Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
travelin texans

Surely it is, but is there 1/2-3/4 of the toilet bowl filled with water after each flush?
Just trying to cover all possibilities.
I've read that a certain brand of toilet has hidden areas in/around the base, between the bowl & the floor, that waste gets into causing bad odors, might be worth checking out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

I'm thinking Danny may be on the right track. If it were me I'd get a new toilet to floor seal and pull the toilet off the floor. Give the toilet a good inspection as well as the floor.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suspect that if it is a black tank leak, once the odor "increases after the 4th or 5th day, it wouldn't "disappear after sitting a week with no trailer use"... Once that smell dries on the top of the tank or on the coroplast under the tank, it's going to be there every time you open the passthrough or every time you flush the toilet... Odors from the black tank don't "come and go" like that.

I'd guess that it's air infiltrating the black tank contents "somehow" and migrating up into the trailer cabin "somehow"...

If it was "liquid escaping the tank" the odor would linger much MUCH longer than a day or two.....

The toilet, if it's a Thetford, is a likely source, as is the foam rubber seal that is used in trailers in place of the wax seal that's used in S&B houses.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #24
skids

Is there a way of removing the cap from the pipe vent and run some water into it to ensure that it isn’t blocked? You are not putting the cabin on a negative pressure with a fan are you?
Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Surely it is, but is there 1/2-3/4 of the toilet bowl filled with water after each flush?
Just trying to cover all possibilities.
I've read that a certain brand of toilet has hidden areas in/around the base, between the bowl & the floor, that waste gets into causing bad odors, might be worth checking out.

The Thetford in our 14 Cougar HC had recessed pockets down every side of the plastic column supporting the porcelain bowl. When the bowl seal started leaking the liquids accumulated in those pockets and put out a stench. The smell would go away if you didn't use it and let it dry but as soon as you began using it they came back. I just replaced the Thetford that came in our 2020 and they have, thankfully, redesigned the inside of that column to more reflect a Dometic and there are no pockets to retain the liquids.

OP says that the issue is really prevalent when running the black tank flush and apparently pushing those odors back into the camper? If the ball seal is good it would seem to be either the floor seal or the vent.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Logically there are 2 scenarios.
1. There is a liquid leak of black tank contents.
2. There is a condition that is causing the odor (air) from the black tank to infiltrate the interior of the trailer.

If you have confirmed there is no leak that leaves #2. The possibilities are several,
creating a negative pressure by running an exhaust fan without providing an exchange of air such as another vent opened or window opened and the neg pressure is great enough to get the odor past the toilet itself or around the floor where the toilet is mounted. Using the bathroom vent fan while flushing the toilet will create a "rush" of blank tank air into the bathroom. The other possibility is having a vent open close to the stack vent that allow the air from the black tank to enter inside.

If I'm missing something here someone please point it out as I don't think it's a ghost with a gastric issue hanging around.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #27
frank r

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Logically there are 2 scenarios.
1. There is a liquid leak of black tank contents.
2. There is a condition that is causing the odor (air) from the black tank to infiltrate the interior of the trailer.

If you have confirmed there is no leak that leaves #2. The possibilities are several,
creating a negative pressure by running an exhaust fan without providing an exchange of air such as another vent opened or window opened and the neg pressure is great enough to get the odor past the toilet itself or around the floor where the toilet is mounted. Using the bathroom vent fan while flushing the toilet will create a "rush" of blank tank air into the bathroom. The other possibility is having a vent open close to the stack vent that allow the air from the black tank to enter inside.

If I'm missing something here someone please point it out as I don't think it's a ghost with a gastric issue hanging around.
I am 95% certain that their is no tank leak. I know for a fact that the coroplast is not sealed well enough to conceal a leak (had a water pump leak that I first noticed because of the water running out multiple places in the belly of the trailer).

I do not see it being a negative pressure issue, as the odor shows up regardless of vents/windows being open/closed or the rooftop A/C being on/off.

The other popular idea is that this is being caused by a faulty toilet/floor seal. I have a trip coming up next week, and do not have the time to tear into that beforehand - so for now I will replace the vent cap (since I already have it and the install will take only a few minutes) and see if that does anything at all. If not - which I assume will be the case - I'll pull the toilet when I get home.

