Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
EVMIII

Battery charge from truck

Picked up camper today after a month at the dealer service shop, battery was run down below capability to operate Lippert sytem. About 10 minutes hooked to truck and it had enough juice to lift the legs so I could hookup and tow. About an hour to the tire shop and a quick check on camper and it was still low. Not as low as before, plenty to unhook and autolevel, enough to power panel to test (would not initially) but not fully charged. My test guage crapped out so I can't tell specific charge. My question is how long should it take the truck to full re charge depleted batteries?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on how many amps your alternator is, how discharged the battery is and how many batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
bobbecky

Your tow vehicle's alternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery. You should use either the trailer converter which requires the trailer to be plugged into a power source, or you could use a battery charger. With the battery that far discharged, it's not capable of storing as much power as when new. You may be better off replacing the battery.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
NorskeBob

It is all about amp-hours.

If you have consumed 50-ampere-hours from a 100-amp hour battery - At a 10-amp, charging rate, it should take approximately 4.3 hours to get to a 90% state-of-charge.

I would check the electrolyte (water) level in the battery after recharging.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I think my thoughts have already been posted;

When was the last time you checked the water in the battery and how often have you done that? In addition to the things mentioned, the time to recharge will also depend greatly on the overall condition of the battery. If you do replace the battery be sure and replace all of them at the same time if you have multiple batteries.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
EVMIII

Thanks for the replies. Battery cells were just topped off a couple weeks ago, but I'll definitely check them when the batteries are fully charged. Trailer is on shore power now and seems to be charging. I'll keep an eye on it this evening and will be replacing my voltmeter tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
dcg9381

Amp hours and battery condition. Keystone doesn't install true battery disconnects, my guess is that a lot of new owners get surprised with dead batteries that eventually won't take a decent charge anymore.

You can pull the battery and have them "tested" at most Autozone locations.

Get a disconnect (true disconnect) if you don't have one yet.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery