Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Woodsrider

Upgrading to 6v batteries, how big is the benefit?

So, as much as we love our Bullet 230BHS, it has its limitations when boondocking with only a single grp24 battery. If I don't load the generator, I can only be out two nights and the battery is dead.
I don't mind taking the generator, but it comes with risks of theft. DW and I need to upgrade. the choices are adding an additional grp24 which is the least expensive option, or purchasing a pair of 6v batteries. A pair of grp27's will not fit in the rack on the tongue since I'm limited to 24 inches.

How much longer can I expect to camp on a 6v set up vs a pair of grp 24s? If I change nothing about our current habits and only change the batteries.
What is one more grp24 going to give me, and how much more would I get from a 6 volt set up?

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I am not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination, but there are formulas that you could use to calculate battery life. Here's what I know:

A second group 24 will increase your battery life
A pair of deep cycle group 24 will do even better
A pair of 6 volt batteries will last even longer

The trick is to have the most amp hours available I believe. How long will you have power? That depends on how much draw you have.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When we bought our Springdale, I installed 2 GP31 deep cycle 12 VDC batteries. We could camp for about 5 days using LED lights, water pump and refrigerator. No TV and only a little radio (to check weather). We have an old portable battery FM radio we use outside so there's no battery drain listening to music.

When we bought the Cougar, I upgraded to 2 Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries. They are about 50% heavier than the two GP31's. We have camped for 8 days without recharging and this spring that included a few hours of furnace time along with the normal battery drains. Remember, you need battery power to set up the slides and you've "GOT" to have power to pull them in at the end of the stay!!!

If I had to "venture a guess" I'd say that GP 31's (only a small bit larger than GP 27's) extended camping time by 50% over the GP 24's. And the 6 volt system extended that time another 50%. I'd say you can look at doubling your camping time with a good 6 volt system over using 2 GP 24's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
christopherglenn

You don't really want to "add" a second battery, if the first one has been drained dead, there is internal damage, which will cause it to die sooner then a new one. Just add a second one and the new one will have the same lifespan as the old one - whey will die VERY close together even if they are years apart.
I would either put in a pair (maybe even a pair of 6 volt batteries), or charge them when camping.
harborfreight.com has a 700 watt "weed eater" generator for ~130 bucks. Another option is a single Solar panel $295 and the Charge controller $84 of your choice.
The best option is whatever you choose, but solar will give you (within reason) limitless power, as with sunlight it will recharge daily, automatically, and silently . The generator works in the shade, overcast, or (not near me) at night. None of these will run an AC, but that's not the point of this thread.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
Woodsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When we bought our Springdale, I installed 2 GP31 deep cycle 12 VDC batteries. We could camp for about 5 days using LED lights, water pump and refrigerator. No TV and only a little radio (to check weather). We have an old portable battery FM radio we use outside so there's no battery drain listening to music.

When we bought the Cougar, I upgraded to 2 Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries. They are about 50% heavier than the two GP31's. We have camped for 8 days without recharging and this spring that included a few hours of furnace time along with the normal battery drains. Remember, you need battery power to set up the slides and you've "GOT" to have power to pull them in at the end of the stay!!!

If I had to "venture a guess" I'd say that GP 31's (only a small bit larger than GP 27's) extended camping time by 50% over the GP 24's. And the 6 volt system extended that time another 50%. I'd say you can look at doubling your camping time with a good 6 volt system over using 2 GP 24's.

It sounds like the best route for us then is switching to the two 6 volt batteries. I can't fit GP27's in the space available, so I know the GP31's wont fit. Like I said in the OP, I'm limited to 24 inches. I can fit a pair of GC2's or a pair of GP 24's.
When we're boon docking, its late enough in the season that we don't use the furnace. All we use is a few LED lights, the pump, fridge, and very occasional radio. Three nights is the longest we've gone so far, and we had the generator along. The last trip we didn't take the generator along was only two nights and I had to hook up the truck to get power to run the pump for the morning potty, as well as running in the slide.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

As I dont boondock to much, about 1 time a year, then its hot and I have to bring the gen to run AC anyway, most of the time. My 12v grp27 died 4 years later, after new. Upgraded to 2 6v's and LED lighting and havent looked back. Alot of research told me adding a 2nd 12v years later isnt good. 1 bad 12v will kill the other 12v. 6v doent work like that. You are screwed though if 1 goes bad, it wont run a 12v system off 1 6v. 6v are a better battery and can take the periodic drains. I dont quite remember the math but 2 6v was almost like having 3 12v grp27 in amp hours, but dont quote me on this, its been a year. Not the cheapest solution, but done right the pro's outway the cons. Adding a marine grade battery cutoff switch and proper sized cables is a good complete system.

