Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
Nickolus

Outlets not functioning

Hello everyone, I come to this forum in need of assistance/advice. I’m currently in a 2017 keystone passport grand touring, and the outlets shut off overnight while it was raining.
After some research, I found that the outlets tripped from being wet. I’m guessing it was because of the outside outlet that had something plugged into it overnight, leaving the other outer exposed to rain.
I’ve tried resetting the GFCI outlet in the bathroom, but no luck. I’ve turned off everything in the main breaker, but some things still seemed to be powered on(I guess by the batteries?). I’m not sure if unplugging the RV from electrical would fix anything.
If you have any more suggestions or questions, please let me know.
Thank you!
Nickolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like something got wet. Realize that there are 2 separate power systems in your RV; 12vdc (batteries/converter) and 120vac. Your outlets are 120vac along with the microwave, AC, TV etc. Your lights, furnace motor, fridge (if RV type), water pump and other items are 12vdc. You mentioned outlets out and "some other things". What would those other things be? As I mentioned, sounds like either the open outlet outside, or what was on the end of the cord, got wet in the rain. You said you "tried" resetting the gfi outlet in the bathroom with "no luck"; did it reset? Did it just pop back out because it won't reset? There very well could be another gfi outlet somewhere in the trailer - have you looked?

Turning off the breakers will turn off the 120vac items in the trailer. The 12vdc items will still operate off the batteries and they are controlled by the fuses located next to the breakers.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Diver

did the GFCI not reset ??
if so there is still some water causing a short
if it did reset ...possibly another GFCI,, look at all plugs
Old 01-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Nickolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds like something got wet. Realize that there are 2 separate power systems in your RV; 12vdc (batteries/converter) and 120vac. Your outlets are 120vac along with the microwave, AC, TV etc. Your lights, furnace motor, fridge (if RV type), water pump and other items are 12vdc. You mentioned outlets out and "some other things". What would those other things be? As I mentioned, sounds like either the open outlet outside, or what was on the end of the cord, got wet in the rain. You said you "tried" resetting the gfi outlet in the bathroom with "no luck"; did it reset? Did it just pop back out because it won't reset? There very well could be another gfi outlet somewhere in the trailer - have you looked?

Turning off the breakers will turn off the 120vac items in the trailer. The 12vdc items will still operate off the batteries and they are controlled by the fuses located next to the breakers.
There was no popping sounds or motion when I hid the reset button. Just a mushy button that came right back up.
We looked at the 30amp plug in outside, and there seems to be a ton of water damage and corrosion. I’m guessing this may be the source of our issue. We’re looking into getting that replaced soon. I’m hoping that will fix it.
Nickolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolus View Post
There was no popping sounds or motion when I hid the reset button. Just a mushy button that came right back up.
We looked at the 30amp plug in outside, and there seems to be a ton of water damage and corrosion. I’m guessing this may be the source of our issue. We’re looking into getting that replaced soon. I’m hoping that will fix it.
You still have problems and the outlet is not resetting. Need to pursue that damage and fix the damaged plug and whatever else may have been impacted.

Edit: Turn the power off to repair/replaced the damaged plug etc.!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

And once you get things fixed, the GFCI will NOT RESET unless your plugged into shore power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
cavie

Quote:
Hello everyone, I come to this forum in need of assistance/advice. I’m currently in a 2017 keystone passport grand touring, and the outlets shut off overnight while it was raining.
After some research, I found that the outlets tripped from being wet. I’m guessing it was because of the outside outlet that had something plugged into it overnight, leaving the other outer exposed to rain.
I’ve tried resetting the GFCI outlet in the bathroom, but no luck. I’ve turned off everything in the main breaker, but some things still seemed to be powered on(I guess by the batteries?). I’m not sure if unplugging the RV from electrical would fix anything.
If you have any more suggestions or questions, please let me know.
Thank you!
If the outside outlet is still wet the GFI will not reset. GFI must have power from a breaker to reset.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The bolded part tells me it did not reset. It should be a positive feel with a "click". I'd suggest (with the power off) replacing the outside outlet AND the GFI. The factory installed outlets are junk. It sounds like the 30 Amp plug is corroded and needs to be cleaned up with some Emory paper or replaced. That's not causing the gfi issue but it will cause a serious issue in the future.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Those reset buttons sometimes to do press all the way in with your finger. I sometimes use something like the eraser end of a pencil to be sure it is fully depressed.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets