Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
John R

Cpap

Just got a CPAP. wondering if anyone had problems with them in the fifth wheel under battery power.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I don't use one but I've seen several discussions on the subject. Have you tried using the search function and put "CPAP' in the search?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Click on the forum search tab and type in CPAP. I just got 3 pages of threads that have that term in them. I remember several threads with some pretty significant discussion by members who use CPAP devices, dry camp and how they "work around their machine's limitations"... I don't know that I've ever read, "It can't be done", so you'll be OK, just need to do some reading to get up to speed... Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
bobbecky

Here is a link to a discussion about using 12 volt battery power to run CPAP machines. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...-for-the-road/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Just got a CPAP. wondering if anyone had problems with them in the fifth wheel under battery power.
I've been using my CPAP while camping for years. I purchased the 12V cord for the machine that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. I don't use the heated hose, I have water in the humidifier but it is not turned on, its just passive humidification.

With this trailer added a 12V outlet under my side of the bed. The CPAP sits on the floor next to the bed, I have a piece of Masonite under it to keep it off the carpet. The trailer has two 6V golf cart batteries and has no problem running the CPAP all night. The solar panel recharges them during the day, or I use a portable generator if we are parked in the shade.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
chunker

I have used a CPAP for years and you have 2 choices to power it. Some will have a 12v plug to power instead of the 120 ac plug. Another is a small inverter that will plug into a 12v cigar lighter type that you plug the CPAP into. I have both. We don't dry camp often so the devices don't get much use.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
foldbak

I take this everywhere. Works great. Good for 2 nights between charges.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...egQIDRBg&adurl=
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
66joej

This works without using the heated tube. Lasts all night.
Available at Amazon.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1SwTQs346L.jpg

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
larryflew

Only used mine once during a power outage and it lasted overnight no problem. No idea how much longer it would have but trailer batts where still at 3/4 charge.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Twisties

First, you need to know the power requirements of your particular unit. Many now are 24 V DC in. You can go to CPAP.com and look up your unit to see their offerings and likely get this figured out.

Then you need to look at the trailer and see what it has available. Third, you need to consider your use: Boondocking, Generator, solar, shore power?

Generally, with shore power and an available 120V outlet, just plug it in like you do in a home.

Coming through the unit's batteries there are myriad options. The cleanest is likely to use a 12V Cig lighter type receptacle if one is available. Then if you are 12V you can plug right in with a proper cord (order a cord if needed), or if you are 24 V a purpose built step up transformer is what you want, something like this, but configured for your machine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's always good to have a Li-Ion backup battery for a couple of nights, like the Freedom suggested above. I use this, with more ah than the Freedom. But, the price has been skyrocketing...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 As noted above, turn off water and tube heat when on back-up battery, or whenever power is limited. Passive humidification is usually adequate.

Another option for running off of batteries is to install (or not install, but use loose) an inverter and a 120V receptacle. Most CPAPs require pure sine, but you don't need a huge amount of watts. 150W is probably more than adequate, or even less. Again, know your machine. In this case you simply plug into the inverter itself, or your installed receptacle as you do at home.

Good luck!

For 24V, you can also run off two 12V batteries hooked in series.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
foldbak

Been using for years.
https://www.sleepdirect.com/parts-an...yABEgKEYfD_BwE
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #12
3Wanderers

CPAP while camping

Quote:
I have had a CPAP machine for years and have no issues in our camper (2020 Impact 415). We are full timing and I have had no issues what-so-ever.
3Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Todd 423

If you're gonna run it on AC with an inverter, get a true sine wave inverter.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Different manufacturers have different voltages so the OP had best refer to the manufacturer's website. Some sell battery and adapters for their particular model. Some brands are easier than others to power...

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/docume...de_glo_eng.pdf

If you have a Resmed machine, note that some of the advice folks have given in this thread are NOT recommended by that manufacturer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
LCrabtree

My Experience

I have two power supplies, 110V for home and 12 to 24V converter for traveling. I installed a cigarette lighter receptacle next to my bed (check the current draw and be sure the cigarette lighter receptacle will carry the current). I turn off the humidifier function when traveling. I have spent many nights that way over the last year without any problems. I use the cigarette lighter plug regardless of whether or not I am connected to shore power. Turning the humidifier on draws a LOT more current and is problematic when boondocking.
LCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #16
Irishman2014

Smile

I installed a 1500W inverter in the front storage compartment of our travel trailer near our two 6 volt batteries and then installed a 110V recepticle right by the bed (which happens to be in the front of the trailer over the storage compartment). It's onviously more than enough power for just the CPAP, but I wanted the 110 capability to use as needed for other appliances. We have roof top mounted solar for recharging the batteries. On a 4 night boondocking trip it worked well without any issues.
Irishman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #17
tlist809

cpap battery

Quote:

I went on amazon and found a battery pack for my cpap. I turn off all heaters and the battery lasts for two days. and it can also be recharged in the truck using a 12vdc outlet.

Here is the one I got. You should search for the one that fits your cpap. CPAP Battery (2019 Model). For Philips DreamStation and System One. Now with LCD Display and Bonus Backpack Bag

Tim
tlist809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
Big1

Do anyone have pics, I am at a lost here?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #19
flookk

Quote:
When boondocking/dry camping don't forget about your Tow Vehicle battery. I used to hook up my inverter to the house batteries but my "new" Resmed was significantly quieter than the Fischer Paykal and the additional fan noise from the inverter disturbed DW. I put the 300w inverter under the hood of the RAM and run a drop cord through the baggage compartment up through the laundry chute and plug it in beside the bed. Without the water heat it uses very little power. I have run it several nights off the truck battery without issue and the truck usually gets a workout most days anyway.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

I added a lighter socket next to my bed and plug my adapter into that and then run the CPAP. Never had an issue with low battery after 3-4 days. An inverter will work but it is grossly inefficient to convert 12vdc to 110ac to 12-24vdc
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote