Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #21
Rdynbama

We bought the Spring Dream Queen from Amazon
Very comfortable, less than $300 and made in the USA
Tried to attach the link but can’t figure it out

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Dennydj2

RV mattress replacement

We have an Alpine with a King mattress. We were not happy with the mattress that came with the RV.......not firm at all. Took our dimensions and went to Verlo Mattress. He made one to our specs. He used individually wrapped coil springs, put different one inch firmness Foam pads on it. He set this all up on a table and we could lie down on it to see how it was. Ended up with two one inch Firm foam pads on top of the coils. We love it. Owner told us that he would take it apart and make alterations for one year if needed. Less than $650.......and worth it
Dennydj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #23
LHaven

Unfortunately, strut pressure alone won't solve the problem. When I installed my heavier mattress, I had to upgrade the struts a lot. I ended up with a situation where when the bed was down, the flap was literally floating weightless, but the strut still wouldn't hold the flap up. Increasing the strut pressure any further would just have resulted in a bed flap that floated halfway up. I would've had to change the entire geometry, and I wasn't really up to that, so I just carry a properly sized PVC brace.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #24
InkedMarie

We purchased from MattressInsider.com. I called, he asked what mattress we had (Serta, Sealy? from Lowe’s) and he looked it up. He asked our weights, our issues and made recommendations. I can’t recommend them enough!

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #25
bobbecky

About five years ago we had a custom RV King latex foam mattress made, with the 12” radius corners on one end, 8” thick, and they used a 4” dense core with softer 2” layers on both sides. We full time, and we really miss our bed if we are away from the rig. The mattress is also much lighter than the cheap spring mattress that came with the rig. We had A Better Bed in Fresno, CA make it for us.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Very comfortable, less than $300 and made in the USA 頎柬泛頎柬犯
Tried to attach the link but can鈥檛 figure it out 頎卷捶*鈾傦笍
Thanks, but we already have more Mao Tse-Tung thought than our family needs!

I have no idea how that got through the forum software. In case anybody is curious, the strings mean "Pan-Cambodia" and "Juan bang uranium."
Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #27
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Okay, I've always been able to sleep standing up and even known to fall asleep while carrying on a conversion, but I've met my match in this mattress... in fact it ain't even a contest, the floor of the trailer is much more comfortable.

The DW has always fussed about the beds in every trailer we've owned and I just thought it was her just fussing to be fussing.. but not this time...

We sleep on a Sealy Conform Premium at home because that's what she brung home one day and I fell asleep on it within 30 seconds...

Those of you who have replaced your mattresses in your trailers got any ideas on what I could buy that would be close to the Sealy we got at the house?

The mattress in the trailer is 70 X 80 but e can go 72" X 80" and still fit the slide.
Amazon 8" bed in a box memory foam. $250.00
Old 10-30-2020, 04:46 AM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
One of the solutions I'm contemplating is cutting the plywood base down to a full queen size and getting a Sealy to match the one at home.

I don't think a 12" thick mattress would be problematic in our trailer but I'll check that when I get over there today.

I too am going to check out the Denver Mattress suggestion and see if the DW would be happy with their offering.
Javi, while the bed is narrower, you will now have more room around the sides of the bed. When we look at a future new RV, we are likely going to go with one we can get a standard queen in. Our current mattress is 8" thick standard queen.
No issues finding sheets for it, and then we bought a King size comforter. With the King size comforter, we both have plenty of comforter.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #29
notanlines

We also had the king frame cut to a standard queen by a cabinet maker in Titusville and it is great having room around the bed, along with a standard size mattress. It looks as good or better than factory.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:01 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Thanks, but we already have more Mao Tse-Tung thought than our family needs!

I have no idea how that got through the forum software. In case anybody is curious, the strings mean "Pan-Cambodia" and "Juan bang uranium."
Maybe you should check your anti virus software. I don't see that on his post, only yours.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #31
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Maybe you should check your anti virus software. I don't see that on his post, only yours.
Shows up on mine too. Not the original post but when used as a quote.

I think it's a either a new covid that's computer transmitted or a voting mind control thingy.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Quoted post.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Didn't show up when I quoted. Strange.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #34
jimborokz

Our rig came with an 80" king and the mattress actually wasn't too bad, but there was no room to get around it. I cut the frame down to 60" wide and we got a standard queen mattress in a box from Nectar. It carries a 365 day trial period. It is as comfortable as our Temperpedic at home and cost only $600. We love it and we can get around the bed now. I did add stronger struts and it lifts very nicely.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:33 AM   #35
SR71 Jet Mech

The base in ours is actually sized for a 60”X80”, however we didn’t want the bed so high as we too love our inner spring firm with a 4” super topper at home.....but it’s TALL.

Tried a couple different options in the RV and finally decided to try an all foam mattress. Bought a Cocoon by Sealy. It has saved my marriage.
(DW tired of hearing ME gripe)

Back to enjoying the RV. Have had it since April and probably have 70-80 nights on it so far.

Don’t have any problems with the struts either. Seems like every time I log onto their website they’re having a sale. Ours was $599 (reg. $1200).

Hope you get it remedied!!
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
Javi

Thanks for all the replies so far, we've been talking about this and still haven't decided on a solution

I'm for cutting the base down and the DW is hanging tough on finding a narrow king.

I keep saying that we can find a dozen full queen mattresses to look at before buying, but we'll never see a narrow king before it's delivered to us.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #37
rhagfo

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies so far, we've been talking about this and still haven't decided on a solution

I'm for cutting the base down and the DW is hanging tough on finding a narrow king.

I keep saying that we can find a dozen full queen mattresses to look at before buying, but we'll never see a narrow king before it's delivered to us.
So true on seeing and testing before buying. Also it is so much nicer to have a fitted bottom sheet, I am not even sure you can find a set of bed sheets that have two flat sheets for a non standard bed size.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So true on seeing and testing before buying. Also it is so much nicer to have a fitted bottom sheet, I am not even sure you can find a set of bed sheets that have two flat sheets for a non standard bed size.
So true about the fitted bottom sheet. Either option of finding them or having them made will be $$$$. You can stop at any Walmart and get a set of queen sheets off the shelf.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:25 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The above is so true...and really critical for us. Firm, soft, med firm etc. all mean different things to different people...and I'm picky. Those differences combined with the difference putting the mattress on a solid platform vs box spring needs to be felt IMO. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #40
DWBinRI

Matress insiders

I got mine ( x2) at Matress Insiders pocketed coil and we love it they also do custom work if they don't make the size you want. Give them a look
DWBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress