Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
IRV2

2018 298SRL Laredo Owners Unite

Ok so I wanted to post some pics of areas where there is confusion like the "convenience center" I still don't understand the black flush or the winterize system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	14679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	14680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	14681  

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Terry W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
Ok so I wanted to post some pics of areas where there is confusion like the "convenience center" I still don't understand the black flush or the winterize system.
Black Flush is a fresh water flush of the black tank. He help to clean out waste and TP. Winterization valve and hook up is to winterize the water system. Turn the valve hook up a short section of hose to the connection above it and into the pink antifreeze. Turn water pump on and pump antifreeze thru the water system- all sinks, shower and outside hose

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
IRV2

My confusion is the little black" knob, not sure how it works or what position it should be in. Or what water connection is for winterizing. I assumed that the black flush must be the connection with the sticker below it but has always spayed water back at me like it was blocked or turned off. I will verify this now because after being told to install a washer with screen in it I have not tried it yet.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Terry W.

Quote:
My confusion is the little black" knob, not sure how it works or what position it should be in. Or what water connection is for winterizing. I assumed that the black flush must be the connection with the sticker below it but has always spayed water back at me like it was blocked or turned off. I will verify this now because after being told to install a washer with screen in it I have not tried it yet.
Looking at your pictures I would say the black tank flush is the unmarked one inner one. The one above the winterization valve should be the antifreeze hook up. Antifreeze valve "on" to pull antifreeze onto water system, "off" for normal operation.

Pickens, SC
Old 11-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Terry W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
Looking at your pictures I would say the black tank flush is the unmarked one inner one. The one above the winterization valve should be the antifreeze hook up. Antifreeze valve "on" to pull antifreeze onto water system, "off" for normal operation.

The black tank flush is just a hose connection to the spray water and flush the tank out

Pickens, SC
Old 11-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Frank G

My 325RL is set up a bit different than yours but lets see if we can work through it. The two water inlets on the right side are for?? Black flush and water storage tank fill?

The sanitary rules do not allow a direct water connection to the "Black Flush" so you need to hook up a water hose to the Black Flush inlet. I flow water to the black Flush when emptying the black tank to effectively remove all solids from the tank. When it flows fairly clean turn off the water and close the black tank drain valve. To keep solids from plugging the drain piping always leave some water in them. We empty our Black tank every 3 or 4 days and use the Black Flush every time.

The Black Flush is a water spray system designed to aid in evacuating solids from the black holding tank. Water and toilet chemicals are your friends when dealing with the poo.

We live in our unit about 6 months a year (in Florida) so we never do the winterization thing and we don't want to learn. If you are not comfortable winterizing your unit seek help or come join us in the sun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171017_084447.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	14682  
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
lt_cowboy

You can also use winterize to sanitize. Instead of sucking up antifreeze, you can suck up bleach solution.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
lt_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
IRV2

Ok here is what I found out and confirmed. The water connection on the right is the black flush. See I was having an issue with it spaying water at me so after following the advise given by Chuck which was to make sure there was a washer with screen there, it in fact works. The black flush issue has been solved it is the one with the sticker below it.
Now about the orientation of the winterizer switch not sure what it is indicating. Off on On?
I can only reasonably assume that its in the off position otherwise it would be doing something? All my water systems are operating just fine like they should. Just trying to understand that valve.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Terry W.

Quote:
Ok here is what I found out and confirmed. The water connection on the right is the black flush. See I was having an issue with it spaying water at me so after following the advise given by Chuck which was to make sure there was a washer with screen there, it in fact works. The black flush issue has been solved it is the one with the sticker below it.
Now about the orientation of the winterizer switch not sure what it is indicating. Off on On?
I can only reasonably assume that its in the off position otherwise it would be doing something? All my water systems are operating just fine like they should. Just trying to understand that valve.
I agree by the pic it is in the off position. As for.the washer/ washer screen just pick up a few often need at Campground

Pickens, SC
Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
IRV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post

Thats what I thought but its actually the opposite. Hoping that Laredo folks would jump in here since all our rigs are different configurations. I understand that the function is the same, meaning black flush does black tank cleaning and the winterizing, does winterizing. But my unit has had labels incorrectly marked therefore adding to the confusion. Thank you.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
Terry W.

Quote:
Thats what I thought but its actually the opposite. Hoping that Laredo folks would jump in here since all our rigs are different configurations. I understand that the function is the same, meaning black flush does black tank cleaning and the winterizing, does winterizing. But my unit has had labels incorrectly marked therefore adding to the confusion. Thank you.
Don't feel bad a normal mix up is on the dump mismarked

Pickens, SC
Old 11-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
jsmith948

Our black tank flush is the right hand or outside fitting that has the warning sticker under it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
jsmith948

Our winterizing valve seems backward,but the pump works fine with it in the position shown?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
jsmith948

I think the handle has to be removed and reinstalled 90* counter clockwise.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 11-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
IRV2

Hey Jack,
I checked the left water connection this afternoon. I'm currently camping and hooked to city water. What I did was turn off the the city water, went inside to turn water pump on, went to the handle and moved it 90* in the up position.
I could here a gurgling sound when I turn the handle up and down so I think I have solved the left hand water connection and confirmed it is winterizing. I think what I will do is just label it a bit differently, the pictorial shown to us is saying its off, but pointing to the ON lettering....lol. I have some pics of the battery hook up you asked about.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
IRV2

Here is my "dealer" battery set up. First pic is the battery compartment, this battery has the positive wire from the rig and a positive wire to the second battery. Negative from this battery to the second battery. Second pic is the cargo area were they installed the second battery. They have the negative from this battery to the chassis shown in third pic. This is parallel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	14692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	14693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14694  

Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #17
jsmith948

Quote:
Here is my "dealer" battery set up. First pic is the battery compartment, this battery has the positive wire from the rig and a positive wire to the second battery. Negative from this battery to the second battery. Second pic is the cargo area were they installed the second battery. They have the negative from this battery to the chassis shown in third pic. This is parallel.
Thanks for posting - I want to convert ours to 2 - 6v golf cart batteries. I had not thought about putting the second battery in the front compartment. I was trying to engineer a way to add the second battery in the existing battery compartment - which is difficult due to the placement of the frame outriggers and the existing angle iron frame around the battery. Haven't given up yet. Might be able to place them on top of the framework - side by side - and then fab a battery box out of plywood. Your dealer's solution is easier.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 AM   #18
IRV2

Those 6v batteries are pretty big and heavy. I've considered that route also but when I do it will be in the front storage. It will be easier to get to and there is plenty of room there. I had to pull the battery out last week to charge it up and it was awkward. I didn't like the fact there wasn't much room. I will use the "old" battery compartment for other storage. You may already know but the 6v system will be a connected in "series."

Old 11-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
garand41

Quote:
I still don't understand the winterize valve. I couldn't get it to pull antifreeze in either position. I went ahead and put a valve on the pump's suction side. Your valve labels are different than mine and my black tank was labeled wrong and two of the three tank valves leaked.
garand41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #20
IRV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand41 View Post
I still don't understand the winterize valve. I couldn't get it to pull antifreeze in either position. I went ahead and put a valve on the pump's suction side. Your valve labels are different than mine and my black tank was labeled wrong and two of the three tank valves leaked.
Welcome to the forum!!
Ok what I did was went in coach and turned on the pump switch. Went to the black winterize knob and turned it, I could then hear a kind gurgling sound from the water connection port (hose not connected). I was just testing it after being told how it was to be used. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WASHER / SCREEN in the connection port.
Now as far as the labels go I did relabel them because mine were also incorrectly labeled.
Two questions for you:
1. Where were the valves leaking? I ask because I noticed water in the pipe when I would take the cap off to hook up the "stinky slinky" I have bought and installed the valtera blade valve on the end to stop the surprise water build up.
2. Why did you put a valve on the suction side of the pump?

Tags
laredo