Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
{tpc}

How often do you flush dump black/grey water tanks?

So here is another question I thought of. Say your a person that is going to use your TT every other weekend or so. Or maybe one weekend for a couple days and then store it for a couple weeks and then use it again.

So how often would you dump your tanks in this case? I guess what I am saying if it's just light use, do you still dump them prior to going home? We have a dump station at our storage, but it has no water hookup, just a dump site.

I am guessing the right way would be to just dump it then, but after only 2 days use, there probably won't be that much in the black tank. The grey I am sure will have more, but thats seems like as easier dump. We plan on using the aqua kem toss in's in the black tank, if that matters at all.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
canesfan

I always dump and flush mine before I head home, however if you don't have water and only use the tanks a day or two you are right, the black tank won't have much in it (actually I don't know what size yours is) and it's better to dump a mostly full black tank so things will flush out instead of sitting on the bottom.

As for the gray tank, dump it whenever, it really doesn't matter if it's full or only has a few gallons in it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I always empty and flush all of the holding tanks (gray and black) right after we are finished camping. If there are sewer hookups and/or a dump station at the campsite, I do it there. If not, I try to find the closest dump station and empty there. I don't want to have crud sitting in the tanks when the RV is sitting at home - or in a storage yard.

I always ensure that, after dumping, there is plenty of clean water and some chemicals or Calgon in the tanks to "freshen them up" and keep them from smelling while sitting.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
BirchyBoy

I plan on dumping mine at the end of every trip. If I don't have enough in the tank, I'll run water into it to make enough. I'll also add enough to the grey tank to flush the line.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
GaryWT

We only camp at full hok up sites and dump before hitting the road. If needed, will at water to black tank to get it to at least 2/3 full. Will dump black, add water, dump again and then dump gray. Once or twice a year I will hook the hose up to the flush system to clean it out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Pmedic4

Dumping it all

We dump after every weekend, and use chemicals. Like several other people have said, we put a lot of water into the Black tank when we're getting ready to leave, to make sure there is a good amount of liquid.

Now, an unsavory story, on one of our earlier RV's, always followed the standard procedure of dumping the black water tank, and then the Gray to flush the lines. One trip, we went to the storage area to pick up our RV and noticed a strong smell - yech, but just thought it was warm and had enough residual in the Black water tank to leave it's odoriferous aroma. Stayed the weekend, and noticed the Black water tank was unusually full, but said we're leaving so no big deal. When we went to dump the Black water tank, we didn't hear anything come out, fortunately the valves were right there in the open, so wasn't anything like a broken cable. Found about a 1 1/2 foot up, the black dump pipe was clogged. And you know what, even though it's your S***, it still isn't appetizing to have to reach up and clean that out, and of course it was further up than my little EMS latex gloves covered my hands. Problem fixed- yea!

So now some will say how does this apply, well, because the waste set in the BW@ tank all the solids broke down, but now there was this thick sludge in the bottom of the take that somewhat settled in good and tight, couldn't easily flush it out, so the smell didn't go away. Ended up getting one of the BW Tank wands to go into the tank to move the sludge out.

Moral of the story, dump everytime and don't let the S*** lie around, it will be harder to remove. It didn't get hard, the water just runs out leaving the solids

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Koladog

My experience with not dumping between camp sites is that crud in the black tank will slosh around and interfere with the sensors. This happened on our last trip. We overnighted at one camp site before heading to our next destination. The black tank was reading 1/3 full when leaving. When arriving at the next camp site the black tank read full so obviously something gummed up the sensors. It took 3 full flushings of the black tank before the sensors were reading ok.
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Kristi

If yours has 30 gallon tanks like ours, they will fill up pretty quick, we empty & flush ours after each trip, I really don't want to risk a smelly problem. We also put a bit of downy fabric softener liquid in the tank to lube the sides so nothing sticks.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
{tpc}

This thread was a good read, I'm glad I asked the question. So essentially, just fill it up with water prior to leaving if it isn't full enough so we have the ability to dump it.

