Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
RickV

Backup Camera Hook Up Problem

I picked up my New Alpine 3790FK on Wednesday afternoon. Spent yesterday and part of today loading stuff in it. I had some time this afternoon so I decided I would hook up my "Non"_Furrion Backup Camera. I hooked it up turned on the monitor and had nothing. I had the running lights on put it reverse still nothing. If I hooked the camera directly to a 12 volt power source it worked fine. Is there some kinda power switch or something to activate power to the rear mount? I did notice that when in reverse there were no backup lights lit on the 5ver I know my 2014 Crusader had working backup lights could it be that the reverse wiring is messed up?
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I picked up my New Alpine 3790FK on Wednesday afternoon. Spent yesterday and part of today loading stuff in it. I had some time this afternoon so I decided I would hook up my "Non"_Furrion Backup Camera. I hooked it up turned on the monitor and had nothing. I had the running lights on put it reverse still nothing. If I hooked the camera directly to a 12 volt power source it worked fine. Is there some kinda power switch or something to activate power to the rear mount? I did notice that when in reverse there were no backup lights lit on the 5ver I know my 2014 Crusader had working backup lights could it be that the reverse wiring is messed up?
Are you sure it’s not too far from the monitor? Bad signal
Old 04-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Are you sure it’s not too far from the monitor? Bad signal
It works if I hook up 12 volt power directly to the camera back there and bypass the power hookup at the Furrion Shark Fin. I actually bared the positive and negative cables on the Furrion connector and and checked for voltage with the running lights on and also with my truck in reverse and there wasn't any.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
It works if I hook up 12 volt power directly to the camera back there and bypass the power hookup at the Furrion Shark Fin. I actually bared the positive and negative cables on the Furrion connector and and checked for voltage with the running lights on and also with my truck in reverse and there wasn't any.
Maybe you could CAREFULLY pull the wire in the shark fin..it probably has one or more loose connections where it connects to the lights..maybe you could see where it’s connected if it will pull out..mine is just wired to the running lights
Old 04-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

RickV

Take a look at the photos in post #5 in this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=camera

You may find that the wiring is not connected at the rear of the center running light.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
RickV

Take a look at the photos in post #5 in this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=camera

You may find that the wiring is not connected at the rear of the center running light.
That's kinda what I figured I took the shark fin off and took the center running light assembly loose to try and figure out it they connected together or were loose. The holes where small about the size of dime. I tugged on em but not real hard and neither moved a whole lot and it didn't appear it they were connected either. Did you see what I said about reverse lights on the back of 5ver not working? If they are even supposed to anymore.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The Truck/Trailer 7 pin umbilical yellow wire (truck end) is the center pin. That is the auxiliary power pin. It's not used on any Keystone product that I know of (with the exception of some Montana units). I don't know when Keystone stopped putting back up lights on their units, but it was before 2017.

You can verify that there is nothing connected to the yellow/center pin by jumpering the 12 volt pin #4 (11 oclock position on the trailer connector when looking into it) and the center #7 pin. Then walk to the rear of the trailer and check. If there are backup lights on your trailer, they will be lit. If not, then there is no connection on pin #7 on your trailer....

Most, but not all, Keystone products jumper off the center running light for rear camera power. There are a few with a dedicated power line to the camera fitting. All that I've seen with a dedicated line have a dedicated fuse slot in the 12 VDC power distribution panel on the main power distribution panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
RamRod78

Jam a fuse between the 11 and 1 o'clock pins on the trailer 7-pin this should send 12v to the running lights, check camera.

If it's on, it the power from your truck that is the problem. What truck do you have? Some 2019+ models have PWM running lights that don't give the cameras a clean power feed. In this case you'll need a 7-pin adapter with a relay to power from 12v pin when running lights are on, a power filter at the camera, or run a separate 12v feed.

If it's off, it's not wired to the running lights, pull the top centre light and take a look. Mine had shorted out and fried the cables back there to the point the furrion pre-wire had nothing.

Iain

2021 Hideout 26BHWE
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 5.2l
RamRod78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Not all hookups are powered from the running lights. Is your battery disconnect in the on position? The rear camera hookup in my Alpine is powered when this switch is on.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:18 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Truck/Trailer 7 pin umbilical yellow wire (truck end) is the center pin. That is the auxiliary power pin. It's not used on any Keystone product that I know of (with the exception of some Montana units). I don't know when Keystone stopped putting back up lights on their units, but it was before 2017.

You can verify that there is nothing connected to the yellow/center pin by jumpering the 12 volt pin #4 (11 oclock position on the trailer connector when looking into it) and the center #7 pin. Then walk to the rear of the trailer and check. If there are backup lights on your trailer, they will be lit. If not, then there is no connection on pin #7 on your trailer....

Most, but not all, Keystone products jumper off the center running light for rear camera power. There are a few with a dedicated power line to the camera fitting. All that I've seen with a dedicated line have a dedicated fuse slot in the 12 VDC power distribution panel on the main power distribution panel.
Look at these pics. In the first one it appears that BCM (Backup Camera Module?) is #14. Counting down there are only 13 slots used in the second picture notice there are two fuse slots empty. But in the third picture I pulled the fuse in the 13th slot went outside and the hose reel was dead. Yesterday I pulled one of the other fuses and put it in the #14 slot just to see if that was the problem it made no difference. It is kinda cold out so it will be later on until I can go out and try the 7 pin jumping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210403_36499.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	32779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210403_36687.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	32780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210403_36890.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	32781  
Old 04-03-2021, 04:21 AM   #11
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod78 View Post
Jam a fuse between the 11 and 1 o'clock pins on the trailer 7-pin this should send 12v to the running lights, check camera.

If it's on, it the power from your truck that is the problem. What truck do you have? Some 2019+ models have PWM running lights that don't give the cameras a clean power feed. In this case you'll need a 7-pin adapter with a relay to power from 12v pin when running lights are on, a power filter at the camera, or run a separate 12v feed.

If it's off, it's not wired to the running lights, pull the top centre light and take a look. Mine had shorted out and fried the cables back there to the point the furrion pre-wire had nothing.
I have a 2021 F350 PS Dually. Will try your suggestion once it warms up outside.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:22 AM   #12
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Not all hookups are powered from the running lights. Is your battery disconnect in the on position? The rear camera hookup in my Alpine is powered when this switch is on.
Yeah it is on.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:38 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Yeah it is on.
Something to keep in mind...you may want to just wire it to the center clearance light so that you can check the rear of the rv from time to time while driving..just turn on your lights for a moment

Unless the bcm is hot all the time..if the camera wire is supposed to terminate at the bcm fuse then it probably is just not connected right behind the power center you have in the picture...maybe it’s just the ground not connected

That wire may just make a home run from the rear shark fin to the power module
Old 04-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #14
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Something to keep in mind...you may want to just wire it to the center clearance light so that you can check the rear of the rv from time to time while driving..just turn on your lights for a moment

Unless the bcm is hot all the time..if the camera wire is supposed to terminate at the bcm fuse then it probably is just not connected right behind the power center you have in the picture...maybe it’s just the ground not connected

That wire may just make a home run from the rear shark fin to the power module
I am not even sure that the "BCM" is for the camera it may be for the electric brakes (brake control module) it has a 15amp fuse which seems like a lot for camera.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:13 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Look at these pics. In the first one it appears that BCM (Backup Camera Module?) is #14. Counting down there are only 13 slots used in the second picture notice there are two fuse slots empty. But in the third picture I pulled the fuse in the 13th slot went outside and the hose reel was dead. Yesterday I pulled one of the other fuses and put it in the #14 slot just to see if that was the problem it made no difference. It is kinda cold out so it will be later on until I can go out and try the 7 pin jumping.
The BCM is stands for body control module. In the trailer, it's a pc board made by ASA Electronics to control lights and slides, awning, etc. thru the In Command system. I doubt the camera is controlled by that but I can't confirm that. The two empty fuse blocks are empty because there are no wires in the adjacent wire terminals.

I'd first pull the camera off and find out where the wires feeding the camera go.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:21 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
I am not even sure that the "BCM" is for the camera it may be for the electric brakes (brake control module) it has a 15amp fuse which seems like a lot for camera.
I would just pull the center clearance light and see if it’s wired to the pigtail going to the shark fin ..if it is I would check connection ..if it isn’t I would just fish a new short wire to camera and call it a day...tape off old camera wire in the remote chance it is intermittently hot
Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The BCM is stands for body control module. In the trailer, it's a pc board made by ASA Electronics to control lights and slides, awning, etc. thru the In Command system. I doubt the camera is controlled by that but I can't confirm that. The two empty fuse blocks are empty because there are no wires in the adjacent wire terminals.

I'd first pull the camera off and find out where the wires feeding the camera go.
Yesterday I pulled the Shark Fin off and and there really is no way to see where the wire goes I lightly yanked on it and there is no movement, I also had the middle running light off and pretty much the same thing. The hole is small so I couldn't see inside it. I may just say the hell with it and wire it to the running lights. It just pisses me off that I spent all this $$$ on a new 5ver and have to rig it that way. I would take it to the dealer but they are 1.5 hours away.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
Old 04-03-2021, 05:42 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Yesterday I pulled the Shark Fin off and and there really is no way to see where the wire goes I lightly yanked on it and there is no movement, I also had the middle running light off and pretty much the same thing. The hole is small so I couldn't see inside it. I may just say the hell with it and wire it to the running lights. It just pisses me off that I spent all this $$$ on a new 5ver and have to rig it that way. I would take it to the dealer but they are 1.5 hours away.
Yes but I wouldn’t want them ripping into everything just to find that wire ..might cause more problems..it is a pain for sure but you know what is going on and it’s a easy fix ..I wouldn’t want them taking all the lights off or trying to get in the underbelly for that if they determined the wire connects somewhere else
Old 04-03-2021, 05:57 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I would power it with the clearance light but I tow with my lights on all the time anyway. My theory is the more I can do to increase being visible the better. You may want to consider a wireless endoscope. I have one similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-En...458010&sr=8-16 that I have found invaluable to have in my tool box. With sever neck injuries I can use this to look in places that would otherwise be very difficult to visualize to say nothing of using it to look in walls, over the chloroplast and into the underbelly, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
BCM would be the “in command” (Body control module) I think.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote