Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
jvaski

Light Tire Wear - When to Replace

Hi Folks,

I have a 2018 189 tandem axle Springdale with about 8K miles on it.
It has the original ST 205/75R 14 tires on it ( date stamped mid 2017 )
The original tires are Rainier ST.
The tires have served me well - but just noticing very light outside scrubbing on the driver's rear tire.
(1) Considering the trailer has been very gently used for only 8K miles - is it likely that Left Rear spindle could be slightly bent ? Or is it more likely the spring shackle bushings are worn ? This trailer has no adjustments on the spring shackle bolts for alignment. It looks like they're fixed in place from the factory.
(2) After four years on the tires (date stamped mid-2017) wouldn't it be time to replace them with Goodyear Endurance ST tires - even if there's plenty of tread left ? I'm just thinking after fixing the one wheel alignment that new tires are like an insurance policy for blow-outs. Ya ? Ya ?
jvaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaski View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a 2018 189 tandem axle Springdale with about 8K miles on it.
It has the original ST 205/75R 14 tires on it ( date stamped mid 2017 )
The original tires are Rainier ST.
The tires have served me well - but just noticing very light outside scrubbing on the driver's rear tire.
(1) Considering the trailer has been very gently used for only 8K miles - is it likely that Left Rear spindle could be slightly bent ? Or is it more likely the spring shackle bushings are worn ? This trailer has no adjustments on the spring shackle bolts for alignment. It looks like they're fixed in place from the factory.
(2) After four years on the tires (date stamped mid-2017) wouldn't it be time to replace them with Goodyear Endurance ST tires - even if there's plenty of tread left ? I'm just thinking after fixing the one wheel alignment that new tires are like an insurance policy for blow-outs. Ya ? Ya ?
There is no tread mileage warranty for ST tires. They age out. Aging of ST tires is complicated. IMO, each consumer must educate themselves on their tire usage and learn to figure just how long to use them safely. Three to five years from date of manufacturer listed on the tire sidewall seems to be the norm.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
skids

Rainiers used to be one of the China bomb brands. I would change them out given the age. I am trying my luck this year with Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Even though they are rated for 81mph, I will be keeping speed below 70 mph. You could measure your hubs center to center if you have 2 axles to see if one side is longer than the other.

Maybe you could take it to a parking lot and check the plumb of the wheels if you think you have a bent spindle. You would need a 2 x 4 cut to the size of the rims and a level. A level parking lot would be needed or you would need to see how far out of plumb comparatively. I don’t know if that would give you any valid info, but it is something I would do.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
jvaski

Yes, thanks for the good advice. That's probably a good start checking the camber and distance measurements on a flat parking lot. I may pull the suspension apart on that side and check for worn bushings if I don't see any other alignment issues first. I know one of the grease fittings on the end of one of the spindles looks bent from the factory. Maybe they bent a spindle during assembly. And yes, the tires get replaced before any long hauls.
jvaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaski View Post
Yes, thanks for the good advice. That's probably a good start checking the camber and distance measurements on a flat parking lot. I may pull the suspension apart on that side and check for worn bushings if I don't see any other alignment issues first. I know one of the grease fittings on the end of one of the spindles looks bent from the factory. Maybe they bent a spindle during assembly. And yes, the tires get replaced before any long hauls.
I'd start by placing a straight edge across the face of the two tires on the same side of the trailer, horizontal to the ground. If there's a "bent spindle" you'll see it easily at the "gap on one tire edge". Lay the straight edge along the upper 1/3 of the tire, along the center of the tire and along the bottom 1/3 of the tire. If it's "flat and even in all three places, chances are the axles are good...

Granted, this is a "primitive check" but will give you an idea of the condition before you start "tearing things apart"...

I find that most people don't have the tools or ability to realign a bent spindle even if they can locate which one it is, so it's usually less work and cheaper in the long run, to just find a trailer suspension/axle shop and spend the $100-250 to have it properly aligned without tearing it apart in the driveway to find something's bent that you can't "unbend" so you put it all back together to tow it to the axle shop anyway..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Uneven tire wear (scuffing as you post) is an indication that THAT wheel is not in alignment. In which plane is irrelevant if you can do nothing about it. Take it to a trailer shop and have it fixed. JMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Uneven tire wear (scuffing as you post) is an indication that THAT wheel is not in alignment. In which plane is irrelevant if you can do nothing about it. Take it to a trailer shop and have it fixed. JMHO.
To a trailer repair shop, NOT your rv dealer!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To a trailer repair shop, NOT your rv dealer!
ABSOLUTELY !!!!! Almost all "RV dealers" sublet all their fiberglass repair, tire changeouts, wheel alignment, welding, and even most of their "hitch installations"... Few will install a receiver on a vehicle, only a few will install a hitch and adjust it to the vehicle and even fewer still will "align an axle that's causing uneven tire wear"....

Most of those "RV dealers" who sublet the work they don't do to an outsider will still charge the "premium price" as if they did it "in-shop"... So, save yourself the extra expense, don't pay the $150/hr RV dealer labor rate when they're having a trailer suspension shop do the work at $100/hr.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light