Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
GeeDubb

Right on the Edge of Trucks Capabilities

Not trying to start a mud throwing contest between the weight police and the opposition but:

Regarding the truck in my signature. It has a cargo rating of 2377 lbs the lowest in this model year line up for 3/4 Chevy trucks and lower than the newer Ford F-150 with the heavy duty cargo set up. The Cougar 1/2 ton rated 24RDS has a dry pin weight of 1470 lbs leaving me with 907 lbs of available cargo weight. Figuring 250 lbs for the hitch, 300 lbs for passengers and 433 lbs for a full tank of fuel (I have a 61 gallon tank) that puts me at 76 lbs or just over the rated capacity of the truck. I haven't included weight of a tool box so figure another 50 lbs so now I'm ~126 lbs over the listed cargo capacity of the truck.

Is the spare tire in the dry weight of the truck? If not then I'm even more overweight according to the yellow sticker on the truck. If I tow the trailer empty it looks like I will have to vary the amount of fuel I carry to offset the allowable cargo load and learn to pack the trailer rear end heavy to lighten the pin weight.

Just thinking out loud...

Gary
Living PT at the Lake in AZ El. 1730'
PT in the Mountains of SW Colorado El. 9100'
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I would suggest taking a "short trip to a CAT scale" and get a "real baseline curb weight" on your truck....

It currently is 9 years old and undoubtedly has some "not OEM equipment" added. Things like the ratchet straps stored under the back seat, the Weather Tech mats, the maps in the glove compartment, the TPMS on the dash, the running boards, the leather steering wheel cover all "add weight to the "OEM condition when it was new"... Heck, even changing the OEM tires, putting on aftermarket shocks, or air bags all will change that 2377 payload "sticker"...

Once you have a "known value at the starting line" you can add passenger weights, add hitch weights, etc to get to a "valid best guess"... Right now, calculating "best guesses" and coming up over the truck GVW is not a good position to be in, knowing there's things added to the truck that you're forgetting to put on paper.....

No "mud slinging" involved, but if you know you're going to be close, it's imperative (IMHO) to be even more accurate by knowing the exact starting point....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

No mud throwing required ,

That's a 10k gvw trailer. The listed pin of 1430 will never happen and is meaningless - when they added batteries and propane that disappeared. Unless you scale the rig you need to go by the gvw and figure at least 20% for your anticipated pin weight or 2000lbs. Mine actually comes in at 21%. With the 983 you listed then another 50 for the toolbox you would be 656 lbs. over your cargo carrying capacity.

You said you're not new to RVing so you know there's no such thing as "traveling" with an empty trailer....unless you're going to stay at motels?? You may be able to travel at less than gvw but you are still going to be over it looks like - and I've never been able to get away with traveling, and planning to do anything, with 2 people, a hitch and 50lbs. of tools. As far as I know the spare is included in the weight of the truck for payload calculation purposes. Good luck on juggling.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
jasin1

Probably the only time that fifth wheel would ever travel light is when it was being driven from Goshen Indiana to the dealer by the delivery driver...don’t feel bad I went through this and a lot of others before you have as well...I upgraded to a 1 ton truck..it really is no fun at all having to weigh every little item you want to take with you....and it looks like you will be towing in the mountains a lot ...Good luck and welcome
Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
GeeDubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Probably the only time that fifth wheel would ever travel light is when it was being driven from Goshen Indiana to the dealer by the delivery driver...don’t feel bad I went through this and a lot of others before you have as well...I upgraded to a 1 ton truck..it really is no fun at all having to weigh every little item you want to take with you....and it looks like you will be towing in the mountains a lot ...Good luck and welcome
Thanks for the input.

If new trucks weren't $75k+ I'd get one. Funny thing is the truck I have has a 14,700 lbs towing rating but that doesn't do any good if the cargo capacity of the truck is the limiting factor. This something I didn't consider when I had my toy hauler. I weighed that truck/trailer combo loaded and came in under the GCVW listed on the yellow sticker but didn't consider that the cargo weight was exceeded.

Gary
Old 03-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeDubb View Post
Thanks for the input.

If new trucks weren't $75k+ I'd get one. Funny thing is the truck I have has a 14,700 lbs towing rating but that doesn't do any good if the cargo capacity of the truck is the limiting factor. This something I didn't consider when I had my toy hauler. I weighed that truck/trailer combo loaded and came in under the GCVW listed on the yellow sticker but didn't consider that the cargo weight was exceeded.

Gary
When I started on this forum back in aug/sep..my posts mirror yours..even the same year truck but a ram 6.7..again don’t beat yourself up ..many many instances on here of people in the same situation
Old 03-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
GeeDubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would suggest taking a "short trip to a CAT scale" and get a "real baseline curb weight" on your truck....
No "mud slinging" involved, but if you know you're going to be close, it's imperative (IMHO) to be even more accurate by knowing the exact starting point....

Thanks. There is a scale on the way to the trailer dealership. I'll stop and weigh the truck on my way to pick of the trailer as I have not picked it up yet.

Gary
Old 03-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
notanlines

GeeDub, AND on the way back with the new trailer and hitch. You are going to be overweight, and not just a little. I'm not telling you shouldn't tow that way, just that you should KNOW where you stand and then either do it or don't. It will be your choice. But I will put up a six pack of Yuengling that you will be close to 800-1000 pounds over after about three years. I'm just sayin' and this ain't my first rodeo.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote