Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
rclark

2d AC Kicks out Breaker When On Generator

We have bedroom ac from Keystone. 5500 Onan Generator kicks breaker when we attempt to use both AC's. Shore power works fine on 50 Amp. I tried both units on shore power today and found both units were running on the same line 2 and drawing 28 amps. I think I have a 20 amp breaker and a 30 amp breaker on the Onan. While the main ac is on and I start the 2d ac the 20 amp breaker on the Onan kicks out a short while later.

Is it possible the circuits are wired backwards on the generator?? OR???? Maybe the ac's should be on sep lines??

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
We have bedroom ac from Keystone. 5500 Onan Generator kicks breaker when we attempt to use both AC's. Shore power works fine on 50 Amp. I tried both units on shore power today and found both units were running on the same line 2 and drawing 28 amps. I think I have a 20 amp breaker and a 30 amp breaker on the Onan. While the main ac is on and I start the 2d ac the 20 amp breaker on the Onan kicks out a short while later.

Is it possible the circuits are wired backwards on the generator?? OR???? Maybe the ac's should be on sep lines??
I will pretty much guarantee both ACs (although on separate/individual circuits in your panel) are being fed by the same leg by your 50 amp supply....

Which is not a problem on 50 amp park service....

But when running off your generator, both 20 amp circuits (1, 20 amp for each a/c) are being fed by either one of your your two generator circuits.

Solution is to relocate that circuit on your main distribution panel. You want one a/c powered by leg A, and the other a/c powered by leg B.

Ideally, you want main a/c and microwave together on the leg fed by the 30 amp side of your genny.... And the other a/c of the leg which is fed 20 amp side of your genny.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
abneynormal

shouldnt be

open your fuse panel and see what breaker is what. mine does it occasionally. it kicks one of the breakers on the generator compartment. give it a minute and reset. I have 2 spares jic that one finally wont reset.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
rclark

Thanks for the replies. Will check it out when we get stopped in TX. Has not been hot yet and probably don't need both, but want it work when I do need them both. I have the heat on tonight in Deming NM Walmart. Have unplugged the TV just to make sure I have enough battery in the AM. Thanks again Rich

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
...Have unplugged the TV just to make sure I have enough battery in the AM. Thanks again Rich
Some tow vehicles drop the 12v connection between the TV battery and the 7 way on the back of the truck when the truck key is removed from the ignition. Would eliminate the need for disconnecting.

DC voltage tester is all you'd need to confirm. Worth testing.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote