Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
JOEFATIMA

Added electrical outlet on new Bullet 230BHS

Hard to believe they only installed one electrical outlet in kitchen area and its under cabinet next to exit door. Had a new outlet installed under cabinet next to frig. so we can hook up our coffee pot and not have cords hanging over or in sink.
2004 1/2 ton Sierra pickup
Previous trailer - 2619 Trailmanor
JOEFATIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
alien_scones

One more item for future shoppers to consider.

There are two outlets in the kitchen in our Laredo 300RB.

Now, only if there was enough counter space to use all four outlets...
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
michol02

Also added another plug in kitchen. (added 4 plugs total throughout the trailer) They are separate from the 30 amp trailer service. They tie into a 12 gauge extension cord that is tie wrapped to the 30 amp cord, and it plugs into the 20 amp park receptacle.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
camper 2010

Are you relying only on the 20 amp braker from the shore power?
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
JOEFATIMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper 2010 View Post
Are you relying only on the 20 amp braker from the shore power?
I remember in my Trailmanor that I hook up a heater, microwave and coffee pot to a power strip and plugged into my trailer outlet. As soon as the boys awake and turn on TV (another outlet) blow out the circuit breaker. To many items on the same time. To get away from that constant happening I ran the outlet strip out the door directly to the 20 amp plug at campground. Work most of the time until the wife and kids turn on everything the same time. Got rid of the portable microwave and unplugged heater first thing in the morning. I know I'm cruel but was the most logical thing to do. Now on the new trailer the only thing we hook up is the coffee pot and small (very quiet) portable heater.

Thanks for the response and any ideas.

Joe S
2004 1/2 ton Sierra pickup
Previous trailer - 2619 Trailmanor
JOEFATIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
michol02

Yes, Camper 2010, I've had this setup about 6 months(camp almost every weekend). Only had a problem once. Kept tripping the 30 amp shore power, so I took a peek inside the park's box only to find out they had tied the 20 amp breaker directly into the 30 amp breaker.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
geeman

outlet

I added an outlet to the shortside wall below the kitchen counter. Ran a new wire to the convertor/breaker area. Bought another breaker and put it into a blank spot. It also gave me a plug for the griddle when using the kitchen counter extension table.

And it got me away from the darn hanging cords from the under cabinet outlets.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
mikell

My last 5er was a Terry and I added an entire circut for the living area under the unit with outdoor rated extension cord wire. 3 more outlets tucked away and at floor level with the male end of the cord dangling under the back. Just plugged in a cord to it than to the 20 amp shore power when heaters were needed. The whole thing cost maybe $30 and a couple of hours of work. lots of wire ties and silicone. the outlets were the surface mount type.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Adding an outlet in the kitchen in my Outback was one of my first projects. I put it on the end of the counter by the rear door. Since it's close to the sink, I wanted it to be GFCI protected, so I tied it into the outside outlet and ran the wire through the kitchen cabinetry since everything was on one side of the trailer. When I get energetic, I plan to add a 20A inlet and use that to power extra outlets and provide power for space heaters so I can run more stuff and not trip the 30A breaker.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
ht99vpi

I also added an outlet to mine. Located it in the same place as the shore line storage. We had no outlets on the double slide side of our camper, this allowed us to plug in our space heater with out tripping the breaker in the camper. I ran a 12g outdoor extension to the shore box and pluged it into the 20 amp circut there. This has been very useful this winter, we were also able to plug in a set of Christmas lights.
ht99vpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
byrdr1

On my Cougar TT I added two outlets outside and one inside.
One on the tongue of the trailer for the flagpole lights and one by the back arm of the awning. this allowed me to run a separate circuit for these lights when needed. also was able to run coffee pot or griddle outside and not blow a breaker. Run the inside outlet for a electric heater. I had a waterproof plug hanging down and you could plug that into the camp site 20 amp breaker, while the camper was plugged into the 50a outlet with an adapter (50a-30a).
Worked all the time.
NOw I feel like I am good with outlets in the cougar and having full 50a service too. I now run the 30a drop cord to my outside cooking station. I can run the griddle and coffee pot at the same time. plus lights if needed. charge the golfcart too, but not while using the cooking stuff.
have a great day
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
SlowPoke

Thumbs up Couldn't resist this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEFATIMA View Post
I remember in my Trailmanor that I hook up a heater, microwave and coffee pot to a power strip and plugged into my trailer outlet. As soon as the boys awake and turn on TV (another outlet) blow out the circuit breaker. To many items on the same time. To get away from that constant happening I ran the outlet strip out the door directly to the 20 amp plug at campground. Work most of the time until the wife and kids turn on everything the same time. Got rid of the portable microwave and unplugged heater first thing in the morning. I know I'm cruel but was the most logical thing to do. Now on the new trailer the only thing we hook up is the coffee pot and small (very quiet) portable heater.

Thanks for the response and any ideas.

Joe S
I know this is an older thread, but when I read it it just reminded me of the Green Acres episode, "You can't plug in a 2 with a 6"

I let my wife watch the utube episode just to further explain the theory for our TT. In case you want to see it I unbelievably found the whole episode... the part I refer to is in the first 4 minutes...lol CLASSIC!!!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote