Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #21
Windsorray

Keystone second ac

Hi I have a 2019 keystone cougar 29rks that is second ac prepped. I’m looking at getting the furrion chill. 15,500 ac I’m wondering what do I have to do to hook it up to the in command unit and help would be appreciated
Windsorray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsorray View Post
Hi I have a 2019 keystone cougar 29rks that is second ac prepped. I’m looking at getting the furrion chill. 15,500 ac I’m wondering what do I have to do to hook it up to the in command unit and help would be appreciated
First, what brand and model Air Conditioner is already installed on your Cougar? With the In-Command system, it's much easier to add the same brand of A/C rather than "mix and match".... You may well run into "control system incompatibility issues" if all the equipment is not the same brand and designed to work together with the In-Command system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:34 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just to clarify... YOU CAN HAVE TOO MUCH, in the OP's situation a 13.5 is what is needed. If you have tòo much cooling capacity the unit will "short cycle". What that means is the unit will shut down before the humidity in the air is sufficiantly reduced. The result will be a cold and damp atmosphere that will jot feel comfortable. All of the interior "soft" materials will become damp. When talking air conditiojing "bigger is better" isn't always the answer.
You are absolutely correct… I’ve walked away from jobs where the customer insists on having a 4 ton a unit installed when a 2.5 ton is all that the manual j heat load calculation called for. You end up with a cold damp cave for indoor environment.
Air conditioners are basically giant dehumidifiers and need to run long enough to pull the moisture out of the air.
The difficult part for rv’s is the calculations change with every move of the camper.
Homes are generally in permanent locations ( except for tornado interference) in relation to window position toward sun and shade and average climate

I think I would look at the area of the country you primarily camp in and size accordingly..
Someone in Texas may need a 15 k front ac and someone that lives in Canada may get by with a 9.5
I have a 13.5 and it’s good for me in the northeast with a couple trips south during the winter.
I like having two acs because I can leave the bedroom door closed and the ac set higher during the day when we aren’t really using the bedroom.
And leave the rear set low for comfort and humidity removal. During the night I switch the settings while we are sleeping,it gives me a 2 zone system like I have at my house.
On a really really hot day I leave both set low..
But yes you can have too much ac and the difference between 74 deg with high humidity and 74 with low humidity inside is night and day.
That is why it’s good for longer cycles to pull out the moisture .

BUT ….rv’s are a different beast and those with many more years of experience know what works for them.

Tags
bed, bedroom