I seen I'm going to need to buy some more stuff for cleaning lol. Maybe this weekend we can just "skip" the toilet use. lol

Oh and yes it's 30 gallons.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
We also put a bit of downy fabric softener liquid in the tank to lube the sides so nothing sticks.
Kristi -
An alternative, and perhaps a cheaper one, to Downy is Calgon in powder form. It comes in a cereal size box and really makes the water "slippery". I'm not sure if it is available under that name in the U.S. I take some out of the original container and put it in smaller ones for easier and more convenient storage and use.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Javi

We usually stay in campground with either full hookups or at least dump stations so I dump before heading home. If at a full hookup site I will generally flush the black tank before leaving. But no matter what I always add about 10 gallons of water and a good dose of liquid dish soap to the black tank and both grey tanks. you'd be very surprised at what will come out of those tanks after a few hundred miles of sloshing. Then shortly after we get home I will bring the trailer home and drain, fill and empty all three tanks until I'm satisfied that they're clean.

Then I add about 5 gallons and another dollop of dish soap to the black tank before taking it back to storage.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

Being a full-timer and stay hooked up, I empty mine every Saturday
or if it starts to belch back at me (indication that the vent tube is
covered), .... which ever occurs first. I also use the flush system
every time. Missed using it for a few cycles and was surprised at
the amount of extra flushing I had to do to get the flush water to
my standard of clean looking ... a slow 10 count without seeing
anything float by and can see through it ... clearly.
Then 3 bowels of water each with a cap of Downey.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
fla-gypsy

I always dump after a camping trip before leaving and I have never flushed the black tank. Just can't see the point of flushing a tank that I plan on putting more er, solids in. I do place a deodorant, laundry softener and laundry detergent in the tank after dumping
Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
theeyres

As others are saying, dump after every use. Black doesn't have to completely full, but enough water to get a good drain. I've owned trailers for 40 years and until the last few years never even heard of flushing and no trailers had a way to do it. Never had a problem, never any build up that I knew about, never any clogs. So if you can't flush with fresh water I wouldn't worry about it. Even though I now know about it and have the ability with my current trailer I still only flush it all out when I know I won't be using it for several months--I only use water in the black tank--no chemicals--no need.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Western Traveler

We discharge the tanks after every trip. Years ago I got in the habit of pouring 2 to 3 five gallon pails of water down the toilet at the end to create a surge of water exiting when a hose was available for filling them. Now even with the flush system I still try to do that. It only took one time not getting back to a trailer we kept on the lower Colorado River as soon as we anticipated and found the water had evaporated out of the black tank in our absence. Of course the solids were still there.
Festus thanks for the Calgon idea.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #16
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Kristi -
An alternative, and perhaps a cheaper one, to Downy is Calgon in powder form. It comes in a cereal size box and really makes the water "slippery". I'm not sure if it is available under that name in the U.S. I take some out of the original container and put it in smaller ones for easier and more convenient storage and use.
Calgon powder isn't stocked or sold everywhere, but I believe that it's just sodium carbonate, which is also called washing soda or soda ash.

Soda ash can usually be found where pool supplies are sold.

I stopped using the commercial products and now use soda ash and powdered laundry detergent with good results (no smell and clean tank).
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
MarkS

I dump and flush after every trip.

Every so often you will see a post by someone who leaves the black tank full too long. They have to air the trailer out for a few days before they can use it again. You may think you are going next weekend, but people get sick, TVs break down, whatever. Are you sure you will get back?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
bobbecky

We had been using the powdered Calgon, ran out, and found the liquid Calgon in Walmart. I found it is actually easier to use, don't have to mix the powder with hot water to dissolve prior to dumping down toilet. We have 53 Gal tank, and I'm using two caps in the tank along with the blue treatment. So far, it is working great.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #19
{tpc}

Thanks again all, Kristi was correct, the 30 gallon tank fills up pretty quick. We didn't fill it but it had more in it than I expected.

Now I am just wondering if it really is 30 gallon or if they somehow split the 30 gallons between the gray and black tanks. Logic would indicate this is impossible but who knows. Like maybe once the gray is full some if it goes into the black?

Dumping it was easier than I thought, and I even used the black water flushing part on the back of the trailer. Everything seemed to work really well in that aspect.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #20
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Thanks again all, Kristi was correct, the 30 gallon tank fills up pretty quick. We didn't fill it but it had more in it than I expected.

Now I am just wondering if it really is 30 gallon or if they somehow split the 30 gallons between the gray and black tanks. Logic would indicate this is impossible but who knows. Like maybe once the gray is full some if it goes into the black?

Dumping it was easier than I thought, and I even used the black water flushing part on the back of the trailer. Everything seemed to work really well in that aspect.
Great! I doubt it's split 15/15. I was under my 238ML for a while and confirmed that there are two distinct tanks that run side to side. I doubt yours is much different than mine.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote