Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
chief702

Generator exhaust

The exhaust pipe on the generator for my 300MP is right under the bedroom slide out where the carbon monoxide detector happens to be. As you can imagine when I run the generator, the detector goes off....Poor design!!!!!!Anyone else have this issue, what was the fix? It is still under warranty, going to take it back to the dealer.
chief702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
BigCajun

Thumbs down

Yes, same issue with Raptor 361 LEV. Lots of fumes coming in from bedroom slide. I had to fight with Keystone to adjust the slide, finally got it approved...it helped but did not fix the problem. I purchased Genturi system and even with this, I still have CO problems. I did find some loose connections on the CO detector which caused the unit to run on battery and when the battery ran out, the detector would sound...usually at 4 a.m.(why does that happen?) I replaced with new crimp connections and new battery, but still have the detector go off while using the genny. I placed another battery powered CO detector in the bedroom and it does not go off.

I contacted the manufacturer, Quantum Group, and obtained a return id number, sent the CO unit to them in September and still don't have a new one. Quantum Group is a joke! You cannot get them on the phone, they do not respond to email or snail mail. I sent a letter to Keystone asking for help and got a phone call...The customer service rep called Quantum, got them on the line with me, then hang up. Quantum rep then told me that they never got my unit. However, in October, the rep told me that he had just received it. She would have her supervisor call me. That has been three days and I am not holding my breath.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

HOLY SUFFICATION BATMAN. IF THE DETECTOR IS GOING OFFAND KEYSTONE IS STALLING OR IS IT THE DEALERSHIP? I WOULD BECOME THE WARRANTY COMPANY AND FIX IT MYSELF. GET THE EXHAUST TO EXIT SOMEPLACE EALSE. THE SLIDE SEALS ARE NOT THAT SECURE THAT THEY WOULD KEEP CO OUT. I WOULD REROUTE THE SYSTEM. WITHOUT PIXS I CANT HELP YOU BUT WITH A LITTLE IMAGINATION YOU CAN COME UP WITH A FIX. JUST MAKE SURE YOUR CONECTIONS ARE TIGHT. GOOD LUCK
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

Ever heard of the Consumer Protection People...

Find the one's for your State or get in touch with the Local tv ststion with the best 60 minutes type reporter...... They'll make the calls and whatever else...

Only a suggestion.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
chuck&gail

IMHO if the detector goes off, it is unsafe to be in there. Personally I'd just fix it myself, rather then battle with government stupidity at any level. I think consumer protection is a myth. Why do Chinese products that kill keep getting into USA. Sure we are protected, ... not.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Ironryders

Has anyone ever put some sort of extention on the exhaust when the generator is running to move it away from the slide? I can see where heat would be a problem. Maybe insulated. Any ideas?
Ironryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
cumminsdad08

why not a Stack?. good tight seals that can be sliped on when you are ready to use it, and removed for transit. this would get your gases up and over the whole trailer? i don't know how these things are oriented on your trailers, but i would figure somewhere it would exit from underneath the trailer?
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Bob Landry

You would think the RV builders would learn some lessons from the marine industry. There have been many deaths because of faulty generator exhuast systems, leaky seals, and defective sensors. I can tell you that any time there is a death or even an injury because of negligence, and this certainly reeks of that, everybody goes to court. I would start with the Attorney General and the consumer Protection Agency in your state and see where that goes.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief702 View Post
The exhaust pipe on the generator for my 300MP is right under the bedroom slide out
That is an astonishingly bad design. Fix it yourself and worry about blame later, it's too dangerous to do otherwise.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
BigCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironryders View Post
Has anyone ever put some sort of extention on the exhaust when the generator is running to move it away from the slide? I can see where heat would be a problem. Maybe insulated. Any ideas?
That's what the Genturi system is. It routes the exhaust over the top of the rv.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Ironryders

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Gen-turi today for my Raptor 365-LEV. That is just what I was thinking of. Too bad someone thought of it first.
Ironryders is offline   Reply With Quote