Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
coodle0216

Polar Package

Have a 2012 Cougar Lite 27RKS 5th wheel with Polar Package. Does anyone know how low of temperature this would be safe at? All the brouchure says is that it has a enclosed heated underbelly, but no temperature given like the Polar Package Plus (0 degree rated). Thanks
coodle0216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you've looked around a bit and found several items of interest. There is something documented in this forum about nearly every subject an RV owner can think of. And, if by chance, you think of something that hasn't been asked, pick a section that seems to apply and ask away.

As for Keystone's "polar pack" or "arctic Pack" or "winter camping Package" or any other name that may come up. The general consensus is that it's a marketing gimmic, not a "true arctic protection package"

I just did a forum search using the words "polar pack" and came up with 7 recent threads that discuss winter camping with this package. Use your search feature, read those topics and if you still have questions and can't find any more winter camping threads, just jump in and ask the question.

The reason we urge members to use the search feature is that by keeping the topics in a few threads, we help future searchers find topics faster and easier.

Enjoy reading those threads, and I'm sure your questions are covered there, but if not, then ask away.

Again, welcome to the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
f6bits

I think my trailer has some sort of polar/arctic package. My trailer is white, like a polar bear.

It also has an "enclosed heated underbelly." One duct goes from my furnace to under the floor. And one night in the desert, the temperature hit 25 degrees. We survived. But I wouldn't trust any trailer in round-the-clock sub-freezing temperatures unless it was specially modified after purchase.

You'll be better off searching the web for tips on RVing in freezing climates. It's definitely not just plug-and-play.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coodle0216 View Post
Have a 2012 Cougar Lite 27RKS 5th wheel with Polar Package. Does anyone know how low of temperature this would be safe at? All the brouchure says is that it has a enclosed heated underbelly, but no temperature given like the Polar Package Plus (0 degree rated). Thanks
Mine has the Polar Package and we have camped in lows down to 22 outside and been fine, but the furnace runs a fair bit. If your going to camp with it in cold weather make sure you run the furnace a lot, you'll go thru the propane but at least you won't freeze up. Also open the cupboard doors that have plumbing piping in them to let the heat at them.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
camper 2010

We spent the winter in San Antonio, NM this year in a 2010 Cougar with the Polar Package. Several nights it was around 10 to 14 getting up to 35 to 40 in the day. We ran the heater at 65 at night and 72 in the day. We did have a heated water supply hose to keep it from freezing. We kept the black tank closed and emptied it once a week and the other tanks open all the time. We did not have any problems with the cold, using 60 lbs of propane a week.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
ktmracer

My experience is that the "polar package" makes the Outback a nice 3 season trailer. We have had ours in nighttime temps in the low 20's, but daytime in the 40's. If it was constantly in the 20's in the daytime and near 0 at night I suspect the furnace would be running round the clock.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

My winter camping was several years ago. December Elk hunt, 0 or minus at night up to 20 day time 7 days.. 3 RVs all froze up, all had gennys. We would leave camp before day light, return around dark or later. Tried leaveing RV temps at 50 degrees but batteries could not keep up ran gennys all night or most of it. Toilets quit working, fresh water lines froze etc. We had to torch jacks to un freeze them when we left. Maybe they would not have froze if someone stayed all day to run gennys and replace propane etc. My RV was a Artic Fox 4 season at the time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
mikell

2010 Alpine it was 9 last night and no problem. I have an oil filled heater in the basement with a wall section to the craql space removed. The furnace is set to 65 and the fireplace ran all night furnace came on a couple of times this morning. Heated water like and heater in basement are on seperate circut from the Alpine.

3rd winter full timing in Michigan the heat pump keeps it good and warm when it's above 30 out.

Biggest thig is plug the air leaks

If your boondocking I wouldn't try it without a generator running 24-7
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
coodle0216

Polar package

Thank you so much for all your responses. They gave us the info we wanted. Thanks again !!!
coodle0216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
bevrevak

Keeping warm

Right after purchasing my 08 Cougar I added extra insulation, 2 inches to the ceiling of the storage area under the closet, 1 inch laid on the floor of the basement and 1 inch in the ceiling between the the aluminum floor and wall supports. I also wrapped the ducting with mylar bubble wrap insulation. The privacy shades didn't offer any insulation so I simply pushed them up the whole way. So for the windows I used light colored, inexpensive polyester blankets cut to fit inside the cornices/frames, using a few staples to secure them inside the top of the cornice. They allow light in, some air flow to help with any condensation and are easily removed. I used two small electric heaters set on the low setting and occasionally the central heat. I bought 80 gallons in September and have 40 left at this writing. It's been well below freezing a number of times this winter and I've been cozy. I didn't have to sleep in sweats.
bevrevak is offline   Reply With Quote