Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
Jlarson

Roof cracking noise

I was on the roof of my Bullet 221rbs spreading out the cover. Towards the back I stepped a couple times and the roof made cracking noise. The roof showed no dents or damage. What was the cracking sound?
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!!

Most likely the noise you were hearing was the roofing substrate under the rubber. The roof “deck” is fairly thin to help keep the overall weight of the trailer low. You should be ok, but from now on, use something to spread the load when your on the roof. 3’X3’ squares of some light yet stiff material will help spread your weight.

And for what it’s worth, most of us DON’T cover our RVs. Covering can cause issues, just search this forum using “cover” as the key word. Then while the results are loading go to the bathroom, pop some popcorn, pour a tall glass of some liquid and start reading.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure what model year Bullet you have, but most ultra-lite trailers are constructed with 1/4" OSB roof decking. It is NOT designed to support someone walking on the roof and the "cracking" you heard is probably the adhesive in the OSB breaking loose from the "wood chips". Without knowing how "big you are" or whether your trailer has a roof ladder installed by the factory, even a "walkable roof" is not engineered to support "unlimited weight"... In other words, what's OK for a 150 pound person to carefully walk on is, in most situations, not engineered to support a 350 pound person stepping between the rafters....

So, I'd suspect that if you don't see any "visible damage" and are "relatively sure the cracking came from the roof structure"... Then I'd take it as an "audible, friendly warning to stay off the roof" !!!!!

If you do a forum search for "walkable roof" you'll get a number of threads that will give you some good information on how to access the roof, how to use foam sheets or plywood (covered with carpet) sheeting to help spread the weight....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
RVPP

Makes cleaning a good time.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, roof