Only thing I would do different is getting a good metal battery box, lockable. I went cheap and got a double plastic box. It does work, but the lid warps and really isnt theft deterant. I dont like doing things twice and its more expensive anyways.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
audio1der

I can't speak comparitively, but CAN say we've camped for 7-8 nights using lights, fridge, radio and awnings in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out... WITHOUT issue with our dual 6's. Glad we spent the $$.

On a related note, I spent $20 for a trio of key-matched padlocks and a length of aluminium flat bar. I bent the bar into the shape around each battery box, adding a lip at the top and bottom where they meet, which I drilled, and put a padlock through (repeat for 2nd batt.)
I used the third lock through the spinning retainer handle for the propane tanks and the spreader bar which keeps them seated. That way the tanks are locked down, but 1 key can unlock all of them. I remove my batts each winter for storage in our garage, and it takes only a minute extra
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Phil33

We upgraded to 4 Costco 6 Volt Golf Cart Batteries, All LED Lights, 40 Solar Panel (Just added another 100 Watt Solar Panel that we haven't used yet), we have a 2000 watt inverter to run the TV's & the Coffee Pot & we really haven't had much of a problem. We would run the generator periodically just to make sure the batteries are fully charged before each night & I'm hoping the extra solar will take care of that.
Phil33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
theeyres

It should be fairly easy to get the space for two 6 volters by mounting a couple aluminum channels on top the frame where the batteries go. In the past we did a lot of dry camping and the 6 volters made a whole lot of difference. We could go out for 5 or 6 days and not kill the batteries with a lot of care and judicious use of electricity. We would still use a small generator to charge the batteries and then it was a walk in the park. We could watch movies on the dvd.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
64tbolt

I have tried 24's & 27's. The 2 GC2's outperform them both. The only drawback is with the 6's if you lose one you are out of 12v power so another batt or gen is needed. I just added 200w of solar but will take along a 12v spare on long stays for insurance.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #11
SkiSmuggs

If you can't find GC2s at your favorite discount store, check with a golf cart store. I found the best price for Trojans at one near me. The kicker is that you need core batteries as the core charge will kill you. Use your Grp 24 and check with friends for additional batteries you can use. The shop I went to actually wanted 4 cores for the two GC2s, but I only had two with me.
Your 24 has been over discharged and is on its last legs anyway.
While your standard RV battery is considered fully discharged at 12.1v, the GC2 is fully discharged at 11.9 as it is a true deep cycle battery.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
mikell

You can't go wrong on solar panel and that $300 price above is real good at $1 a watt. I have a 100 watt and am adding maybe that 300 watter above and that will keep us going for a week if needed no problem. And don't forget the LED's. With the panel I didn't have to add batteries but might do it this spring for the heck of it. I'll use AGM because they can go anywhere and don't need vented
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
gotf7

Since we dry camp on a permanent seasonal site and we like to leave our fridge on during the week so the beer is cold when we get out on Friday, I purchased 2 cart batteries, I can leave the fridge running along with whatever parasitic draw there is with no problem for a week. I tried going 2 weeks but when we got down the fridge was off, however everything in the freezer was still frozen solid, so I would assume the fridge had just **** off that day. When we brought our new rig home I tried leaving the fridge on in the driveway to see how long the grp 24 12volt would las,t on the 4th day the fridge was off, that is when I decided to pony up for the cart batteries, good upgrade for us.
gotf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 AM   #14
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotf7 View Post
Since we dry camp on a permanent seasonal site and we like to leave our fridge on during the week so the beer is cold when we get out on Friday, I purchased 2 cart batteries, I can leave the fridge running along with whatever parasitic draw there is with no problem for a week. I tried going 2 weeks but when we got down the fridge was off, however everything in the freezer was still frozen solid, so I would assume the fridge had just **** off that day. When we brought our new rig home I tried leaving the fridge on in the driveway to see how long the grp 24 12volt would las,t on the 4th day the fridge was off, that is when I decided to pony up for the cart batteries, good upgrade for us.
We've 400 watts of solar and four Trojan T105s, but I've still hooked the ref. on the AC leg for shore power only. Using a Kill-a-Watt meter, I found that it pulls far too much power for what it does. Works just fine on propane though.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
gotf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
We've 400 watts of solar and four Trojan T105s, but I've still hooked the ref. on the AC leg for shore power only. Using a Kill-a-Watt meter, I found that it pulls far too much power for what it does. Works just fine on propane though.
Should have clarified we run the fridge on propane.
gotf7 is offline   Reply With Quote