Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
jasin1

Roof and ladder durability

I’ve been going up on my roof every time I clean up at campground to put slides in. To blow leaves and sticks off of slides.
Is that advisable? The ladder supports don’t seem very well secured and the roof bows and flexes a little when walking.
I will install slide toppers in the spring but because of dual awnings I have to offset the dinette slide topper leaving about 3-6 “ exposed. So it looks like I will still need to check that slide for debris.
I know they advise to constantly check your roof for cracked sealant it just doesn’t seem that sturdy up there
Old 11-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I've had slide toppers on every camper with a slide and highly recommend the. As for the ladder roof question I wouldn't use it. Let me make this disclosure first. I'm a "plus size" guy. 6'3" big feet, and wide as well as tall. In my honest assessment those ladders are great if you fit the "less than the average American" size chart.

I owned several boats over the years of which even the smallest 19' bowrider) had some form of swim ladder. They were typically stainless steel and bolted into the substantial fiberglass and wood core transom. They felt sturdy in the water (where the water "cushioned" the weight ) as well as on land. But a trailer ladder is no comparison to a boat ladder. The trailer ladders remind me of the conversion van I had in the late 1970's, all show, not for real use, at least not by me.

As far as walking on the roof well again I have that size issue hut I will say this: With the way they construct trailers now if I were 1/2 the weight I am now I'd walk like there were fresh eggs under my shoes. Some people stomp when the walk, some shuffle and don't pick up their feet, neither method will work well up there.

As far as "inspecting" and chalking the roof the literature says every 90 days but from what I've read most folks end up doing it bi-annually. Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've had slide toppers on every camper with a slide and highly recommend the. As for the ladder roof question I wouldn't use it. Let me make this disclosure first. I'm a "plus size" guy. 6'3" big feet, and wide as well as tall. In my honest assessment those ladders are great if you fit the "less than the average American" size chart.

I owned several boats over the years of which even the smallest 19' bowrider) had some form of swim ladder. They were typically stainless steel and bolted into the substantial fiberglass and wood core transom. They felt sturdy in the water (where the water "cushioned" the weight ) as well as on land. But a trailer ladder is no comparison to a boat ladder. The trailer ladders remind me of the conversion van I had in the late 1970's, all show, not for real use, at least not by me.

As far as walking on the roof well again I have that size issue hut I will say this: With the way they construct trailers now if I were 1/2 the weight I am now I'd walk like there were fresh eggs under my shoes. Some people stomp when the walk, some shuffle and don't pick up their feet, neither method will work well up there.

As far as "inspecting" and chalking the roof the literature says every 90 days but from what I've read most folks end up doing it bi-annually. Hope this helps.

Ok I appreciate the info. ....I will use a telescoping ladder I purchased to check slides till I get the toppers. I should’ve had the dealer install them before delivery but didn’t want to delay picking up unit. Always the case when I’m impatient..... ends up costing many more days and aggravation in the long run
Old 11-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I inspect the roof at least quarterly. I have a dealership clean and treat the roof once a year. I do not use the ladder. I've told the dealership not to use the ladder - it is too flimsy, the anchors in the exterior wall come loose with one trip up and the tiny rails bend if you just happen pull too hard in one direction. I put an extension ladder to the top next to the step ladder and step over on the top step to use the top rails. I've repaired those ladders too much - they're just pretty? I guess.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder, roof