Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The horse is dead? To keep on beating it seems like more effort than worth it. Here is what happens if you are overloaded and get into some sort of accident... Fran drives up in her Progressive-mobile with two big uglies getting out of the back seat. They have CIA vests on and she points her NAME YOUR PRICE TOOL at your wreck. The name your price tool doubles as a secret overloaded spy tool. Fran reads the results and if you exceeded some magical weight number, the two gorillas she brought with you haul off your wife and kids and pets and you are faced with life in an endless cycle of being overloaded threads!

Good one!! Thanks for the morning chuckle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #22
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yep, I agree I don't want a 1 ton dually so it is what it is.
Then why did you bother even posting the first post?!?!

I *love* how many people just like to “hear themselves talk”, or in this case “see their name/words in print”, but don’t understand the fine art of listening (reading) and learning.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #23
travelin texans

In your case then, as someone has already posted
"YOU'RE FINE, GO ENJOY!"…......& Good Luck!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
The top one is with my 5th wheel hook up to my truck and the second one is of course without but I do have the hitch in the back. Thank you for your comments I would like to know where I'm at on the weight.
Quote:
I'm sure that I will have to go back again and weight my TV without the hitch.
Well the hitch needs to be in the truck as it is part of the TV's weight, you are not going to tow without it.

The other thing, truck and trailer should be weighed ready to camp truck should be full of fuel and all items in it that would be on a trip.
Once the Truck and trailer are weighed, find a place to drop the 5er and go directly back and weigh just the truck.

Now you will have real numbers to work with. It appears to me that you weighed the combo and truck alone at different times.

Your real remaining payload (usable for pin weight) is scaled weight of TV subtracted from the TV's listed GVWR.

The trailers pin weight is the total weight on the TV's axles (front and rear) loaded, less the total weight on the TV axles without the 5er attached.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #25
sonofcy

Without visiting the forum he was just guilty of negligence, but now that several members have shown him how he is overweight if he now has an accident he is criminally negligent.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
infoshot

Bingo!
If the OP gets into an accident then being overweight can make him liable. They put those stickers on so the manufacturer is not.

The weight police are real.

I praise him for wanting the right thing.
infoshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #27
TYHLR

The OPs gross weight is more that I have with my dually pulling the camper. I would not attempt to drive his rig.

Since he does not seem to care that the truck is overloaded, I guess there is no reason to expect that the tires on the TV are rated to carry that load either.

Just another data point.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #28
Big1

Thank you guys for your comments.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #29
jimborokz

I hate to do this but...

At the risk of opening a whole new can of worms...but just curious.
I understand the comparison of scale weights to door sticker and all, but I'm just wondering. The scale weight is a static measure, but when I'm on the road bouncing around my weight is very dynamic. Designs take this into consideration. Does anyone know what RV manufacturers and truck makers use. In materials and stress classes I took years ago we used a factor of 10X for dynamic loads. Any of our Engineers have some insight into this?
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #30
CWtheMan

Starting on page 48 in the reference below you will find all the information nacessary to get an accurate reading from some scales. Just use the info applicable to your RV.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #31
CWtheMan

Starting on page 48 in the reference below you will find all the information nacessary to get an accurate reading from some scales. Just use the info applicable o your RV.

CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:40 AM   #32
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Starting on page 48 in the reference below you will find all the information nacessary to get an accurate reading from some scales. Just use the info applicable o your RV.

CW, I downloaded that PDF and have saved it in my RV Dropbox folder for quick reference from the road.

I will say that I've not done too much weighing before, just my truck with wood trash at the recycle center and a streetrod years ago at a grainery.

But reading this for what I have, at dually with a triple axle TH, I could see spending a LOT of time at the scales. And I've never seen scales, granted I've not looked very hard, that have the side clearance to pull up with more than half your rig off to one side. Is the side to side all that important?

In my case the RV engineers designed the with storage in locations that cannot be retally changed. There is the overhead twin bunk and the main storage tunnel up front, but as long as I maintain my garage load equally from side to side, how much "real" influence do you have for side to side loading?

Where would one find this type of scale? Pilot or some similar truck stop on the freeway? Most gravel pit type places don't even have side ground, just a scale similar to a bridge.

Any pointers on where and how long this may take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

ALL of the CAT Scales that I've seen are designed and constructed to prevent "side to side weights". There is a reinforced barrier at one end of the scales to prevent driving on the platforms in any position except being centered on the pads.

The following is a quote from the CAT Scale website: " Our scales can give you axle weights and a total gross weight, however, they cannot weigh each corner of the vehicle. We cannot provide individual wheel weights and, to prevent damage to your vehicle as well as our scales, do not allow that type of weighing."

The only "effective" way (that I know of) to weigh each wheel position is with individual scales. I don't know of any commercial scale or government "roadway weigh station scale" that has the capability to weigh each wheel individually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CATScaleHistory_03.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	23938   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat scale RVWeight.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	23939  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:30 AM   #34
Dan Lockwood

Thanks John.

If I use one of these, will I have to pay for three or four weighin's, or will it let me get multiple readings under one pay?

I'm assuming these scales will cost to use, correct?

Thanks again!
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

At all the CAT Scale facilities that I've used, there is a "one fee for one weigh" price (usually $12) and each additional "re-weigh" for the next 24 hours is $2.50. So, to weigh your complete vehicle, pull off the scale, then return to weigh your truck separately would cost $12 + 2.50 = $14.50 if you do it at the same scale on the same day. The CAT Scale FAQ is located here: https://catscale.com/contact-us/faq/ From that link you can access the entire CAT Scale website. One important part is the "how to weigh my vehicle" instruction page: https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/ scroll down to the "Truck and Fifth Wheel" section and it's pretty simple to understand the instructions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
<clip>
The only "effective" way (that I know of) to weigh each wheel position is with individual scales. I don't know of any commercial scale or government "roadway weigh station scale" that has the capability to weigh each wheel individually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
<clip>
Where would one find this type of scale?
<clip>
I know Escapees offers a wheel-by-wheel weigh as does RV Safety.

Escapees has fixed locations whereas RV Safety travels around. I recall reading about some other organization (can't find the link at the moment) where they'll come to you. Hopefully you're better at web searches than I.

Edit: I've only used the CAT scale approach as the other two mentioned are not reasonably convenient to my travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #37
Tireman9

Quote:
The top one is with my 5th wheel hook up to my truck and the second one is of course without but I do have the hitch in the back. Thank you for your comments I would like to know where I'm at on the weight.

If you are weighing to learn about tire inflation and max loading you need to get the truck & trailer "fully loaded" you ever expect to be. (food, fuel, clothes, tools people books, etc)

Ideally, you would learn the load on each tire position. For the truck, it is reasonable to assume near 50/50 side to side load split.
BUT
for the trailer, you need to assume 53/47 split between the axles (unless you get each axle individual weight.
You also need to assume a 53/47 end to end load split on each axle as almost no RV has perfect load split.

Using the heaviest loaded tire you should have a MINIMUM of 10% load capacity margin with the trailer tires fully inflated. Also, you inflate all the trailer tires to the tire sidewall infl to get the lowest Interply Shear possible.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #38
Ken / Claudia

Jim in post #29 brings up a point I have mentioned before and its more than many care to learn or understand. I sat through way to many crash testing videos and forgot most of the high tech stuff. But, I remember some of it, all vehicles including the towed type are going though all types of movement as they travel down the road. These are named Yaw, Roll and Pitch. Anything you do, turning the steering wheel, starting, stopping all create some of that. If you watch a patrol vehicle doing high speed turns with the camera inches from the tire, we would think any moment the tire will blow up.
I do not have any answer to the question, "how much more stress does a normal tire go though" while its doing its job, but panic stops, hard turns, big bumps place lots of more stress than when it is just rolling along.. How about RV tires being pushed and pulled sideways during a turn, not steered? How much more weight does a RV tire carry while at high speed and it goes over a large bump, going high less wt, coming down more weight.
Some of those things that happen to all RV tires is a good reason to get the best and heaviest load carrying tire it can handle in my mind.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #39
Big1

After hearing all of the comments something to me don’t seem right so I will go and get it all weighed again just to make sure. Thank you for all of the comments.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #40
sonofcy

Quote:
After hearing all of the comments something to me don’t seem right so I will go and get it all weighed again just to make sure. Thank you for all of the comments.
I hope you update us because the weights you originally posted show your truck GVW is 11,780 which is over your sticker GVWR and is illegal and dangerous. Your trailer is 13,180 and your pin weight is 3,200 or 24.3%. The 24.3% is a good percentage, but I will be surprised if a single axle truck can handle a payload of 3,200. Check the yellow sticker on the driver side door post, usually yellow. You may be in dually territory.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote