Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
steve slade

RV buyers beware of keystone trailers

Have u all seen this facebook page. I just purchased a new carbon and can't believe the horror stories on this site. Are these trailers really that bad and keystone so terrible to deal with. My last trailer was a jayco and had zero issues , thinking I should have just got another jayco.
steve slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Let the games begin...
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtex View Post
Let the games begin...
Thanks for your service nice truck
Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
GaryWT

Not sure what Facebook page you speak of but every manufacturer has good and bad issues, happy and not so happy customers. I would think somewhere is a Jayco page as well. Have you had issues, is your dealer taking care of it. It all comes down to the dealer, let the call Keystone.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve slade View Post
Have u all seen this facebook page. I just purchased a new carbon and can't believe the horror stories on this site. Are these trailers really that bad and keystone so terrible to deal with. My last trailer was a jayco and had zero issues , thinking I should have just got another jayco.
Steve -
I don't have Facebook so I am not at all familiar with "this Facebook page" that you are referring to. In brief, what's it all about? Let me guess ...... Its author is probably a disgruntled Keystone owner who is bashing Keystone and its products. Perhaps he is even a member of this forum????
After all, if it appeared on Facebook it must be right.

Yes, there are some - a very small number of members - who have had some problems with their Keystone RV's. The vast majority of people on here are satisfied with their products despite having some minor issues which have been dealt with by the dealer, by Keystone or by the owner. Some members, if you believe, have actually had zero problems!

Some members have had issues with Keystone - almost all have not. I've never had to deal with them but some have indicated that Keystone has been okay to deal with. Others have had problems - especially regarding warranty work.

Before condemning Keystone and their RV's based on what you have read on here - and I have no idea how much you have read or what you have read - check out other RV forums. They all have the same complaints - Jayco included.

Keystone is no better or worse than the others and my suggestion would be to set aside all the negative stuff you have heard or read about and try to focus on enjoying your new Carbon.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I asked that same question in the same style, simply based on other feedback from other forums - so expect some feedback. Mods won't like it... I'm not sure they're 100% aware of the various documented issues. I assume you (like me) didn't mean it as an attack on the brand, but a legitimate questioning of feedback. I was largely asked to ignore the negativity, which is hard to do when you're making a big purchase. You're asking if they are statistically better or worse in terms of quality, I'm not sure that anyone has actual data to make that call, so you're left with owner experiences and some pretty well documented unhappy customers. Just remember that Keystone makes a LOT of RVs.

Speaking factually:
I owned a Jayco. It had issues - as does every RV as it ages. Nothing really structural or major, just typical RV issues -water pump, roof maintenance, chassis issues, etc. Stuff I noticed on Jayco was that they used higher end cabinets (real wood), but they couldn't even manage to get the cabinet handles installed at the same level. It became even more of a problem on their really higher end "Super-Cs" - beautiful RVs, but I wouldn't buy one due to the quality issues.

Jayco offers a 2-year warranty. Keystone 1-year. Both rely on dealers to actually do the fixes unless you're near the factor. As far as I know dealers aren't actually obligated to fix anything in a manner that is inconsistent with their business.

I've owned Holiday Rambler too. That RV had some features that I considered higher quality - like a fiberglass roof.

If you ask about a "quality" Toy Hauler, you may get a list with the Carbon being near the bottom, as near as I can tell this is mostly about "features" and trim level (IE - cabinets) and the build quality - attention to detail and actual engineering doesn't differ much. Higher end models (other brands) may get you better insulation and things that I consider "quality" - but you'll really have to parse that out from trim level.

Last I looked Keystone had over 115 BBB complaints. Jayco had about 27. I'd encourage you to read through them. It may well be that Keystone sells 400% more RVs and that the BBB complaints are actually a poor indicator of customer satisfaction. If you can find actual sales numbers, I'd be interested in the data. You'll have to make your own subjective call about how a company responds to a consumer complaint, as this isn't a forum where opinions are well tolerated.

I own a Carbon. Mainly for the floor plan. I also had a buddy who owned Keystone and didn't have a single problem in 2 years. I'm unable to detect differences in build quality between Jayco and Carbon/Keystone, but there are bells and whistles differences.

I've had two minor interior trim problems - no big deal. Two post-delivery-inspection issues that were minor that the dealer agreed to take care of but didn't (and I wouldn't leave it with them any longer). I've had no need to talk to the manufacturer...

This is just may experience so far.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I asked that same question in the same style, simply based on other feedback from other forums - so expect some feedback. Mods won't like it... I'm not sure they're 100% aware of the various documented issues.
You'll have to make your own subjective call about how a company responds to a consumer complaint, as this isn't a forum where opinions are well tolerated.

cb1000rider -
Let me set the record straight for you. One of the functions of moderators on this forum is to ensure that members do not submit a never-ending series of negative posts that do nothing but simply trash a manufacturer or its products. Repeated posts that contribute nothing and contain nothing but complaints and negative comments are not helpful to anyone or are constructive.

We do support criticism and welcome input from members who have had problems with Keystone or its products. There is nothing wrong with a member voicing his concern or reporting about issues they have had with the manufacturer. It is the on-going, continuing negative posts that are not acceptable. And you are right. You were asked to "ignore the negativity". What you neglected to mention, it was the continual, repeated negativity that you were asked to curtail.

If a member has a complaint or concern go ahead and post it. The "Mods" don't mind a bit. If you're going to beat it to death and go on and on then the mods "won't like it" and will do what they need to do.

I also see that you have submitted numerous posts expressing your opinion and offering constructive advice about various topics. Please, if you feel that the "mods" are not being "tolerant" then please send us a PM with some specific examples of our intolerance.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Well, let me put it this way. Daily I read horror stories of pit bulls, German Shepards, etc. etc. etc. I've owned both and they were/are the best dogs I've ever owned. Now there will be other sides; some are afraid of them, some "heard" bad things, some may have actually had a bad encounter (statistically miniscule) but, those things are there.

A person's best course of action is to look, see, touch and investigate before buying a new RV. Look at lots of them. Look for the same quality features (or insulation, or roof, or suspension or, or....whatever you consider quality) and floorplans. I think you will find that Keystone is as good as any other manufacturer. I looked at many, many RVs before purchasing mine and turned away from Rockwood and Jayco simply due to their lack of quality, IMO.

In my research I looked for "factual" information. I read lots of posts from lots of folks on various forums about all kinds of brands....those posts are out there regardless of who makes them. You've got to be able to read between the lines and sort the gripers with real problems from the ......gripers.

I think each individual trailer is going to be different from the next one just like it; was it done on Monday? Friday? Was Fred hung over that day when he put in the wiring? Who knows. I do know it seems that no two are alike. Thoroughly look over whatever it is you think you want, top to bottom, then buy it. Cross your fingers you got the "good" one (I think one post on here said 91% of the owners on this forum were happy) and go have fun. Deal with the problems when, and if, they arise.

I almost didn't buy a travel trailer after looking at hundreds of them because I felt they would not live up to my expectations. My wife and I discussed it at length and determined we wanted a trailer, not a motorhome, and were going to buy one. That said, you have to do what I said above and get on with it and hope for the best. We've had many issues but we have also had some really great times.......I wouldn't change it.

As far as the previous post saying that differing views are not tolerated I'd have to disagree. If you, or anyone else, has a valid, factual issue (as there have been many) they are well received and everyone tries to help. As far as what I think about a "facebook" page? I only use it when one of the kids sends me something. I've gotten 3 viruses from it and don't have any use for "social" gossip. That's just me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Essness

It's always fascinating to me how willing we are to key in on the negative and re-post it. Before I bought my Raptor I did a pretty thorough internet search to see what was out there. I saw the negative and the positive and weighed it all out in my mind based on what my previous experiences were with like products and more importantly, sources on the internet.
Now of course the next person who searches will likely run across this thread title,
"RV buyers beware of keystone trailers".
And of course you will like the rest of us really enjoy your trailer and never think about that thread title again. Seems fair, right?
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
GaryWT

I found the page, did not read much but the posts on it seemed to be 2013, 2012 and before that, so everything was older.

Too many people think Keystone should call back as if you were calling the doctors office when in fact they should have called the dealer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
And you are right. You were asked to "ignore the negativity". What you neglected to mention, it was the continual, repeated negativity that you were asked to curtail.
And factually speaking - what you absolutely ignored, is that I was ASKING a question. The tone of the questions wasn't well liked - and I didn't even think twice about it because I've never been asked to cull criticism of a product before. I was asking about what I had read. In very much the exact same manner as the title of this post is negative. Asking about reports of "Keystone has lower quality" and so forth.

I think you're incorrect to ask any consumer to ignore negative posts about a major purchase, but that's an opinion, not a fact. I believe, in fact, I was told not to read BBB reports prior to making a purchase. It's not any moderators job to control due diligence in a consumer purchase. It may be your job to ask that parts of that due diligence not be questioned on this forum, but that makes me *more* concerned about a product, not less...

Now that I own a Carbon, I understand that I'm on a short leash around making any negative statement about it. And honestly, I've really had none to make, so it's a bit of a moot point. I think you get it at this point that I'm not here to bash and *might* be able to contribute. There are more active RV forums and certainly some that are more technical, but none with as concentrated an interest and experience with Keystone toy hauler products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Keystone is no better or worse than the others and my suggestion would be to set aside all the negative stuff you have heard or read about and try to focus on enjoying your new Carbon.
Again, speaking factually, what data do you have that Keystone is "no better or worse" than the others? That data would have been very convincing to me as a consumer - and providing it would have probably stopped me (and perhaps the OP) from asking questions in a manner that is inconsistent with the way you want to run things. I'd certainly appreciate data on number of units sold or any other data that could be used to more factually assess the number of complaints that are in public view. Seems that a middle of the road unit sold on the lower end of the price scale would be considered a good value...
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

cb1000rider -
Factually speaking, I don't have any data - just an opinion. Enjoy your Keystone Carbon.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Thanks. I found that with an aluminum frame, the Carbon was "better built" than some other brands (wood frames). And in my head, the basic manufacturing of the trailer seems to be common to other models (and brands) that cost more.

No issues with mine - only one trip on it. I've owned a number of RVs, so I'm not one to expect the same sort of experience that you get with a new car. And I have a good friend who owned one for 2 years with zero issues... So I hope the trend continues.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
bsmith0404

We had a Jayco prior to buying our Alpine. It had a few issues, but that was not the reason we didn't buy another one. In fact, we were looking pretty hard at a Pinnacle, the Alpine just made us feel more at home. Don't base your concern on the problems of a few people with a product that has millions over the years. You don't become the best selling manufacturer by producing garbage

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #15
Face Down

I am aware of the FB page bashing Keystone...only because the OP, Mr. Slade, referenced it to a post that I made on Keystone's Facebook page where I stated how happy I was with my Carbon. He added that he owned a Carbon also, but now was regretting his decision because of what he was reading. Seems like he is going a lot out of his way to bash without any gripes of his own buying experience, that is even if he owns one...I smell a troll.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
Thanks for your service nice truck
Thanks for yours as well.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
roadglide

Quote:
I read that on face book and thought thank god Keystone didn't install air bags.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
steve slade

Wow. I didn't know it would get so heated asking a question. I'm not trying to bash keystone I just came across that FB page after purchasing my carbon and was a little shocked at what I had read. I love my carbon very much actually and had excellent service at my dealer. Those of you with your nasty replies haven't even read the posts on the FB page. I read every single one so naturally I was a little taken back after spending 92000 by the time it's paid off over the next ten years. I have only taken it on one trip so far and my seal from the fiberglass has split where it meets the sheet metal rocker. The checker plating in the garage the screws have all backed out. The fiberglass around the window seal in the main door is popping out. The ground wire for the fuel station has broken off along with the lock which caused the door to pop open while travelling and is all bent up. I'm sure these issues will be taken care of when I bring it in for my 90 day inspection. But I still love my carbon and have no issues with keystone. I hope to enjoy many trouble free years with it. As for being a troll that's funny since I'm one of the few that uses his real name and has pitchures of his new carbon on my facebook page for those who even doubt I have one. I was just asking a simple question if people really had so many issues with there toy or was it just a few bad cases.
steve slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Steve - I think it's pretty hard for me to place much stock in many of the things I read on the internet. Facebook has a lot of "stuff" and people make all kinds of statements. Reading posts on FB from who knows who about "Keystone" products, without any reference to which one, is just an open ended shot at Keystone. I don't worry myself with it. I do read up on most everything I buy and I do read the reviews. Again, you have to parse the details to determine if the poster had realistic, or even correct, expectations.

In the end, it is still up to the buyer to digest the information and buy whatever it is that he/she is compelled to get. Once I've made the purchase I don't think about it again but I used to. I bought 2 new cars a year. I worked out what I thought was the best deal and went for it. Then, after the purchase, I would go around and see if I could beat the price.....most times I could if I looked hard enough. All I did was ruin my purchase experience and the fun of buying the new vehicle. I've gotten over that now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Rkice14

I am new here so take that for what it is. But I also found that Facebook page while researching our new camper purchase. Especially since it was down to a Jayco and the Keystone Bullet. I also read way more positive post than the negative ones. People have a tendency to jump up on the soap box to complain way more than to praise a product, so I use online searches as one of many tools and not the end all be all when purchasing anything.

I do admit that the extra warranty offered by Jayco was enticing. But There were way more observed quality issues in the different Jayco models we looked at than the Keystone's. That plus the floor plan and all my other research we went with the Bullet.
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote