Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
fatcatzzz

Gas Regulator problem

Morning Folks,

I have a problem with my HIGH pressure regulator. A little background. I have a 07' Montana 3400RL, witch has one tank and the cross over valve (low pressure reg) on the drivers side. On the curb side is one tank and HIGH pressure Reg. that feed the low pressure reg through a black iron pipe that crosses through the front compartment.

The other night I noticed a gas smell in the unit, went outside and opened curb side tank compartment and propane was being leaked from the vent hole on the High pressure regulator. I just chocked it up to the unit being well used and went to rv store and bought a new one. Put it on, everything was fine. Last night smelled gas again, gas coming from regulator again.

Now my question is two bad regs or does it sound like a bigger problem? So I am off to the RV store tomorrow if I can find one in BAKER City OR. 30 miles away.

Thanks
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Rick

First off, I have to ask, are you positive the leak is from the vent? It could be a bad hose, connection, etc. causing the leak. Verify the leak souce. That being said, if it is the regulator, the cheapest way to correct this is to buy another regulator. Anything can go/be bad, even a new item.

You can also check these postings-
http://www.google.com/search?q=propa...r+vent+leaking

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
First off, I have to ask, are you positive the leak is from the vent? It could be a bad hose, connection, etc. causing the leak. Verify the leak souce. That being said, if it is the regulator, the cheapest way to correct this is to buy another regulator. Anything can go/be bad, even a new item.

You can also check these postings-
http://www.google.com/search?q=propa...r+vent+leaking

Rick
Rick thanks for replying, I am real sure about them leaking through the vent hole. I am sure the diaphragms. is ruptured. Just wanted to know if two bad regulators or if something else is causing them to rupture.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
cw3jason

2 bad regulators. They sit around and the diaphragm goes bad. That vent hole is there to there to allow air to enter and exit as the spring and diaphragm goes up and down. If propane is leaking out the vent hole you have a leak. They will also leak around the crimped edge when they go bad. Just replace mine on a brand new trailer. It is not uncommon to replace them a couple times until you get a good one. I saw another thread with someone who had the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote