Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2021, 01:41 AM   #21
SR71 Jet Mech

Also, sticks and bricks homes have the registers on the perimeter of the rooms where no one ever walks. Due to ease and only so much room, RVs run main duct trunk right down the center and of course we have one register 20” out in front of the couch and another one foot out from end of peninsula counter are and right in front of the fridge.
Mine too are slightly “sagged” in the center……
I never think about replacing them when I’m at the store…. Only the next time I step on one

Scott
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:30 AM   #22
Crischan

Yeah, was looking at Signature, they have some nice ones. I had to stay with the mobile home style for the extra flange because they cut the hole for the register too large. I think that this is my main issue.

Anyhow, your registers look nice!

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #23
adeakins

You raise an interesting point. Given that an estimated 2.2 million people are thought to be living full time in an RV of one type and kind or another and RV sales literature often speaks to full-timing, the industry needs to find another bush to hide behind. As to regulation, would you be willing to travel in an aircraft for which its airworthiness has not been established by an expert agency with enforcement authority. Probably not. There are so many RVs on the roads now, many of which share footprint and weight characteristics with OTR transport trucks, yet, there are no standards as to how these things are put together. And the industry obviously has done only the bare minimum in terms of quality assurance.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
dutchmensport

I always said (as a software tester by profession), that an item has quality when it is designed and built for the intended purpose. What that means is, a child's rocking chair is designed and built to hold and rock a child of less than 25 pounds. When a 300 pound adult sits on the same chair, it shatters into splinters. It was never designed or built for a 300 pound person. It was designed and built for a 25 pound or less child. Was it built inferior? no. Was it shoddy workmanship? no. Was it built with cheap materials? no. It WAS built for an intended purpose, and the 300 pound adult did not use it the way it was designed or built.

The same is true with our campers and RV's. Some are built as "entry level" campers. They are built with the intention that the person who purchases them will have them about 2 years, and then trade for something more robust. So, they are built to appease the first time buyer (or the cheap skate who thinks they are getting something for nothing). They are built with light weight material. They are built of materials that are designed to last for only "so long" and then need to be replaced for fixed (guaranteeing repeat business). They are built to be used on week-ends or the family 2 week vacation a year crowd. They are built to be lightweight so the family sedan can tow them. They are not robust, not intended for 4 season use, not intended for heavy travel, or travel over mountain or fire service roads.

Are they built inferior? No! Absolutely not! They are built to a specific specification and the person who purchases them needs to understand the limitations of what they were designed for.

Unfortunately, the Bullet IS one of those entry level campers, designed for the purpose of being an affordable camper, easy to tow, so the purchaser can be introduced to RVing, and in 2 to 3 years, will be selling for a heftier more robust camper and tow vehicle!

So, bent floor vents? Yes! Think about it.

On edit:

The true "purpose" for any RV is very basic: to make the RV manufacturer stock holders money.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
You raise an interesting point. Given that an estimated 2.2 million people are thought to be living full time in an RV of one type and kind or another and RV sales literature often speaks to full-timing, the industry needs to find another bush to hide behind.
Some brands and models of RV are specifically designed and built for full-timing. To my knowledge, Keystone doesn't make any of them. In fact, I think somewhere in their warranty they specifically void it for units being used full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Some are built as "entry level" campers. They are built with the intention that the person who purchases them will have them about 2 years, and then trade for something more robust.

So, bent floor vents? Yes! Think about it.
This would be a better argument if Keystone weren't using the exact same floor vent across their entire line of offerings.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Some brands and models of RV are specifically designed and built for full-timing. To my knowledge, Keystone doesn't make any of them. .

They specify the Montana/MHC are warranted for full time living. What that means or entails I don't know as I don't plan to do it. I have not found it on any other models. Also, the floor vents in the MHC are not the same as the ones in our last Cougar High Country.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #27
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
They specify the Montana/MHC are warranted for full time living. What that means or entails I don't know as I don't plan to do it. I have not found it on any other models. Also, the floor vents in the MHC are not the same as the ones in our last Cougar High Country.

I have a Montana High Country and it was advertised as a 4 season - full time living fifth wheel.

It did not take long to figure out exactly what that meant.

Yes, you can live in them through all 4 seasons, provided you constantly run the furnace in cold weather 50% of the heat burned goes to the underbelly.

Second, they are designed for full time LIVING! BUT NOT FULL TIME TRAVELING!

If you park it and don't move it, they are wonderful! If you travel, you can expect your first year of nothing but repairs, fixes, and warranty work. If you travel, and you've fixed everything over the course of the first year of ownership, THEN they become great traveling trailers.

So, the advertisments are correct. They are designed for full time LIVING, but not full time traveling. Park it permanent right from the show room, and you'll not have problems. (maybe)???
Old 06-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #28
Crischan

Funny post...

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor