Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
toneloc

towing question

please forgive me if i post in the incorrect spot!

i have a 2013 keystone summer land m 1890
Dry Weight 4,059 lbs.
Payload Capacity 2,351 lbs.
GVWR 6410 lbs.
Hitch Weight 410 lbs.

my towing rig used to be a 2009 tahoe with 3.10 gears and a 5.3l figured out real quick that this was terrible..
just purchased a 2005 yukon xl denail that has a tow rating of 7900lbs with 3.73 rear gears but its also AWD but longer wheel base
dont plan on towing on grades in colorado but in the off chance that i would like to does it sound possible? i dont fill water tanks in the camper which in a FULLY loaded instance i would be at 5600lbs in the camper.

help please...thank you!
toneloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

That bumper pull has a tongue weigh to about 700 lbs. Add all those folk in the passenger seats weights as well as your own and the hitch weight and the stuff you have loaded in the SUV. Now compare that to the yellow payload placard in your driver door frame. If you are close or over, the SUV will be unhappy. Doesn't really matter what Chevy claimed as your tow limit as they didn't test with a camper; they used a flat bed with cement blocks with no wind drag to speak of. I don't know anything about Chevy SUVs but your Sumerland isn't all that long and you might be OK.. . just not enough info. What engine/tranny do you have? What is your payload? How much are you going to add to the tongue weight?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
toneloc

thanks for the info!! tranny is a 4L60E with 3.73gear ratio and my engine is a 6.0L
the camper length is 23.58ft as far as what im going to "add" to the tongue weight im not too sure what that means. Excuse my lack of awesome camper wisdom haha
i do know that we are using a weight stabilizer and sway bar to help! im also not sure about my payload! thank you for the help!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #4
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneloc View Post
thanks for the info!! tranny is a 4L60E with 3.73gear ratio and my engine is a 6.0L
the camper length is 23.58ft as far as what im going to "add" to the tongue weight im not too sure what that means. Excuse my lack of awesome camper wisdom haha
i do know that we are using a weight stabilizer and sway bar to help! im also not sure about my payload! thank you for the help!
Find your vehicle's 'cargo carrying capacity' (payload) by looking for the sticker (example below) posted on the pillar inside the driver's side door. Reply back with the result.

Your available payload is the amount of weight you can carry in the vehicle. This includes the weight of you and all passengers, the gear loaded into the truck, the weight of the hitch you are using and the tongue weight of the trailer you are pulling. All this weight gets deducted from the value on the yellow sticker, so if it adds up to more than the sticker value, you are overloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	32657  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:

Dry Weight 4,059 lbs.
GVWR 6410 lbs.
Hitch Weight 410 lbs.

my towing rig used to be a 2009 tahoe with 3.10 gears and a 5.3l figured out real quick that this was terrible..
just purchased a 2005 yukon xl denail that has a tow rating of 7900lbs with 3.73 rear gears but its also AWD but longer wheel base
dont plan on towing on grades in colorado but in the off chance that i would like to does it sound possible? i dont fill water tanks in the camper which in a FULLY loaded instance i would be at 5600lbs in the camper.

help please...thank you!
Two numbers you've posted above mean absolutely nothing in the rv world;
#1 the dry weight of any rv
#2 the tow rating of any vehicle.
As mentioned you'll need several weights posted on your vehicle & rv to confirm the vehicles capabilities, but those 2 are not part of the equation.
Typically SUVs are great people haulers, but not necessarily suited as rv haulers due to low payloads.
Post your vehicle payload & the GVWR of your rv printed on the manufacturer tag on the drivers side front corner. From these 2 weights you're able to get a good estimate of your vehicle capabilities. But from experience with other SUVs you may be disappointed in the outcome.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:19 PM   #6
toneloc

Here is the license of the tag! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_175106.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	32674  
Old 03-27-2021, 04:45 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Your payload is 1370 lbs. This is the most your SUV can carry (payload). The camper will use about 700 lbs of your usable payload. Then you have to add the weight of your hitch, the weight of the passengers/driver and the weight of the other stuff in your SUV. Is these weights total less than 670 lbs, you will be OK as far as payload. Just a guess but I think your should be good. As far as "awesome camper wisdom" any knowledge I have picked up over the years has been because I paid for it by making mistakes and learning a bit. I didn't look at RV forums when I started and made some horrible overloading errors that luckily were not fatal. You were smart enough to ask. Don't hesitate to ask as there are some smart folks on this forum (I am not one of them). Last, if you are married and have a wife, NEVER DISCLOSE HER ACTUAL WEIGHT on this or any other public forum. LIE and say she weighs 110 lbs or something. (another lesson learned by hard experience).
Old 03-27-2021, 05:24 AM   #8
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Your payload is 1370 lbs. This is the most your SUV can carry (payload). The camper will use about 700 lbs of your usable payload. Then you have to add the weight of your hitch, the weight of the passengers/driver and the weight of the other stuff in your SUV. Is these weights total less than 670 lbs, you will be OK as far as payload. Just a guess but I think your should be good. (much snippage)
Batteries, propane tanks, Junk in the pass through, and the weight distributing hitch are all close to the ball and therefore consume load capacity of the Denali. Take a good look at the hitch receiver. There should be a tag that states its maximum loading. For example, my 2014 F150 Ecoboost SCREW has a label that states it as 1050 lbs.

Ford states a lot of “capabilities” that do not make a lot of real world sense. Even the “maximum conventional trailer” can exceed the hitch maximum when using 12% to 15% on the ball. For my set up, the maximum load on the hitch is the critical factor. For you, it could come down to exceeding payload.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Toneloc with a TV that large are you carrying a large family or lots of gear inside the vehicle? I ask because that 1370lbs. will disappear quickly if you are. With that payload minus 120 for a good wdh, 4 folks and gear at 600 then the 700lbs. for the tongue weight you will then be overweight (120+600+700 = 1420 // 1370 vs 1420 = 50 lbs overweight).

Although that is a full size XL SUV it will still be susceptible to the yaw and sway introduced by a 6400lb. trailer. I would highly recommend a good, strong weight distribution hitch with built in sway and steer clear of any hitch that uses the side attached friction sway bars.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #10
EuroBean

Quote:
Don’t over work that trans. Get out of the throttle when going pulling up hill. I’m a GM dealer tech and have rebuilt many of those trans. Most all them failed from pulling to much or pulling to hard on hills.
EuroBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

OP hasn't checked back in since March 27th. Kind of pointless to extend advice if the OP isn't coming back to the forum to read it.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #12
Tireman9

Quote:

Dry Weight 4,059 lbs.
GVWR 6410 lbs.
Hitch Weight 410 lbs.

help please...thank you!

Weights are interesting but what is really needed are your actual scale weights with the TV & TT both fully loaded to the heaviest you ever expect to be. Then we can make informed recommendations on MINIMUM cold inflation pressure and the low pressure warning level for your TPMS. Otherwise we are just guessing.

Tags
tow, towing