, and that sorry low-life stole our 50 amp cord, surge protection, and 50 amp to 30 amp converter.
This puts me in mind of the Willy Nelson song lyrics that says “…I’d like to spit some
beechnut in that dude’s eyes, and shoot him with my oil’ .45….”
A Country Boy Can Survive …Hank Williams Jr

Sorry,I’m a stickler to details when it comes to music lol

Sorry to hear about your troubles
Old 06-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #16
Uncoolron

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My unit is in the dealership and we are worried also because we did not remove anything inside. Hope nothing will be missing come pick up day.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My unit is in the dealership and we are worried also because we did not remove anything inside. Hope nothing will be missing come pick up day.
If your trailer is at the dealership for an extended time, did you disconnect the battery??? If it's not completely disconnected, you've potentially destroyed your battery by fully discharging it. Those "pesky phantom drains" will play hell with an expensive battery.... BTDT...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Just double check everything when you get it back. We never remove anything and have never lost anything in the many, many times (months) our trailers have been in for repairs although we did have an unwanted deposit on one visit (toilet - #1). That was addressed with the dealership in a lively manner and it has not happened since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #19
notanlines

Quote:
Ron, what of value would you remove from the inside of your RV? All your tools, TV’s, DVD player, Lodge cast iron cookware, Crock pot? See where I’m going with this? Relax, take a powder. The more you lock up, the more a thief will damage getting in. Visualize replacing a basement door, paint and decals.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #20
jasin1

If and when I drop my fifth wheel off at the dealer I’m going to take a video walk around and open the storage compartments at the dealer so everything is documented and then lock back up. When you drop off a car at the dealer it’s a good idea to take a pic of the odometer also. Don’t think it happens much anymore but years ago mechanics would take home a customers car to “test” it overnight.lol
My FIL’s buddy saw/found his car at the local bar back in the 80’s after he left it at the dealers…it was on a test drive lol