Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
BadmanRick

If you have a sat prep hookup that should be a direct coax to the main TV area. The roof antenna connects direct to both tv,s via a splitter. Each of the wall connectors which have a 12v socket, a small button and led. They have a booster built into the plate with one coax connector on it. If you have an outside CABLE coax connector it also connects to the back of the wall connector. If you find the brand and instructions you will see that when you push the button it turns on the booster and connects to the roof antenna. When you release the button the led goes off and you are connected direct to the cable coax. Cable usually has a boosted signal direct from the cable connection. Most original cable/antenna connections are not the highest quality and deteriorate over time.
The satellite uses a high quality coax because the signal are lower than cable. The satellite box takes the satellite antennas signal and boosts it to the proper signal strength for the tv tuner.
If your installer found the satellite prep coax and checked the signal strength and found it too low then it is correct for him to upgrade the coax.
Does your satellite box have a built in over the air switch or is it automatic? Can you still use the roof antenna? Or did the installer bypass the roof antenna altogether?
Would be nice to have over the air tv if the satellite goes down.
Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #22
terrythetech

Hello.
I used to be a catv tech and own a 5th wheel Cougar. My splitter was incorporated into wall outlet in the bedroom. It also has 12 volt, direct wired, connection that will send power to the pre-amp that is built inside the rooftop antenna. I removed that wall plate and installed my own antenna power inserter and using a wall wart fed power to the roof top antenna/amp. I then installed an outboard splitter in the line coming from the antenna/ amp/ power inserter to feed the living room tv/fm radio. This was all for off-air tv. I would recommend putting in an a/b switch to be able to switch from satellite or flip the switch and off air from antenna would be available at your tv's.
Now that you are totally confused.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #23
Jacksonrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
If you have a sat prep hookup that should be a direct coax to the main TV area. The roof antenna connects direct to both tv,s via a splitter. Each of the wall connectors which have a 12v socket, a small button and led. They have a booster built into the plate with one coax connector on it. If you have an outside CABLE coax connector it also connects to the back of the wall connector. If you find the brand and instructions you will see that when you push the button it turns on the booster and connects to the roof antenna. When you release the button the led goes off and you are connected direct to the cable coax. Cable usually has a boosted signal direct from the cable connection. Most original cable/antenna connections are not the highest quality and deteriorate over time.
The satellite uses a high quality coax because the signal are lower than cable. The satellite box takes the satellite antennas signal and boosts it to the proper signal strength for the tv tuner.
If your installer found the satellite prep coax and checked the signal strength and found it too low then it is correct for him to upgrade the coax.
Does your satellite box have a built in over the air switch or is it automatic? Can you still use the roof antenna? Or did the installer bypass the roof antenna altogether?
Would be nice to have over the air tv if the satellite goes down.
Hope this helps.
Hi all.

I have checked this RV high and low. I haven’t found a wall plate with a 12V plug, hasn’t found a wall plate with a switch or any led.

I found one splitter in the main tv area...all with orange coax cables connecting to it.

I took the plates off of the back of the RV where the cable hookup and sat prep hookups are....the coax cables are black.

So logic tells me that there is a splitter or something that I haven’t found yet.

I won’t give up. Lol.
Jacksonrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable