Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #1
Cougar Jim

Lost Furrion antenna wing

Last summer the wing of the tv antenna “disappeared”. The base is still solidly on the roof. I have made it weather tight with Flex Tape. I purchased a complete Same model antenna but just wish to install the wing on the old base.

My question is: there are two wires coming out of the roof, one black and the other is purple. Those are different colors on the new wing which are labeled “TV” and “radio”. Does anyone know which is the TV wire coming from the roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F732F2E0-32DC-4CB2-9382-5C3BCC76403D.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	31914
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
jim1

Hi mine did the something on our 2019 Cougar 315RLS and Keystone very grudgingly replaced it. Then about 2 months later a recall came out to replace the Furrion wing with a Winegard 360 antenna from Keystone. You should check into it, you can probably get it on the recall.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
Mmeyer

Jim I believe the purple wire is for the radio antenna and the black is for the tv. Mine broke off and keystone sent me a new one under warranty. My key tv control module burnt up the control board when my antenna broke. Hope this helps.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Cougar Jim

Thanks guys for your input! Sorry for the delay but been out of town on business.
Hope to get to it next weekend.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:34 AM   #5
Cougar Jim

Matt...you were correct about the wire colors.

I first planned to replace just the wing on the old base but ended up replacing the old base. The wing fits into a socket in the base. The socket is only 3/8”x 1 1/4” and is held by two horizontal screws. The socket is in the rear with nothing in the front to secure the wing from lifting at highway speed. I feel the wing fluttered at speed and finally broke off.

Before we leave in April I need to find a way to secure the front of the wing to the base or to the roof. Right now I’m thinking of a plastic strap going from a screw mount in the rear of the base over the wing and secured to a screw mount in the front but I’m open for suggestions.

Those of you that have the wing antenna might think about doing the same.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
bobbecky

Neighbors across the street from us have a 2019 Cougar 5th wheel trailer that has one of these Furrion antennas, and they were telling me that the wing is bouncing around while the rig is being towed. This is the NHTSA recall notice:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V398-4303.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
Cougar Jim

I was aware of a "soft" recall by my selling dealer. They would have replaced it but they are 900 miles away in OK. There are two dealers here in the Tucson area that handle Keystone but I won't go to either of them for any service and I work part time for one of them as a Moho transporter.

I'm still going to use two fiberglass straps to help stabilize the wing as I mention in my previous post.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #8
Cougar Jim

Just an update....I put only one plastic ( front to back) strap and after800+ miles of our 4500 mile trip the wing is still there. 👏
Old 04-06-2021, 06:41 AM   #9
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
Matt...you were correct about the wire colors.

I first planned to replace just the wing on the old base but ended up replacing the old base. The wing fits into a socket in the base. The socket is only 3/8”x 1 1/4” and is held by two horizontal screws. The socket is in the rear with nothing in the front to secure the wing from lifting at highway speed. I feel the wing fluttered at speed and finally broke off.

Before we leave in April I need to find a way to secure the front of the wing to the base or to the roof. Right now I’m thinking of a plastic strap going from a screw mount in the rear of the base over the wing and secured to a screw mount in the front but I’m open for suggestions.

Those of you that have the wing antenna might think about doing the same.
I took mine apart a couple of days ago. I don’t recall the connecting section dimension as small as 3/8”. There is a horizontal raised tab to “lock” the front to the base. Mine had only two screws (on the back opposite to the tab in the front. Those screws are short pan-head type, about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long, and are tapered like wood screws. With the thickness of the outer plastic, there doesn’t seem to much screw left to find purchase into the base. I replaced the screws with longer ones. I hope it prevents the wing from flying away or beating the hell out of the roof membrane! My 2019 Bullet 248RKS was not in the list of trailers for the furrion recall - I don’t know why!
Old 08-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #10
Cougar Jim

Just another update on my antenna replacement.....after my 4500 rt to Florida all is good and we are now 3800 miles into a 5000 mile trip back in the state of Wyoming where we lost it last year. Still all is good and the strap is still on over the wing. Hope I haven’t jinxed myself for posting this update.����
Old 06-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
In_iffit

2019 Keystone Cougar Furrion Antenna

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the info everyone has provided. I have a 2019 29RLD, we have been lucky I guess with our antenna until now. It flew off during our last trip and I happen to find this forum and see there was a recall but when I called Keystone they said my model wasn’t included. It’s crazy because we had the bat type furrion antenna and one of you provided a link where is shows serial numbers and my serial number falls in the recall even though the model isn’t listed. I am not a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7717.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	919.2 KB
ID:	44336  
In_iffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Contact the manufacturer of the antenna.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #13
dutchmensport

I had a Rayzor style antenna on the top of my Montana. After the 3rd break, I replaced it with a Wingard 360+. It doesn't get caught in low hanging tree branches in campgrounds any more.

Before:

After:

Old 06-24-2023, 05:45 AM   #14
In_iffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Contact the manufacturer of the antenna.
I could but everyone that went that route got the same antenna sent to them and they continue to have the same issue. One person said they lost three of the furrion antennas. It’s really scary though, what if it flew off and hit someone’s windshield. We wouldn’t know it unless the person it hit caught up to us or got our tag number. So dangerous they could fly off and kill someone.
Old 06-24-2023, 05:47 AM   #15
In_iffit

Thanks! I think that was the antenna they were giving people to replace the furrion. I was looking at those. Does it work well?
Old 06-24-2023, 05:51 AM   #16
In_iffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I had a Rayzor style antenna on the top of my Montana. After the 3rd break, I replaced it with a Wingard 360+. It doesn't get caught in low hanging tree branches in campgrounds any more.

Before:

After:

Thanks! I think that was the antenna they were giving people to replace the furrion. I was looking at those. Does it work well?
Old 06-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #17
dutchmensport

Does it work well?

Yes, it actually does. It nice not have to point the antenna any more. It is all directional. I was skeptical about this, but took a chance. I've not been disappointed.

When parked at home in my own drive-way, I could pick up about 65 channels over the air. But in order to do so, I had to constantly reposition the antenna.

With the Wingard, I'm now picking up 85. I kid you not!

What I find interesting is a double set of stations. For example, when flipping through the channels, I may get 8-1, 8-2, and then 8-3. But keep going and I get 8-1, 8-2, and 8-3 again. Sometimes they are the same show, sometimes they are different. It turnes out I'm actually getting television networks from 2 different locations.

Where I live, it's mostly Indianapolis. But I may also get those same double channels from Cincinnati, Ohio, or even Fort Wayne, Indiana. They might be the same "network", but the locals -2, -3, -4's are different and the broadcast news is different for different cities.

So, yes, the Over-the-air antenna works really, really nice. And all I did was swap antenna's. I'm still using the same booster as originally. I did not feed power to the Wingard, nor do I use the internet, wifi it can offer. I already have a separate internet "thing" that works for us. I didn't need yet, another plan to pay for.

When camping, of course, it's only as good as the local stations within reach. Trees, mountains, valleys, and buildings can block television signals. There nothing that can be done about that. So, sometimes camping, depending on where we are at, we may get only 10 stations, and other times we may get 70.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:28 AM   #18
In_iffit

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Does it work well?

Yes, it actually does. It nice not have to point the antenna any more. It is all directional. I was skeptical about this, but took a chance. I've not been disappointed.

When parked at home in my own drive-way, I could pick up about 65 channels over the air. But in order to do so, I had to constantly reposition the antenna.

With the Wingard, I'm now picking up 85. I kid you not!

What I find interesting is a double set of stations. For example, when flipping through the channels, I may get 8-1, 8-2, and then 8-3. But keep going and I get 8-1, 8-2, and 8-3 again. Sometimes they are the same show, sometimes they are different. It turnes out I'm actually getting television networks from 2 different locations.

Where I live, it's mostly Indianapolis. But I may also get those same double channels from Cincinnati, Ohio, or even Fort Wayne, Indiana. They might be the same "network", but the locals -2, -3, -4's are different and the broadcast news is different for different cities.

So, yes, the Over-the-air antenna works really, really nice. And all I did was swap antenna's. I'm still using the same booster as originally. I did not feed power to the Wingard, nor do I use the internet, wifi it can offer. I already have a separate internet "thing" that works for us. I didn't need yet, another plan to pay for.

When camping, of course, it's only as good as the local stations within reach. Trees, mountains, valleys, and buildings can block television signals. There nothing that can be done about that. So, sometimes camping, depending on where we are at, we may get only 10 stations, and other times we may get 70.

Thank you! That’s awesome. I ordered it today. I didn’t want to rush into buying one until I was sure we would be happy with it. We are not going on another trip until October so I knew we had time to decide. Most places we stay have cable but there have been a few that didn’t. One trip it rained 6 out of 7 days so it can get quite boring.

We may consider the Wi-Fi in the future. Most places we stay have Wi-Fi also and we usually just use our cell phones as a hotspot. We only take it out 3 or 4 times a year so I wouldn’t want to pay for a plan we would hardly use either.

Again thank you so much for your detailed message I truly appreciate it 😊

Tags
antenna