Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
DanandDonna

Smile Good Sam, CAA/AAA, Extra Insurnace Coverage

Hi All,

The DW and I have been discussing this for awhile and have decided we would like to hear from others with their ideas.

First off we are planning to go into full retirement mode within the next two years, and when we do we are going to put all our worldly belongings in storage and travel the highways and byways of North America for at least one year. We were wondering who has the best coverage for our Travel Trailer and Tow Vehicle. Is it Good Sam, or CAA/AAA or through our local auto cover group {insurance}. Also I use a NAPA certified service center to work on my Tow Vehicle and can get coverage from them as well. But what We would really like to know comes from you the Snow Bird and Travelling Public that use these forums. Please let us Know and I will keep an eye on the Thread.

Thanks in advance.
DanandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not a snowbird (but this winter may change that) and I don't full-time, so there may be some slight differences in that part of your considerations. We have Progressive RV insurance. This past summer, we had an incident where a tree fell on our fifth wheel destroying the roof and the structural support under it. Additionally all the vents, air conditioner, skylight and TV antenna were destroyed or damaged.

After the incident, we arrived home about 9AM and I called the insurance "accident hot line" I gave them the information about the incident, answered a few questions and was then asked if I knew where I wanted to tow the trailer for repairs. I asked if the dealership where we bought would work and was told that if I took it there, the insurance adjuster would meet with the service department as soon as possible and that I'd receive a call when that meeting occurred. About 3 days later, I received a call from the insurance adjuster with all the details of what they planned to do and was given his number to call if I had any questions along the way.

The dealership repaired the fifth wheel, Progressive paid the bill and they all kept me informed of progress along the way.

I am sure there are many other options for insurance coverage. Each situation is slightly different and other plans may fit your requirements better. For us, Progressive did what they said they would do. They handled the claim promptly, accurately and included me (and my concerns/desires) in every step of the process. I didn't feel "left out" or "ignored" in any aspect of the claim.

I'd urge you to discuss more than just the "bottom line cost" when shopping for a policy. Find one that includes alternate housing, transportation, reimbursement of out of pocket expenses, personal property protection as well as "just covering the RV".

Good luck in your search and in your future plans to travel and enjoy retirement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
MarkS

Hi DanandDonna,

Were you asking about break down, extend warranty, or accident insurance? All of the above? For break down, make sure it includes towing for a RV.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote