Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #21
erm626

Sometimes just running the pump for a few seconds with the City Water off. Might solve the problem !
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #22
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
Wouldn't a ball valve work just as well instead of the check valve ? Just shut if off if not using the pump ?
The only problem with that is, you would have to remove the wall in the pass through compartment every time you would need to operate the valve. The check valve is automatic.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:23 AM   #23
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Honestly I would have thought it was in the fill position also going by the little valve decal... it's a terrible labeling for sure...
Sort of like the disconnect switch.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #24
CHR13

Good day and a quick question, I am having thus same issue and problem with the fresh water tank filling and overflowing from the tank vent on the side of the 5th wheel...I have just replaced the pump and still have the same issue/problem.
I have seen the picture of the check valve on the pressure side and since I don't believe it is the valve in the pump now because I have replaced it, would a check valve be installed on a different line else where after the pump to keep this issue from happening?
I have heard that a check valve on the discharge side of the pump is where most folks install the check valve?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
CHR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHR13 View Post
Good day and a quick question, I am having thus same issue and problem with the fresh water tank filling and overflowing from the tank vent on the side of the 5th wheel...I have just replaced the pump and still have the same issue/problem.
I have seen the picture of the check valve on the pressure side and since I don't believe it is the valve in the pump now because I have replaced it, would a check valve be installed on a different line else where after the pump to keep this issue from happening?
I have heard that a check valve on the discharge side of the pump is where most folks install the check valve?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
What brand of water pump do you have? Are you using a pressure regulator on your city water connection? If so, what type/brand? What is the city water pressure that is going into your trailer city water port?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #26
CHR13

It is a Pentair Shurflow pump....yes I have a regulator on the city water supply and it stays at about 35 pounds, 40 at the most.
To say the least, I am a little perplexed about the issue and am wondering if an inline check valve is my best option?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Your pump has an "integral check valve" built into the pump head. It has no "exterior to the pump check valve" in a "normal installation"...

That said, when Keystone (and most other RV manufacturers) built your trailer, they installed the fresh water tank and then drilled holes for the fittings. The "drill shavings" typically fall into the tank. Once you buy the trailer and fill the water tank, those "plastic shards" will be picked up by the suction from the water pump and transferred to the pump diaphragm. There they'll get stuck in the pumping mechanism and cause the pump "backflow valve" to leak past the city water pressure and then subsequently it will fill the fresh water tank.

The "fix" if you can call it that, is to follow the pump manufacturer's installation instructions (something Keystone fails to do in almost all their trailer lines) and install a "50 mesh intake screen" commonly called an "inlet filter or inlet strainer" between the pump intake and the fresh water tank. That way, you'll "screen out" any shavings or construction debris, including sand and silt that might come from your tank or from filling the tank. Consider that any "damaged water hose lining" will also be forced into your water tank from a damaged or "constantly bent, folded and coiled" fresh water hose....

To clean out the existing pump head, remove the pump, disassemble it (pay close attention to how you take it apart so you'll know how to reassemble it). Clean, rinse all the components, dry them and reassemble the pump. If the diaphragm is/was not damaged by the debris, it should work properly and correct your problem...

You can buy an aftermarket check valve to install at the pump outlet port (to prevent city water pressure from forcing its way into the pump, but that is a "band-aid fix" as the pump diaphragm has foreign particles in it and they will eventually scratch/tear the diaphragm and you'll be buying a new pump head.

So, one afternoon when you've got nothing to do, fix your pump and install that strainer on the inlet line from the fresh water tank. I think that will fix your problem "for the life of the pump".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #28
CHR13

Question, so is the flow arrow pointing up?

Tags
pump, tank, water