Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Quiroule

Antenna coaxial cable

My antenna coaxial cable has a cracked insolation between the antenna and the antenna base.

The coax goes directly from the antenna to the TV connecter in the FW.

I would like to change the coax, has anyone done it?

If I join the new coax to the old one inside the FW and try to pull the old one from the roof will that work.

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The coax from the antenna head only extends into the base a short distance where it's connected with a barrel connector to the trailer coax.

To change it, you need to remove the sealant around the base, take the mounting screws out and pull the antenna off the roof.

Not that hard to do, but you do have to remove the crank handle, spring and directional knob from inside first.

New butyl tape on the edge of the base and new self leveling Dicor after putting the screws back in and your good to go. I've lost count of how many I have done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Quiroule

I have removed the handle and plate inside and I don’t see a connecter, I see the coax coming thru the roof and bent to go to the TV connecter. I have also removed the robber boot on the base and all I see is the coax going true the roof.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You have to remove the entire antenna from the roof. Peel back the Dicor sealant, remove the screws and pry up with a plastic wedge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
MarkS

Quiroule, make a hook out of a coat hanger, with luck you can hook the coax through the crank hole. Pull the coax out the hole. There is probably a connector there. If not, there may be enough slack to cut your own connector in. This may save you from cutting the roof seal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Quiroule

Thank-you all.
As the antenna is still working fine, I have decided to put a dab of sealant and leave it as is. That way I don’t have to break the roof seal.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Tags
antenna, cable