Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
jbrosecity

How to eliminate popping sound in my Keystone Avalanche 5th Wheel

I noticed a "popping" sound regularly when moving about our 2019 Keystone Avalanche 382FL 5th Wheel. I googled this and found this is a common issue with Lippert Leveling systems which can be resolved by following the the steps outlined in their TI-191 bulletin. I am posting procedure here for the benefit of others who have this common problem.
ADDING ANTI-STICTION FLUID TO HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
which I had made available here
TI-191 Bulletin

I ordered Maxima 5690115WT Standard Hydraulic Fork Oil from amazon as recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WKAV2U/
I had several questions so I emailed Lippert support <[email protected]> and received a reply from
Isaac Davis
Contact Center Leveling/Slides Technical Representative

Mr Davis answered all my questions and so with his input I performed the following procedure

1) Lippert confirmed that the hydraulic leveling jacks use the same reservoir as the hydraulic slide. It is located in the forward passenger side compartment with the battery.

2) According to Lippert instructions, when the 6-point leveling system jacks are all fully extended, the fluid in the reservoir will be reduced... and when retracted, the fluid is drawn back into the reservoir filling it up.

3) Following instructions in the TI-191 bulletin, extract about 1 quart of fluid from the reservoir and then add back 1/2 quart of the Torco RFF Grade 15 oil. It says to use a turkey baster however the way Keystone has installed the reservoir, that doesn't work well. I used some clear vinyl tubing from the hardware store and inserted that into the reservoir and sucked on the hose to start the fluid siphoning out of the reservoir. I emptied about a quart and a half, then used the same hose to add a quart and a half of the Torco fluid back into the reservoir... I used a bottle with the neck the right size to get a tight fit on the hose, and wrapped a rag around it to prevent leakage.

4) Next I followed instructions to "Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully" and then to "Add the remaining amount of the specified (Torco RFF Grade 15) fluid"

5) Next I "Fully retracted all hydraulic cylinders and jacks". I retracted the kitchen hydraulic slides as well.

6) At this point if the fluid in the reservoir is more than 3/4 inch below the filler cap, I added more fluid to fill it up. Do not overfill... over filling can damage system according to Lippert.

7) Next I fully extended the slides and the jacks to mix the fluid in the hydraulic lines, and then fully retracted them once again.

8) Finally I "Ran the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per instructions." I also extended the slides again.
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
travelin texans

As mentioned only add oil to reservoir to 1/4-1/2" below opening when all slides/jacks are retracted. As to damaging unit I don't know about that but it will make a big oily mess if overfilled.
I did this procedure as well, worked great & use the fork oil to top off reservoir as needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:29 AM   #3
Jnich17

I have a 2019 Avalanche 375RD. My front driver side cylinder on jacks leaks down about a 1/4" in a months time. Does anyone else have this problem? I have to go to auto level again to get it to level up. If it is the cylinder I need to get it looked at before warrantee is out.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Ginnylarry1

Thank you for this post. We had one week at an rv park where our jacks were popping all the time. It hasn’t done it since that one week, but I’m wondering whether this is a warranty issue if they issued a bulletin? It doesn’t sound like an easy job to do and we have had horrible service from the Camping World in Ft. Myers where we bought our 2019 Keystone Fuzion Fifth Wheel. Thanks.
Ginnylarry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnylarry1 View Post
Thank you for this post. We had one week at an rv park where our jacks were popping all the time. It hasn’t done it since that one week, but I’m wondering whether this is a warranty issue if they issued a bulletin? It doesn’t sound like an easy job to do and we have had horrible service from the Camping World in Ft. Myers where we bought our 2019 Keystone Fuzion Fifth Wheel. Thanks.
There is a "factory bulletin" on the problem. http://www.wind-seeker.com/tech/Lipp...ic-systems.pdf

The addition of anti-stiction fluid is really quite simple and "just the opposite of your impression that "it doesn't sound like an easy job to do"... Quite the contrary, it's about as simple as any that you'd tackle on your Fuzion. Don't be afraid of the "unknown", after reading a bit and poking your head in the storage spaces on your trailer, you'd be surprised just how easy most "owner maintenance" can be.

When you consider that it's "like an oil change in a car or truck" it's not going to be covered by warranty. That said, most dealerships would probably charge about 2 hours labor at their rate (probably $150-$175 per hour), $30-$45 for the quart of "fork oil" (available on Amazon for $11) and a "shop charge" for oil disposal and shop supplies (probably around $10)...

So, you can "do it yourself" for a couple hours of your time and $11, or you can haul it to the dealership, let it sit for "days or weeks until they can work on it" and it'll only cost you the time and fuel costs to tow it there, $300 in labor and $40 for parts/supplies... That's the "low end shop charge, it could be much more, plus you run the risk of someone breaking into your trailer, the battery being DOA when you pick it up, the dealership "backing into your trailer, causing damage or while moving your trailer, running into something with it....

For most people, the DIY approach is usually their "first choice for most simple tasks"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #6
Javi

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...94369b9db26822

Get one of these and turn it into a 20 minute job..

Tags
5th wheel, keystone