Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
chateaunoname

Hideout siding issue

We were traveling though Missouri and the wind picked up to around 35-40 miles per hour. Looked out the mirror and the siding on the left side front was breathing. Pulled over and found that 3 panels had loosened. I snapped it back along the seam, but as soon as we got rolling it popped back out. Looked for air leaks that might be going in between somehow, but found nothing. Used gorilla tape as a temporary fix to hold it all together and came home slowly. Nothing blew apart. What little I have been able to find is that the staples along the upper edges of the panels had pulled loose. It is also a labor intensive job to pull it all apart to re-attach it. Pulling windows and front trim and maybe the door. Seriously thinking of using some 1" decorative washers and fastening into the studs and doing both sides to match and prevent the other side from doing it in the future. Thinking if I match the color, it will not look to much like a redneck fix. I did call my insurance and the $1,000.00 deductible makes me want another solution. Any ideas or experience from anyone will be appreciated.
chateaunoname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My concern would be: If air can get under the front edge, water WILL get under the front edge... That will lead to water damage to the wooden frame and the wooden floor in your trailer.

It's imperative that you find a way to completely seal ALL of the aluminum moldings around the perimeter of the trailer. If you're going to be doing that, then I'd just go the "extra step" and while the molding is removed, cleaned and resealed, I'd fix the front and top edges of the siding "the right way"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
chateaunoname

Agree

I have inspected the front trim that the panel goes behind and could not find any opening at all. Let alone enough to provide enough inlet to push the panels out. I do need to get up top to check that yet though.
From the few things I have found on line, it seems possible that the crosswind might have done it. Along with going 65 miles an hour down the road. The insurance representative owned a 2017 hideout and had panels pull loose when they drove through a dust devil.
Thanks and I will make a complete inspection before proceeding. I am also taking it to an RV shop for an estimate. Just trying to do what is needed, not shortcuts.
chateaunoname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout