Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Lisa B

swivel wheel question

Looking to add a class 3 hitch to new fifth wheel. Hoping to use a swivel wheel attachment from Cruiser Lyft to haul golf cart.
Anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks!
Lisa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Before you add a class 3 hitch on the back of that trailer I would rebuild the back of the trailer to gusset the frame, reinforce the existing receiver and then still say no.

I've driven well over a million miles, maybe millions, on our highways and byways and I've never seen one of those "swivel" tire trailers - maybe just not in this part of the country (center and all of South)? Looking at it you are going to place the entire weight of the golf cart (how big?) on the little trailer shelf and then the receiver and little tire are going to support that over the highway, potholes, frost heaves, the LA on/off launches on every bridge.....I wouldn't do it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Lisa B

swivel wheel

this is more of what we are looking at

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel
Old 09-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

IMHO it would be much wiser to take the 6K for that plus however many thousands to modify the trailer frame and put it towards a toy hualer. I look at those and think of the "fifth wheel dolly" advertised that you can pull a fiver with a SUV. Never seen one on the road and probably for good reason.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Lisa B

already have a toy hauler. wanted to switch to regular fifth wheel for more living space. but have to find a way to also bring golf cart with us. so hence the problem....
Old 09-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa B View Post
this is more of what we are looking at

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel

Do you actually go anywhere with the trailer? That would be my first thought. 8" wheels on the back of that little thing spinning 65mpg going thousands of miles - ain't happening for me. I've not seen any of them on the road and I figure it's because they're as "professional" as the spelling in their advertisement; "Except no substitutes".... OK, I'm out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
jasin1

I asked about ones of these a while ago (didn’t want one just saw it on the web) …I wouldn’t want the headache of backing up and dealing with the trailer…do you have to disconnect it and unload it to back into your site? In the middle of the campground road? And have to push it over to the site? Seems like a giant pita unless your at a pull thru site exclusively. God forbid you go down the wrong road and can’t turn around…not for me
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 AM   #8
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I asked about ones of these a while ago (didn’t want one just saw it on the web) …I wouldn’t want the headache of backing up and dealing with the trailer…do you have to disconnect it and unload it to back into your site? In the middle of the campground road? And have to push it over to the site? Seems like a giant pita unless your at a pull thru site exclusively. God forbid you go down the wrong road and can’t turn around…not for me
I checked into one of these about four or five years ago and no it does free pivot it is like an extension to the 5er. I checked with FDOT Police actually talked to a Captain about whether or not it was legal in Florida and considered Triple Hauling was told it was not legal and was considered Triple Hauling by Florida Statues. They went on to say that wished it wasn't because they always had to take a separate truck and trailer to carry their golf cart or ATV when they went camping and would like to get one.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:16 AM   #9
jasin1

I imagine if you tweak one of the wheels backing in to a spot, the wheel would end up like a messed up wheel on a shopping cart ….fluttering and grabbing

Also found some limitations and requirements on the website..it can transfer a fair amount of weight to the fifth wheel and can cause problems with the frame and slides if installed or used improperly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E5D63DF-6BB3-4389-AF89-BB163BCFFD01.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	35762   Click image for larger version

Name:	EF90A4B5-3140-4864-9197-1495545D5489.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	35763   Click image for larger version

Name:	87C62EB6-039B-45E3-9760-DF05D8E099B2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	35764  
Old 09-11-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Good points everyone above is bringing out. I may add, in Indiana, if it has a wheel and the wheel touches the ground, it's considered a trailer, no matter how it's attached to the vehicle in front of it. Because it's a trailer, it will need lights and be licensed as a trailer with it's own license plate. And if it has a total weight including carrying a weight over 3000 pounds, it has to have brakes also.

I saw one of these behind an SUV just a couple days ago at an Indiana grocery store and it caught my attention. The people were using it to transport a motorized wheel chair. It has a "trailer" license plate on it, attached with 2 receiver hitches, had it's own lights and safety chains.

So, you need to check the rules in your home state to understand what you have to do to legally use it on the road.

And one more item to consider? How much extra length will this put on the total length of your tow vehicle, trailer, and second "trailer". Every state has it's own limit how long the total length of a "rig" can be.

I'm not giving you any specifics about your state of residence and what their rules are, you need to discover that yourself from the correct legal sources, not just hear-say from an internet web-site that may or may not be correct, or hear-say from someone on a forum web site that will get their answers from the same internet sources.

I'm just saying, these are a couple more things you really need to consider and check out. You may be perfectly fine, and you may already have researched these issues out. But if not, before forking our a few thousand dollars for a piece of equipment that you may end up not being able to use, just check it out first.

Also, if everything passes the "legal" side of this, then you really need to get the frame of your camper reinforced to support the extra stress. And unless the trailer shafts that slide into the receiver hitch have pivot points also, there is going to be a LOT of stress on your camper frame ... which in turn could cause walls and floors to crack and separate because of the extra twisting going over dips and hills.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

On the legal side only. That company says its legal in all states, it's not. They call it an extension not a trailer. It does not matter what they call it, it's what the states law call it. Oregon MV code is what I know in/out and upside down. It's defined as a trailer. It would need to be a permanently part of the 1st trailer to be an extension of a trailer in Oregon.
For this type of device to be legal in ALL states it would cost millions and years to convince each state to adopt a change in wording/defining "trailer" since each state defines what they think is a trailer. About 20 years ago a great well written law was proposed to allow non comm vehicles to pull 2 trailers. I think the State Police supported it. But it did not even get out of the committee to get a vote. Another idea was in trial was a 2 point attachment. Oregon DMV allowed a company to test the idea for xx days on public roads. I only know about it since I pulled over the tester for 2 trailers and read the paperwork and confirmed it was allowed for testing. For unknown reasons it was never allowed to be legal. My opinion was the cost of seeing it through the state system.
It costs thousands to change or modify any law in any state. No one builder of specialty items like this will ever be able to get it legal in all states! cost and time is far beyond even a company like Keystone to try.
DOT normally remains silent on this things and sticks with comm vehicles.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote