Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
gtsum2

Hot Water Heater Questions and Battery...

So my Fuzion has a hot water heater button inside on the control panel...also has a main on/off switch on the unit itself outside. I have always left that on, and then just flipped the inside switch to on once arriving at campground. My questions are 1) Is this the correct way to do it? and 2), is the inside button on the control panel for propane and the outside main on/off button for electric?

Reason I ask is some other campers I was with this past couple of weeks all could switch between propane and electric for the water heater...they asked me and I said I dont know..I just pushed the inside button. Also, when I took it back to storage and plugged it in today, it kept tripping the 20amp circuit..I had everything off...but it kept tripping (Fridge was off too). I used the factory battery disconnect and turned it off, and then it stopped tripping the circuit...but it was still pulling 11 amps???? So it dawned on me that perhaps the water heater is pulling current since the outside main switch is on?? Or am I totally confused here? My battery was kind of low, and I thought maybe that was the reason it was pulling so many amps...now I am not so sure?

Also, should I be draining the hot water tank in between trips? We go camping at least 2, sometimes 3 times per month.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Javi

Most likely that's a Suburban water heater and the "outside" switch is the electric heating element... The inside switch probably says DSI on it and is the "Propane" switch..

I don't drain my water heater unless I've camped at a place with really poor water or I'm winterizing.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #3
Terry W.

You are correct. The switch inside the camper is for the gas. It opens valve and provides 12 volts to light the burner.
The switch outside inside the heater door is the electric, 110v.
I have left my outside switch on and turn the breaker off/on to save a trip outside but this is not what the breakers are for, not a good way to do it.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
gtsum2

Thanks for the info. No wonder it was pulling 11 amps when I thought I had everything shut off. I will stop by and shut off the electric switch.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
GaryWT

Currently my gas and electric switches are inside. In the past, I had 2 switchs for the electric, one in and one out and one inside gas switch.

I never empty the tank during the season.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW while at the campground and plugged into shore power you can run BOTH. I do, faster recovery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
FWIW while at the campground and plugged into shore power you can run BOTH. I do, faster recovery.
Yes, I have been running both the whole time. Now I know to shut off the electric when plugged in while stored
Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
14george

I have two switches on inside one for gas and one for electric
Old 07-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
rbev2308

I actually got the wrong manual with mine and noticed two weeks later when I was trying to register. I contacted Air Excel who mfr's the Suburban 12 Gal DSI water heater I have and they mailed me a manual as well as these instructions. Most likely this is what you have as I have a family member with a Fuzion.

Regarding the operation of your unit:
If the appliance is functioning correctly it is totally up to the owner as to which operational mode they want to use. You can even use the gas and the electric together to get a little faster recovery time if you wish.
Gas Operation: You will have a switch inside your coach somewhere (the coach mfg. installs them so I apologize I have no way of knowing exactly where it might be) that should have a red light beside it if it is our switch. This switch needs to be in the on position if you wish to use your appliance on gas. In normal operation that red light will come on and when it recognizes the flame the red light will go off.
Electric Operation: When you go outside your coach and open up the waterheater door, you will see an on/off switch on the bottom left hand corner of the waterheater. This switch needs to be in the on position if you wish to use your appliance on electric.
When you go outside and open the waterheater door you will notice a black box with two rubber grommets that say “reset” and sometimes they get tripped like the breakers in your house; the one on the right is for the gas and the one on the left is for the electric. Should your waterheater stop functioning you can go outside and try to push the corresponding grommet in (if you feel it move just a bit that should solve your problem) Also underneath these grommets are the thermostats which are preset at around 130 degrees give or take a couple of degrees.
Please remember: Airxcel Suburban Equipment must be installed by a qualified or knowledgeable gas service agency. Please do not attempt to install or repair our gas appliances. Doing so may cause damage or injury and could void the warranty and gas certification.
To find a service agency near you please visit our web-site at www.rvcomfort.com or check your yellow pages for a local gas service agency.
Again, thank you for choosing Airxcel Suburban Products and please let us know if you need additional assistance.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
I have two switches on inside one for gas and one for electric
Chances are you have an Atwood water heater which is a good bit different than the OP's Suburban.. Besides the lack of a switch inside the door of the heater unit the Atwood also does not use an anode to prevent corrosion in the tank itself.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
gtsum2

Great info! Thank you!