Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Helptasha

HELP needed with Water Heater!!!!!

I'm new here on this forum and have never been on a forum... Don't even know if I'm doing this right...
My issue is, it got below freezing and I was out of propane so I turned water off at source and didn't stay in here for a couple days... When I came back and turned the water back on, I immediately started cleaning and taking a shower(hot water) but I noticed first the hot water while washing dishes didn't last long... So I waited for shower... Then taking shower I noticed water turned cold pretty quickly... About 2 hours after turning main water source on(after dishes after shower) I started smelling something burning... And it was coming from hot water heater... No smoke inside(the inside access is under the queen bed in my 04 outback) so I went outside and opened the w/h door and I noticed water was spewing out of the pressure valve(I now know it's a pressure valve from you tube��I'm new at rving) so I immediately turned the water off... Then after watching YouTube videos I found out I'm supposed to empty the w/h ever so often(I was never informed of this) so a couple days later of no running water I decided to try to turn water back on to rv... I opened the pressure valve and it POURED out the pressure valve... And would not stop until I finally turned water off at the source....
Helptasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think we need a moderator to move this into a new thread just for your predicament. Then everyone can offer help..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helptasha View Post
I'm new here on this forum and have never been on a forum... Don't even know if I'm doing this right...
My issue is, it got below freezing and I was out of propane so I turned water off at source and didn't stay in here for a couple days... When I came back and turned the water back on, I immediately started cleaning and taking a shower(hot water) but I noticed first the hot water while washing dishes didn't last long... So I waited for shower... Then taking shower I noticed water turned cold pretty quickly... About 2 hours after turning main water source on(after dishes after shower) I started smelling something burning... And it was coming from hot water heater... No smoke inside(the inside access is under the queen bed in my 04 outback) so I went outside and opened the w/h door and I noticed water was spewing out of the pressure valve(I now know it's a pressure valve from you tube��I'm new at rving) so I immediately turned the water off... Then after watching YouTube videos I found out I'm supposed to empty the w/h ever so often(I was never informed of this) so a couple days later of no running water I decided to try to turn water back on to rv... I opened the pressure valve and it POURED out the pressure valve... And would not stop until I finally turned water off at the source....

I have sent a PM to moderators requesting this be moved to a new thread properly titled to get you help as quickly as possible.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Is the pressure valve open? Look at the little lever. It should be in the down position vs. in the up position which opens it. The valve could be faulty and need replacement or you could have over pressured the tank causing it to open.
Realize that you have a very limited amount of hot water with a 6? gal. tank. If you have a unit that can use both LP and 12V you can have more hot water but I have no idea what kind of systems you have. Check the valve first.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Tasha, you said that you opened the pressure valve on your water heater. Did you also close it? You didn't say in your post. If you don't close it it will spew water all over.

You also said that you ran out of propane. I am assuming that you have filled your tanks. It sounds like you are trying to run on electric which heats slower than propane and that your water heater is not lighting on propane. Could you give a little more information?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
sonofcy

First look up the procedure for shutting off the water. You can NOT just turn off the supply valve, the water in the lines will freeze and cause much damage. Part of that procedure is instructions on emptying the hot water tank. Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where what you do not know will hurt you. The following google search will get you started. There are 2 ways of doing it, one involves RV anti-freeze and the other compressed air. Good luck.

https://www.google.ca/search?newwind....0.vhVXlqPYi8c
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not clear on if you are living in the rv, it's seasonal or ?? More info would be greatly beneficial.