Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
tdawg

4 door fridge

In our Alpine we have the 4 door dometic fridge with stainless steel door fronts would like to have the wood front doors is this something thats feasable would it entail replacing all 4 doors? are the doors available to buy. Also thanks for the info on my fireplace question.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Check the door edges. Most front panels are removable if you take off the inner vertical trim.

After that you can probably order new inserts or even buy some panelling and cut to fit. That way you could choose a color and finish.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
tdawg

Thanks, what happened is the stainless was cut a little short and does not stay under the plastic trim around fridge door and pops out.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Thanks, what happened is the stainless was cut a little short and does not stay under the plastic trim around fridge door and pops out.
If still under MFG warranty have them replace panels if they will not stay in. You may even get them to send you out wood grain panels if they have them. If available for your frig would not think it costs them anymore to send the wood vs. stainless.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

tdawg,

It looks like you're out of warranty, so trying to get the dealership to work on it will probably be on your dime.

If your only complaint with the stainless panels is that they fall out, you can use some double stick carpet tape to hold them onto the refrigerator door. Just pull the top strip as chuckster57 suggested, remove the panel, apply some double stick tape and reinstall.

If however, you want to remove the stainless and replace with wood panels, you can order wood panels for Norcold or Dometic refrigerators from most RV parts stores or from CW. Be aware that they are very expensive and you probably won't like the price. You can get paneling from Lowe's, HD or another building supply store to match your interior wood tone, or possibly you might want to consider hiring a cabinet maker to build custom panels for you.

Good Luck and keep us posted if you decide to do the mod.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
tdawg

Thanks guy's i have an update i just went out and removed the door handle and plastic trim that slides in groove on door that holds the panel in. I pulled the panel out and was able to reposition it and slide it back in so when you open the door it does not pop out and jamb the door handle to keep it from latching. Probably temp. fix will see how long it lasts.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

That's good to hear. Hope it lasts a long time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
bsmith0404

If you do decide to replace them with wood, get 1/8 plywood and stain it the color you want. Floor underlayment actually has some pretty nice grain to it and is usually a good quality without knots. My only gripe about using paneling is most will have some type of a seam, I prefer the look of a solid piece of material.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
tdawg

Update just got off the phone with dometic customer service they want a picture of the door that has been the problem since it was purchased new. My dealer has tried to fix previous. Hopefully will get a replacement. Dometic customer service was good to work with she said no guarantee how it will come out will see. New door is over $300.00.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

I have worked directly with Dometic on two occasions with excellent results. Have to mention that in both cases Awning and Toilet both were beyond the KS warranty but still under the Dometic warranty. If they can they will work with you.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
tdawg

Update #2 after talking to dometic the stainless panels are not dometic factory install. The stainless would have been installed by keystone so i ordered the black acrylic panels from them for $173.00 i'm sure i could have got cheaper or made myself but at this point i just want what dometic would have installed. The other option they install are a oak panel but would not have matched out trim color.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Talking

Glad to see you found a favorable solution

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)