Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
DFreiberger

Keystone Queen Matress

Looking for help. My Outback did not come with the Simmons matress which is advertised. The one I have is about 5 inches thick and lacking support. Correct me if I am wrong. RV queen is not the same as standard queen? I am considering a different matress. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Firecapt

The mattress that came with our 5er was a non-standard sized mattress; not to mention extremely cheap & uncomfortable!

We immediately replaced it with a cut to size piece of 4" foam. We have a foam shop near us and we tried the various densities (support levels). We bought ours with a zip-on cover to help protect it.

The foam is not only great to sleep on, but also acts as a temperature barrier (insulator) from the cold that seeps up from below. Very comfortable, and we couldn't be happier

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Sparrow5181

I wasn't real excited about the queen mattress on the Passport. I had an inexpensive foam mattress topper that I was no longer using elsewhere that I cut to fit and when that was ineffective I added a 2 inch memory foam topper. Now it's wonderful! Also, standard queen sheets fit much better.
Sparrow5181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
DFreiberger

Know what you mean about cheap. I am by no means not a big guy and can feel the wood under my a~~s. Four inch foam seems thin but I guess the density is the key...

Thanks
DFreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
KanTC

DFreiberger,

You are correct -- an RV Queen is 60" wide x 74" long (some 75" long) -- a residential queen is 60" x 80".

To my knowledge, an RV queen is not available in the typical retail (furniture/mattress) stores, although you may be able to get one by special order. If replacing your mattress, also keep in mind that (depending on your floorplan) not all bedrooms have adequate space for the extra 6" length of a residential queen.

We kept our 'not so great' 5" mattress and added a 3" Memory Foam topper, in addition to a high density/thickly quilted mattress pad. 2 or 3 times a year we flip/turn the mattress (head to foot/top to bottom) which helps too.

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Sparrow5181

Another thing to keep in mind when considering a better mattress is access to any under bed storage you may have. A heavier, less flexible mattress may be a pain in the neck when trying to access that area.
Sparrow5181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Firecapt

Wink

Two things I didn't mention:

- The foam comes in various thicknesses from a topper (1-2 inches) to 6 inch. The density is indeed the key and there was a choice of about 5-6 different densities in addition to foam types. You can get one that is very "hard" or very "soft" and everything in between. Since these loose their support over time (just like a regular mattress) you will need to ask about that as well.

- Our new foam mattress weighed a lot less than the original, a key point as mentioned by Sparrow5181 for easy access to the under-the-bed area.

Again, I can't stress enough the insulating properties of foam. The cold that we felt seeping up from below simply stopped! I don't believe this would be the case with any standard mattress where you didn't use a topper.

Finally, the foam I am referring to isn't the expensive Temper-Pedic (memory foam). I would recommend finding a foam shop near you and checking out their products (lie down on it for a while) in addition to researching standard mattress replacements and toppers.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
antiqfreq

My queen mattress in my fiver is the standard 60 x 80 inch - I just took the one from my spare bedroom and put it in there as the one that came with it was sorta useless. I used a 3" memory foam for a year on top of old one, but decided I didn't want to keep using it so I put my Serta perfect sleeper mattress in there and now it is heaven!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
CWtheMan

You should be able to order the type and size mattress you want from any well established dealer, even a chain such as Sears or JC Penny. We did that right after we got our trailer. Got a 60" x 75" pillow top. About twice as heavy as the one that came with the trailer. Like someone else said it makes getting into the storage area a little more difficult so we just keep seasonal stuff stored under there.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
BigCajun

I replaced mine with the same brand mattress that I have at home. That way, It feels the same as home, just a tad smaller in size.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Devildogmom

Question

When replacing a queen mattress, how hard is it to get it in the door and back to the bedroom?
Devildogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

It is a bit awkward but not that difficult. The mattress bends somewhat so two people can get it in the door and to the bedroom fairly easily. We (my wife and I) removed it, had it rebuilt with a topper, and we replaced it. Didn't have to hire movers or cut down any walls. You can do it!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Mosnowman

Nova form from Costco......

Costco sells a queen size foam/gel topper that works great! It also lengthened the bed for me since I am 6'3" tall.....

I paid $140 for top of the line Novaform and dont regret it one bit....
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #14
Charli

We had just purchased a new foam mattress from a local foam mattress store for our TT. 6" of medium firm foam plus 3" memory foam glued together. Slept on it 3 nights and it was great. Just like our mattress at home. Then our TT got written off for hail damage. Just bought a new Cougar XLite 26SAB 5er and we will be trying out the mattress that came with it in about 2 weeks. I know it won't be as nice as the memory foam but hopefully it will be acceptable. If not its back to the foam store.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Cathie&Al

Where do you find sheets for these odd sized mattresses?
Cathie&Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
Charli

Actually the standard Queen fitted sheets fit fine. The elastic corners just hug underneath the mattress more than on a full size queen mattress
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
Royal

Sounds like you received the same cheep mattress that we did when we bought our new Cougar 5ver in january. Shortly after getting it, we left for a 3 month trip and after 3 weeks with waking up with a backache and the mattress looking more like a section of an old wagon train road, we filed a claim with Keystone for a new mattress. They approved it, but we were by then in the Tucson, AZ area and the mattress would be in Oregon. We checked with a Keystone dealer in Tucson, he said that he would file a claim though them, but it would take 7-10 days for approval and then the ship time to them. I figured by that time, I'd be crippled and not having any fun.
We ended up thanking our dealers for their efforts, but figured that we'd be having the same problem with a Keystone replacement. We'd put a foam pad in our previous trailer and it was better that the orginal mattress but not great. We looked at several options and decided to go with a middle of the road Sleep Number mattress. Truthfully, I think it is overpriced, but I find it extremely comfortable. The nice part is that it's lightweight, full queen and a good nights sleep is priceless.
Royal
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Pullrite SuperGlide 16K
Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
Str8shooter

We also purchased the mid priced Sleep Number bed for your Raptor - what a difference from the original mattress. We topped it with a 2" foam pad from Costco. We have had a Sleep Number bed at home the past six years also with the 2" foam pad. For us they provide a good nights sleep.

Rick & Carol
16k Pullrite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
2011 Polaris Ranger XP 800
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
JennInMB

We ordered a mattress for our bed, too. The manufacturer called it a "Queen Short" and they just charged us an extra $50 for the modification. I personally am much too warm of a sleeper for any sort of foam mattress or topper.
JennInMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
CampDestinations.com

Not sure what size your mattress is but some of the Keystones do have standard residential queen mattresses. Our Passport was 80x60 std. For the first season we used the stock mattress. My wife was fine on it, but I hurt terribly after a camping trip. It always aggravated my sciatica. Even a 2" thick topper didn't seem to fix the problem.

So for this season we replaced with a standard queen inner spring with pillowtop from Overstock.com. It weighs more, by about 40-50 pounds than stock, but I sleep happily and pain-free now.