Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
AndyK

Replacing Power Cord on 2670bh

I camped last weekend and when I unplugged my power cord it was quite warm. I disconnected it from the surge protector and one of the prongs was almost melted. The surge protector is also toast. I’m thinking I should replace the power cord. Any ideas on how to access the bare wire end? Is it in the bedroom, under the bed? In the crawl thru? In the box on the left side of the bed? Should I get a 25’ cord or get 36’? TIA
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Northofu1

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
There are a few things you can and maybe should do here.
Plug in surge protectors only protect your trailer from a power surge, then it's dead. You will want to move on to something a bit more advanced than that and get something that protects you and your trailer from more than just power surges. The following video link explains a lot about plug in style protection, even though the products he shows are for 50a products they also have the same units for 30a. Quite a few people on the forum use this style and prefer it, if your not comfortable hard wiring in a unit, it's definitely the way to go.

I and many in here use a hard wired variety, I'm on my second as I had a TT with a 30a service and now have a 5th wheel with the 50a service. I installed them both with much cussing and sweating but the job got done.

In regards to your cord, some folks like pulling the cord from the trailer as it is easy storage, some like to install an external outlet and store cord elsewhere in trailer. That is just personal preference. Either way, if my plug looked like it had taken some heat like yours did, I would have it replaced, not just the plug. I would also go with an outside receptacle so I could replace the cord myself if anything else happened to it.
In my opinion, if you're not comfortable working with electricity, I would have an external outlet added to trailer, buy a new cord and either a "Surge Guard" or "Progressive Industries" plug in style of electrical protection. It is truly a plug and play peace of mind while travelling and camping.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:58 AM   #3
Pull Toy

The above post offers some good advice.

But before I did anything, I'd find out what drew enough current to melt the blade on your plug. Was it the pedestal or the camper itself. If you're not comfortable working with electricity, now might be a good time to reach out to a friend with more experience.

Good Luck, and welcome,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
Roscommon48

pull toy is exactly right.....what's up with the power? did you have everything on?
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:11 AM   #5
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
pull toy is exactly right.....what's up with the power? did you have everything on?
He said it fried the surge protector so I assumed it was a post power problem.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:15 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I'm guessing it was a poor connection between the trailer plug and the surge protector. An over current situation should trip the main breaker either on the pedestal or in the camper. A poor connection on the plug an cause arcing and that creates heat.

First I would pich that surge protector (they are useless IMO) and get an EMS. That would prevent that from happening.
Second, I would replace the plug on the existing shore power cable. If the plug was hot and burned the damage should be contained within about the last foot of cable, Cut the cable about a foot back and strip the wires. If any of the wires are discolored then cut another foot off until you get to "good" wire. Install new plug and go.

This happened to me on a previous trailer. That's exactly what I did to get going. Later I bought a twist lock kit and changed it over, added a "standard" female plug to the existing cord to make an extension and bought a new 30' cord with the twistlock to use as my new cord. My personal choice as I didn't like the idea of standing in the rain shoving a wet cable into an enclosed space. I reused that "dead space" by installing a central vac in it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
danf

I changed to a twist lock setup and removed the mouse door. I would recommend the same if you have to muck with the wiring anyway.

I used this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I have to go with the thought of determining the cause of the heat buildup as well. I'm thinking a possible bad connection. What was the condition of those plugs? Sure sounds like a bad/loose/worn connection. How old were the cables/surge protector?

My MIL lived in an old house. She was widowed and I went by every couple of days to check on her. She had central heat but loved having a space heater in her LR to warm her feet. I walked in one day and immediately asked "what's burning". She looked at me in surprise and said "What? I don't smell anything". It smelled electrical so I took my nose and let it lead me around. Walked into the LR and there were wisps of smoke coming out of the outlet where that heater was plugged in. I walked up to it and you could see the constant arc across one of the connectors and the start of small flames. I took care of it (later replaced it all) and asked her about that outlet ( it was OLD) and the plug from the heater (I had bought it for her and it was new - she loved the remote). "Aw, that plug has always been loose and wobbly". Hmmm, loose/wobbly (or worn, rusted, pitted) don't go well with big amp draws.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I recommend a Progressive EMS; I use the one that plugs in at the power source and I would get a new cord; it will have 3 bare wires on one end and the 3 prong 30A plug on the other but I don't care for the idea of putting a new 3 prong plug on the old cord and like one that is bonded around the cord for weather protection even though the plug sits inside the Progressive EMS. Lots of folks install the indoor EMS but I am too old to lay on my belly and work in one of the lower cabinets.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:19 AM   #10
mfifield01

I replaced mine a while back with this mini power grip. It still fits inside the current area.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGr..._t1_B000PGXQNC

Tags
power