Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
lc47

In Command issue

I have a new Cougar 30rls. How do I use I Command when not connected to shore power? It is dead until I plug in, so wondering what I would do if boondocking. Thanks for any help
lc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc47 View Post
I have a new Cougar 30rls. How do I use I Command when not connected to shore power? It is dead until I plug in, so wondering what I would do if boondocking. Thanks for any help
I'm guessing you have 12 volt issues. The InCommand should be powered with 12 volt from your batteries. I have no experience with the InCommand so maybe someone while come on & set both us straight.
Did you turn off the battery disconnect, if equipped? If so you'll have no 12 volt.
Batteries are good? Dealers have a habit of putting in automotive type starting batteries that weren't designed for rv use & die quickly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
RamminTime

I have a Fuzion and the IN·Command runs off 12v. Definitely need to check your disconnect switch and 12v source.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Im with Danny on this one. I suspect the 12V system is turned off somehow. Does ANYTHING else 12V work when not plugged into shore power?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
lc47

So perhaps it is the battery disconnect. My first time using one. If it is "on" does that mean I can run things just from the battery, like the in command. Or does it have to be "off"? Disconnect and on or off is confusing.... Thanks
Old 03-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
bobbecky

The battery disconnect switch might have a large red plastic key handle, and when turned to the position that disconnects the battery from the panel, the key can be pulled out of the switch, and when the battery is connected, the key can not be pulled out. Yes, the label should say connected or disconnected to avoid confusion.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Unplug from shore power and then try the 12V stuff. If it doesnt work then flip the disconnect and try again.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
lc47

Thanks for everyone's help! Problem solved. I was confused by the on or off of the disconnect switch. Over thought it. When in the on position the disconnect is really off and when in the off position the disconnect has happened. On or off really means whether the battery power to the trailer is on or off. Everyone else knows that, and now I do too! :-) Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad you got it figured out

Old 03-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help! Problem solved. I was confused by the on or off of the disconnect switch. Over thought it. When in the on position the disconnect is really off and when in the off position the disconnect has happened. On or off really means whether the battery power to the trailer is on or off. Everyone else knows that, and now I do too! :-) Thanks again!
Been there.

The "human interface" design on this switch is practically an armed booby trap.

Here's what I did.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
The way I did/do it was to just leave the disconnect connected/on & remove the negative cable that goes directly to ground from that battery, this is the ONLY true disconnect. If the factory disconnect is disconnected/off & you're plugged into shore power your batteries won't be charging.
With the factory disconnect your batteries will be dead in as little as a couple days to a couple weeks due to parasitic drains that the disconnect does not disconnect.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
Deemik

Definitely having an InCommand issue!

So, my furnace failed to come on during the night with outdoor temp of 36. Thermostat continuously read indoor temp as 63 degrees, even tho we felt like it was much colder in the fifth wheel. Tried disconnecting the battery to reboot InCommand system. When the system came back on line, the set temperature read -458! Our zone temperature was blank. Pushed the up button on the temperature setting and the temperature immediately changed to 78 degrees. Unfortunately, the zone temperature continues to be blank. Neither the furnace or the a/c will kick on. We are 24 hours post repair shop to replace the a/c and repair the furnace. This is a 2019 RV and we are 1200 miles from home.
Deemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemik View Post
So, my furnace failed to come on during the night with outdoor temp of 36. Thermostat continuously read indoor temp as 63 degrees, even tho we felt like it was much colder in the fifth wheel. Tried disconnecting the battery to reboot InCommand system. When the system came back on line, the set temperature read -458! Our zone temperature was blank. Pushed the up button on the temperature setting and the temperature immediately changed to 78 degrees. Unfortunately, the zone temperature continues to be blank. Neither the furnace or the a/c will kick on. We are 24 hours post repair shop to replace the a/c and repair the furnace. This is a 2019 RV and we are 1200 miles from home.
If you hold the power button in on the iN·Command keypad it will reboot....do you have plenty of propane?
Old 03-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #14
markcee

Quote:
Don't feel bad. You are not the only one that over thought things. My brain could not work this out either. I ended up reversing things and put duct tape strips labeled 'BATT OFF' and 'BATT ON' in the positions my brain would understand. Now, the switch position is second nature, but initially.....boy, did I struggle with it!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #15
Deemik

Thanks, but I’ve rebooted it multiple times without it pulling up the zone temp. As long as the zone temp is blank, the HVAC won’t work. Yes, both tanks were filled at the repair shop. Initially, everything worked great when we picked it up from the repair shop. I believe there is a conflict between the Dometic furnace & a/c and the InCommand system. Everything else on the InCommand works as it should. It’s going back to the dealership when we arrive home. I’d be happy if they’d pull the HVAC of the InCommand and put it on a separate thermostat.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #16
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemik View Post
Thanks, but I’ve rebooted it multiple times without it pulling up the zone temp. As long as the zone temp is blank, the HVAC won’t work. Yes, both tanks were filled at the repair shop. Initially, everything worked great when we picked it up from the repair shop. I believe there is a conflict between the Dometic furnace & a/c and the InCommand system. Everything else on the InCommand works as it should. It’s going back to the dealership when we arrive home. I’d be happy if they’d pull the HVAC of the InCommand and put it on a separate thermostat.
You may need to "reset" your InCommand system (more than just a reboot). I have found that a true reset cures a lot of problems that will not be fixed with just a reboot. I'm not sure which InCommand system you have. I have attached the official ASA InCommand reset procedure for my system. If your system looks different, you may need to insure that you have the correct procedure for your unit.

resetting-jrvcs2.pdf

Hope the attached helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
Deemik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
You may need to "reset" your InCommand system (more than just a reboot). I have found that a true reset cures a lot of problems that will not be fixed with just a reboot. I'm not sure which InCommand system you have. I have attached the official ASA InCommand reset procedure for my system. If your system looks different, you may need to insure that you have the correct procedure for your unit.

Attachment 32445

Hope the attached helps.
Thanks for taking the time to attach the reset instructions! After reading your reply, I found the instructions specific to my model. Followed the instructions, but the zone temp is still blank and neither the air or furnace will kick on. Fortunately, everything else functions normally through the InCommand. We can manage til we arrive home.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #18
jfk69

Agree with previous comments. The In Command works on my trailer even on 12v only. Seems like you might have an issue.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #19
Deemik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
If you hold the power button in on the iN·Command keypad it will reboot....do you have plenty of propane?
Finally resolved! Repair shop found that “the gray plug in the main AC was disconnected”. They plugged it back in and the furnace, AC, and thermostat reading are now functioning properly. The plug must have came loose while we were traveling.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:44 PM   #20
sonbar

I had a similar problem, local Bluetooth worked fine but global did not…. You have to register on the app for global acct… I did that but I had to connect WiFi from the rv display. After I set up WiFi, I had no problem while in town connecting to rv but I used my hotspot in my vehicle…..
the biggest problem I have now is the rv monitor seems to get hung and reboots lol… every once in a while after screen goes black i see message.. application error …
My current. Rv site provides us internet WiFi. But if no internet, I would just one of the phones as a hotspot and leave it in rv, something I do for my ring cameras. I hope this helps..
sonbar is offline   Reply With Quote