Again - I appreciate all the of the guidance thus far.
frank r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Frank pulling the toilet and placing it back might, MIGHT take 30 minutes at the very most if you have the seal. Disconnect the 2 retaining nuts and water line, lift toilet and remove the old seal (just pull it down/off the toilet drain, slip the new one on, drop it back down over the bolts (make sure the seal is inserted into the drain hole correctly) then reconnect. It goes really quick. Of course, hopefully the replacing the vent does the trick.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #29
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just a thought. Do you know if your outdoor kitchen sink drains into the blank water tank? Mine does, and and it drains via a Hepvo valve. If that Hepvo valve doesn't seal up the odors will come back into that compartment. I always turn on the water for a few seconds whenever I go to the camper just to keep that valve wet. I do the same for any "P" trap like the sinks. The water can evaporate if not used for any length of time.
Boy, that sounds familiar. My 2016 26RB Campfire has a familiar stench every time I open the big door to the outside kitchen. I always run a bunch of water into the sink there, but overnight it leaks out the sink drain. Of course with the overhead door open you don't notice it, but I keep it closed most of the time, especially when I leave for a few days.
I have no idea where the Hepvo valve is, can't see it by removing the under sink access panel. Been like this since new.
My bathroom sink is just to the left and above that outside sink; you'd think they would have drained it that way but I guess not enough pitch to have used a standard P-trap setup from the lower sink drain.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #30
vulcanwayne

Check to see if your toilet is a Dometic model 300? If it is then contact Dometic, they have a problem with that model. I just experienced the same problem and they sent me a new toilet. They have a 2 year warranty period.
vulcanwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #31
Bullet19

I own a 2019 Bullet 243BH and also recently contacted Dometic for a replacement toilet. Given the Passport and Bullet share many similar components it is likely you also have the problem toilet. There is no official recall of the unit but if you call they will offer you a replacement. Either a ceramic bowl for a small upgrade $ or the newly designed 300.

See this video ->
Bullet19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:17 AM   #32
frank r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanwayne View Post
Check to see if your toilet is a Dometic model 300? If it is then contact Dometic, they have a problem with that model. I just experienced the same problem and they sent me a new toilet. They have a 2 year warranty period.
It is a Dometic, but I don't see a model # anywhere.

As expected, the new roof vent hasn't helped.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 AM   #33
vulcanwayne

You will need both the model and serial number. They are located on a sticker on the base near the flush lever valve.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:02 AM   #34
Bullet19

Model # and serial will be on a sticker low to the floor, right hand side. I used my phone to take a picture of mine to read. It was easier than getting my head stuck between the toilet and the tub.
Bullet19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
frank r

My unit is the Dometic 300. I just spent 93 minutes on hold with Dometic customer service, only to be disconnected while my call was being answered. I called back, got an operator and was told to "call back after lunch". I have on words...or at least no words that I can use in polite company.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #36
vulcanwayne

When I called I was on hold for 30 minutes and then was told that a replacement was needed but I should call back in a couple of days to get my info in their computer system that they were only two operators working. I advised her that I was not willing to go through on hold etc. again and that all she lacked was my address. She then put the info in and the unit was delivered in a couple of days.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #37
frank r

Thank you for the tip - I'll be sure to push the issue if they try to push me off again.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank r View Post
Thank you for the tip - I'll be sure to push the issue if they try to push me off again.
Telling a customer to "call back after lunch" is despicable and should NEVER occur. I'm not defending Dometic when I say that right now, most CS departments are working with limited staffing, many at half staffing levels. After being completely shut down for the past 2-3 months, the "rush of business" has tripled or quadrupled and the staff is simply inadequate to give "pre Covid attention"....

Try calling Ford CS, GM CS, Keystone CS, Furrion CS, heck, try calling the local WalMart auto center and see how long you sit on hold....

These aren't "normal times" and expecting "pre covid attention" just ain't possible in nearly every business situation.

Give 'em a little slack, they are not "intentionally picking on you" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #39
frank r

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Telling a customer to "call back after lunch" is despicable and should NEVER occur. I'm not defending Dometic when I say that right now, most CS departments are working with limited staffing, many at half staffing levels. After being completely shut down for the past 2-3 months, the "rush of business" has tripled or quadrupled and the staff is simply inadequate to give "pre Covid attention"....

Try calling Ford CS, GM CS, Keystone CS, Furrion CS, heck, try calling the local WalMart auto center and see how long you sit on hold....

These aren't "normal times" and expecting "pre covid attention" just ain't possible in nearly every business situation.

Give 'em a little slack, they are not "intentionally picking on you" ...
Oh,I understand completely and wasn't angry about the hold time. My frustration was over being disconnected after sitting on hold so long.

Anyway, I called back, got a very nice lady after a few minutes wait. She was all set to process my warranty claim when she asked me for the trailer's VIN...

...guess I'll try back tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #40
frank r

Well, supposedly my new-and-improved stench-free Dometic Model 300 is being shipped out later this week.

Wish me luck...

On a serious note, thank you for all of the input. I will keep you posted on the results, but after we get back on Sunday, I don't have another trip booked until early August.

Tags
tank, vent