Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Jeepfourfun

AC/Furnace/fan won't work, blowing fuse

Hi all, new to the forum. I read it all the time and have found some wonderful advice from here, but I rarely post. Here's my issue.....2009 Keystone Cougar 293SAB fifth wheel, the AC, furnace, and fan will not work. Also the #5 fuse in the inverter is blown (with the red light illuminated) and as soon as I replace it, it blows before I can even get the new fuse seated all the way in. I've checked the batteries, thermostat, and pulled the control panel from the roof ac and read 12 volts at all points. 3 amp fuse in the control panel circuit board is fine. When I turn the thermostat to furnace or cool, nothing happens. When I turn the fan on (high or low), I hear a "click" in the control panel in the ac but no fan turns on. I have checked all the wiring (that I can access) on the furnace, no broken wires, loose connections, etc. Both the furnace fan and ac fan spin freely...I'm at a loss? My wife and I are having our third child in 4 weeks (so funds are tight), but we still plan on camping this summer.....only if I can get this issue resolved!!!! Any input (other than "take it in") would be greatly appreciated!!!
Jeepfourfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Keithcanuck

AC and furnace not working

I haven't anything that severe but when I opened the 5th wheel this year and turned the AC on, it would kick out over and over. I had the exterior supply checked and that seemed all right. It was suggested that the circuit breaker may be faulty as it heated up quite a bit. After a couple of weeks, it seemed to correct itself and is OK now. I would try replacing your circuit breaker as an inexpensive attempt.
Keithcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Jeepfourfun

Good idea Keith, I'm torn between the route of replacing several smaller parts, i.e., circuit breaker, ac circuit board, start capicator, etc vs just replacing the whole unit? I'm afraid that if I just buy a new one though, that I may not get to the root of the problem and have the same issue.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Throwing parts at it, especially electrical components, is going to be more expensive than "taking it in". You need to isolate which device is blowing the fuse. No disrespect intended, but you do not appear to have a working knowledge of how the systems in your trailer are powered and how they operate. You are blowing a fuse, that's 12VDC so forget circuit breakers, start capacitors, and anything related to shore power.
The furnace runs on propane and is controlled by and runs the blower on 12V. The AC runs on 115VAC, but the controls are 12V. Start by disconnecting the 12VDC inputs to each appliance so you can determine which one is causing the problem. You will probably have to do some wire tracing. Even if you have to take it in, you will have narrowed it down to one or the other and you won't pay for needless troubleshooting time.
Above all, given your experience with RV systems, avoid suggestions like, you might try... or my brother had the same problem and it was..., you get the picture. Responses will be well meant, but uninformed and you do not need to be confused by people who also do not understand how this stuff works.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Jeepfourfun

Thanks. I was merely responding to a suggestion that was posted. I know how the components work in regards to 12VDC vs 115VAC. My question was about the short in the 12v wiring, but also about the AC not working, which is separate from the 12v system. I have found better advice elsewhere.