Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Ward

Black water through out!

Help! We have a brand new trailer purchased this spring from a dealer. Emptied the tanks before leaving town. Camped one night. Three kids two adults. Traveled the next day into glacier national park. Road was paved but bumpy. I took my time and was cautious. Upon arrival black water (no doubt) was running through out the camper. Can you imagine my wife's face?!? Sewage covered the entire bathroom floor and had run under the cabinets under dinette. Thoughts as to cause? The toilet does hold water then and now if you are wondering about the integrity of the flap that flushes. Also, please share your thoughts on concerns we should speak with the dealer about. It does feel as though the laminate floor around the toilet base has significant ridges. Could black water possibly soaked into the floor? Thank you for taking the time to guide us as this is our first trailer and we want to make sure we have all the info we need to get the problem fully resolved.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Sorry for your troubles.

You emptied before you left but was the tank full when you entered Glacier? I've towed with my black tank with contents but never full. It seems that it would be difficult for the contents to flow up and out unless there was an integrity issue with the seal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
gearhead

Somethings not right. Less than a year old? Return it to the dealer for warranty repair.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Well, something is wrong as we know a empty tank cannot flood anything much less into the trailer. So, lets make guesses. You say your sure it is black water. So, if that's right. That tank was never emptied. So, it could have come back up thru a loose toilet maybe? How about a common thing, it over flowed up thru the shower drain. Lets say it was not black water but water from the fresh tank, that could happen if the pump was left on and a valve open. I would take it to a dealer and get it looked at.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
14george

If you have the Laredo 24MK the shower and bathroom sink drains into the black tank
Old 08-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
MSB1766

I have a 2011 Keystone Larado 291TG, My bathroom sink and shower the water goes into the gray tank but my outdoor kitchen sink goes to the black tank.
Check to make sure all of the faucets are off.
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Trailers don't make black water while towing. If the tank was empty when you started, it will be empty when you get to your destination provided you didn't add something to the tank. There are two ways you can add something to the tank: First-intentionally... Second-accidentally... There's no other way for the black tank to fill.

Now, are you sure it was empty when you started? If it was, then you added water along the way. That could have happened with the toilet valve being stuck open or it could have happened because something in your trailer (that you don't know about) drains into the black tank. As stated above, it may be an outside kitchen sink, a bathroom sink, a shower, but something is putting water into that tank.

No matter what "put water there" it should "stay there" without leaking until you drain it or until you pressurize it enough to force the contents out. A "gravity drain" from a sink or shower won't push water into the tank, it'll back up in the drain and slosh out of the sink or shower, not push its way through the black tank and back up into the trailer.

So, that leaves the toilet valve as my "best guess" on what stuck open, ran water and filled the tank, then filled the toilet neck, then filled the toilet bowl and then filled the trailer. I'd suspect that you have a weak spring on the toilet foot flush that doesn't return the flapper valve to the fully closed position and allows water to leak past the flush valve to fill the toilet and black tank.

Your dealer should be able to find the problem and fix it. Until then, NEVER TRAVEL WITH THE WATER PUMP TURNED ON !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water