Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
JimHam

Fiberglass Cap Fading

I think I know the answer to this but I will ask in case somebody knows more than I do which is likely. I know from doing research that Keystone had lots of problems with the fiberglass caps on the front of a lot of travel trailers fading and oxidizing badly very quickly. I think they had so much trouble that they now paint those caps instead of relying on a gel coat. My trailer, which I bough used seems to be one with the defective gel coating. It had been outdoors for two years when I got it and was badly oxidized. I worked for many hours buffing, polishing and waxing to get it back to looking new. I used the best products I could buy, recommended by an expert on fiberglass restoration but after just two months I see the oxidation creeping back in. I am going to apply another coat of polish and wax again but this could get old real fast. Since I bought this second-hand is there any chance of Keystone making this good by paying for a paint job as they did with others I have read about or am I stuck with buffing and waxing 4 times a year to keep it looking decent?
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't state how old your trailer is, nor anything about its "history", so this answer is "opinion" not "fact"...

That said, Keystone has, for some original owners, offered to pay for painting. It seems, from posts on this forum, that Keystone has offered assistance to some (certainly not all) members who are within a year or two of original purchase. Some people have had dealerships that "went to bat" and were successful, and just as many (possibly even more) had dealerships that submitted a "lackluster claim" which was denied by Keystone.

Only a small handful of owners have been successful in dealing with Keystone "on their own" and without dealership assistance. They all have related "long, hard battles" with Keystone. Remember, all of them were "original owners" and very few were successful.

Being a "second or subsequent owner" you may very well find that Keystone won't even discuss repairing the fading cap with you. The only way you'll know for sure is to contact them at Customer Service and present your complaint.

My hunch: Don't be surprised if they tell you, "Keystone respectfully denies your claim."

As an alternative, read through the forum and you'll get some information on how other owners have solved their fading cap problem. Solutions range from "plasti-kote", shrink wrap, buffing/polishing, and commercial floor wax all the way to "repainting".....

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
JimHam

Re: Fiberglass Cap Fading

My trailer is a 2014 Cougar Xlite and I purchased from the original owners. They had it parked in a campground on a long-term rental then moved and had it in a storage area. I had already done some research on the gelcoat problem and found where some dealers got Keystone to repaint the front cap but I figured it would be an uphill battle since the original dealer is a 7 hour drive away and I did not buy it from them. I doubt Keystone will help me but I was hoping somebody might know of a way to fix this. Even if I keep buffing it out eventually the gel-coat is going to wear through. Thanks for your suggestion I will look at what some other owners have done to fix this mistake by the manufacturer.
JimHam is offline   Reply With Quote