Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
BobKat

RV generator issues

I have Champion 3650 30 amp generator. Used it many times to power our Keystone 327 fiver. Went to run out some gas to get ready for winter and my (pretty new) surge protector won't connect because of "Open Ground". Surge protector works fine on both 50 amp and 30 amp shore power from our pedestal. I can plug in a 15 amp plug on my generator and it works OK.
Is it the generator that has something disconnected?
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
MerlinB

In a normal RV electrical pedestal the neutral and ground are bonded and that is what your EMS is looking for. You need to bond the neutral and ground on your generator.

This article by Mike Sokol explains the whole deal and show how to make a bonding plug:

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/

2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You can either "make and use a bonding plug" on the generator or you can put the EMS into bypass mode to get power into the trailer.

The "potential issue" with bypassing the EMS is loss of protection "at the EMS"...

The "potential issue" with using a bonding plug is a possible "hot chassis" if the generator malfunctions.

Either choice has a "potential issue". It's up to each user to determine which issue presents the most favorable outcome for them given the circumstances of how they are using their trailer.

For me, I rely on my inverter generator to "monitor itself" via the built in voltage/current/frequency regulator circuits inside the generator. I don't feel comfortable, in a wet environment, touching a metal chassis on a generator while standing in wet grass with the bonding plug in place, so I bypass my EMS when using the generator.

For others, their decision may differ.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
BobKat

Thank you both for your answer. I was afraid there was something wrong in my rig.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator