Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Cfitzkp

Paint protection worth it

Hey just bought a new keystone premier and dealer try to sell me a paint protection that would last 5 years for 2k was wondering if its worth it if not what does everyone use to protect the outside of there rv mines fiberglass thanx!
Cfitzkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

There are several different “protection” products out there. Latest trend I’m seeing is a product called “Nano Cure”. They claim 5 yrs and include decals. Read the fine print, because I believe it requires re application every year.

My 2012, got a good coat of Nufinish liquid within the first month. I was given some “trident” about 5 years ago and it seemed to do good. Would I spend the money? Probably not if I was going to wash/wax my trailer at least twice a year.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Cfitzkp

Its called FIRST PLACE FINISH
Cfitzkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Never heard of it. Doesn’t mean much because as I said, there is a myriad of products. Take some time to research it on the www, and then decide.

I stand on my original statement-wouldn’t bother if I was going to wash/wax my trailer twice a year.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

My opinion would be to laugh and pass. Depending on the finish of the trailer (I'm assuming Filon?) there isn't anything I've ever seen that would protect the surface for 5 years without doing everything everyone else does to protect the finish to try and prevent oxidation/fading...unless it is some sort of polymer coating that coats the existing finish....and I would surely pass on that. I've used something like that on an older vehicle I had just to see (didn't matter). Looked great...for a while. Trying to keep it up or refinish down the road was unsuccessful.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not suggesting that any dealership would "take advantage of a customer's wallet" but that is what they do to pay the light bill for their business.....

That said, if it's a "paint protection system" I'd be suspect. My reasoning: Your trailer doesn't have a "painted finish". It's a "molded in color" and is a part of the FILON fiberglass sheeting.

To me, a paint protection system is much the same as the current TV commercial we see several times a day where a couple are sitting in a fancy restaurant and she points out the "stretched out V neck on his shirt" (as if anyone would go to a fancy restaurant in an old Tee shirt). It's a Downy Fabric Softener advertisement. The message: Use our product, it'll make your old stretched out neckline look like new..... I'd suppose a "5 year paint protectant" would make the FILON paint (non-existant) stay "new looking for years, too......

Keep your money, buy a $10 bottle of Nu-Finish and spend an afternoon on your FILON siding. You'll be protecting your FILON finish AND the problem you'll face is how to pack around that heavy wallet (with all your money still in it).... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:10 AM   #7
gearhead

If your trailer is stored outside and you are obsessed with how it looks, you might try it. Realize you will likely have to jump through hoops... re-applications, maybe inspections you pay for, etc.
Expect that your claims of damage will probably be denied. Be prepared for frustration.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Just a high priced wax job IMO. First 5th wheel we bought had them do it, bugs didn't come off any easier that the one I have without it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint