Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
jasin1

Doesn’t take much: totaling an rv

Pretty surprised at how a low speed maneuver can total a fifth wheel. I’m not sure how much experience the guy has with towing large rigs. Also it took 3 months to settle with insurance company,that seems kinda long.I try and research campgrounds for big rig access. Would be nice if there was a directory of only big rig friendly campgrounds.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I've not been to that park but boy I've been to some that sure remind me of it. First time I bought a longer trailer (38') I encountered 2 like that, both times they told me everything was fine and both times I got in/out by the skin of my teeth. Thankfully nothing like that happened. I now do a LOT more investigation of a park even if it has a cute, inviting name.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Something I learned, the hard way, from my flying apparently applies to RVing as well;
Don't let other pilots make your decisions for you. I've followed other pilots into situations that I had no business being in and got some really bad scares. Now I make my own choices. I still make bad ones from time to time, but I do it on my own terms and at my own pace.
This video will remind me of that when we're RVing.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
dutchmensport

My trailer is 41.5 feet long. We HAVE walked away from a couple campgrounds because we simply could not get into the spot. We try to check everything very careful, comparing campground photos, campground maps, and Google Satellite imaging. But none of that really shows how hilly, how may dips, or how deep the dips are at any site. All we can spot for are trees that could prevent backing in. I know how much room I need to back in, or pull in forward, and if it's too tight, we DO move on. But there's very little that can be done about hilly or dippy terrain.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
notanlines

Did y'all actually sit and watch 16 minutes worth of this dude talk about his problem? How did you come across this? I mean do you sit early in the morning and surf/dream of catastrophic stuff that might happen and then find a video of it? Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but April is four days away. The RV needs wax and it's time to load up for the summer, and think positive, not about totaling an RV you just bought. JMO YMMV
(Plus, if you have to post a video of it, find one that we actually SEE the action, maybe a minute long.)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
jasin1

It seems like in life there is always someone on the side saying “ yeah you should be fine”!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
... How did you come across this? ...
YouTube video always lists suggested videos based on your previous watching history. I watch a lot of "how to" and "hacking" videos, along with new RV videos, like from "Big Truck Big RV, and even my local dealership. Based on the YouTube algorithm. Sometime some pretty insane videos pop up for suggested viewing. That's probably how the original poster came across this one.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Did y'all actually sit and watch 16 minutes worth of this dude talk about his problem? How did you come across this? I mean do you sit early in the morning and surf/dream of catastrophic stuff that might happen and then find a video of it? Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but April is four days away. The RV needs wax and it's time to load up for the summer, and think positive, not about totaling an RV you just bought. JMO YMMV
(Plus, if you have to post a video of it, find one that we actually SEE the action, maybe a minute long.)
Yeah yeah I get it ... some of you guys have forty + years of rv experience . But I’m relatively new..if I purchased another big boat I wouldn’t be doing all of this research.. I had a rainy day and yes I was surfing because I like to research things...I will try to keep the boring videos to a minimum...I will give you one of my boats for a month and see how much researching you do
Old 03-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
YouTube video always lists suggested videos based on your previous watching history. I watch a lot of "how to" and "hacking" videos, along with new RV videos, like from Hawlette RV and even my local dealership. Based on the YouTube algorithm. Sometime some pretty insane videos pop up for suggested viewing. That's probably how the original poster came across this one.
Yup my YouTube feed is mostly rv related now
Old 03-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post

...I will give you one of my boats for a month and see how much researching you do
Where do I come to pick up the keys ??? Make sure your insurance is up to date !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
rhagfo

Well if you look at the video, at 5:57 it shows the 5er what appears to be right after the back wall is ripped off. He is not even on the road don't know why he felt he need to go down the grass slope, but that likely was part of the issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #12
notanlines

"I will give you one of my boats for a month and see how much researching you do"
In our first 35 years of marriage we owned 23 boats. Yes, some were maybe more 'water-worthy' than others.
The very last boat we bought was a 38' Fountain Lightning, 500 HP's. We bought this new and had it for almost 13 years.
I was fueling this boat one morning and a young man asked me what my wife said when I brought this home. I told him right quick that my wife told ME that we were bring this home. And then I told him in a few short words that toys of this magnitude require consent from both sides. That way when the bills start rolling in there is no one to blame. Even today we are very sorry we had to let her go, but RV's and cycles take all our time (and all our free money, I might add)
When we finally get out of Florida (knee won't heal after DW's replacement) and head to Maryland, if we get by to see Marshall and his wife we'll call and see if you can show us (means take a ride) your newest boat!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
"I will give you one of my boats for a month and see how much researching you do"
In our first 35 years of marriage we owned 23 boats. Yes, some were maybe more 'water-worthy' than others.
The very last boat we bought was a 38' Fountain Lightning, 500 HP's. We bought this new and had it for almost 13 years.
I was fueling this boat one morning and a young man asked me what my wife said when I brought this home. I told him right quick that my wife told ME that we were bring this home. And then I told him in a few short words that toys of this magnitude require consent from both sides. That way when the bills start rolling in there is no one to blame. Even today we are very sorry we had to let her go, but RV's and cycles take all our time (and all our free money, I might add)
When we finally get out of Florida (knee won't heal after DW's replacement) and head to Maryland, if we get by to see Marshall and his wife we'll call and see if you can show us (means take a ride) your newest boat!
38’ Fountain..now that’s a NICE boat! .:bow