Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #1
oldmadmax52

Alpine Owners tires & TPMS

Any Alpine owners out there that have added a TPMS? Were your Stock tires "g" rated provider brand or other brand? The Wife and i just bought a 2018 3401rs and feel we should add a TPMS and we'd like input from other Alpine owners on what they have tried with success and maybe with not so much success. our tires are Provider brand g rated tired with very good looking tread but we noticed that the born on date was 31-17. so we're wondering if we should consider changing them out.
Madmax
2015 F250 PSD
2018 Alpine 3401RS
Max, Chris and Large Marge
English Bulldog Extraordinaire
oldmadmax52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
captcolour

Very first thing I did when I bought our new 2016 Alpine was bring the unit home and let it sit until I installed a set of Sailun S637 tires. The Alpine came with Provider and I didn't trust them. Sold those on Craigslist. Just need to make sure the rims are rated for 110psi. I have a TPMS which replace your valve stem caps. Forget the brand but works well. Never leave home without it!
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

We have a forum just for tires that would be more appropriate for your question as the tires on your Alpine are not unique to the trailer and a TPMS can be used on any tire/rim.

With your tires being born near the end of July in 2017 would make them 4 years old this summer. As you are the second owner you most likely do not know haw these tires were treated by the previous owner. If it were me I would replace them and install a TPMS to monitor them. A fresh start with a good set of tires and you should be trouble free for about 5 nears.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #4
Javi

I have a Avalanche if that counts

Change the tires, I never let mine get past 2 years.. cheap insurance

TPMS... Yes, I use the TST 507
Old 03-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
ChuckS

Nothing wrong with the G rated 14 ply Provider tires on your Alpine.. I personally know over 400 owners running those tires on their Alpines..

The issue is..as pointed out you have NO idea if the tires were kept properly inflated, what tow speed the tires saw, and if the tires were kept covered to prevent UV damage when not being towed..

If I were buying new tires for my 2014 Alpine they would be either Sailun S637 series or Hercules 901 series... And I would increase the size of the OEM tire from 235/80x16 to 235/85x16 for additional load capacity.. You would see an increase from 4000 to 4400 lbs per tire and the difference in size raises the height of the Alpine 1/2 inch and there is more than enough axle spacing..

And YES.. I run and have been running the 235/85 series now for six years..

Id would also highly recommend pulling those hubs and inspect the brakes and axle bearings and races and clean and hand pack lube them with Red & Tacky grease... DO NOT EVER use the stupid Dexier EZ lube zerks on the end of the axles

Lastly I have been running the TST 507 original monochrome unit since 2014 and have had zero issues with it.. The upgraded version out now has a much nicer and easier to read color display.. I do not have the repeater on my setup and have have never had issues with a sender dropping out on a tire..

... and DO NOT let someone talk you into paying well over $300 a tire for a GY G614 tire... it dose not have the load capacity and is over priced IMO

My current G rated tires are six years old and I have no intentions of replacing this year.. My tow distances are no where near most other folks.. Also Id expect to easily see 5 years or more on most G rated 14 ply tires depending on tow speed, temps towed in ( Arizona temps ) hard on tires

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Nothing wrong with the G rated 14 ply Provider tires on your Alpine.. I personally know over 400 owners running those tires on their Alpines..

The issue is..as pointed out you have NO idea if the tires were kept properly inflated, what tow speed the tires saw, and if the tires were kept covered to prevent UV damage when not being towed..

If I were buying new tires for my 2014 Alpine they would be either Sailun S637 series or Hercules 901 series... And I would increase the size of the OEM tire from 235/80x16 to 235/85x16 for additional load capacity.. You would see an increase from 4000 to 4400 lbs per tire and the difference in size raises the height of the Alpine 1/2 inch and there is more than enough axle spacing..

And YES.. I run and have been running the 235/85 series now for six years..

Id would also highly recommend pulling those hubs and inspect the brakes and axle bearings and races and clean and hand pack lube them with Red & Tacky grease... DO NOT EVER use the stupid Dexier EZ lube zerks on the end of the axles

Lastly I have been running the TST 507 original monochrome unit since 2014 and have had zero issues with it.. The upgraded version out now has a much nicer and easier to read color display.. I do not have the repeater on my setup and have have never had issues with a sender dropping out on a tire..

... and DO NOT let someone talk you into paying well over $300 a tire for a GY G614 tire... it dose not have the load capacity and is over priced IMO

My current G rated tires are six years old and I have no intentions of replacing this year.. My tow distances are no where near most other folks.. Also Id expect to easily see 5 years or more on most G rated 14 ply tires depending on tow speed, temps towed in ( Arizona temps ) hard on tires
Well, I sure don't know 400 individuals in the first place... nor do I want to.. much less 400 individuals that run a specific tire... nor do I want to know that much about any of the 12 people I do know..

Also, if anyone is interested in the G rated Providers on my trailer see me after July 2022 and they're for sale at $50 each...
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well, I sure don't know 400 individuals in the first place... nor do I want to.. much less 400 individuals that run a specific tire... nor do I want to know that much about any of the 12 people I do know..

Also, if anyone is interested in the G rated Providers on my trailer see me after July 2022 and they're for sale at $50 each...

Yep, sounds like me. I could canvass the 2 people I know but don't want to know that much either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
travelin texans

My last 5th wheel came with G rated GY 614s that lasted 50k+ miles, but when it came time to replace I upgraded to Sailun 17.5" H rated tires & wheels for less money than replacing 3 of 4 GYs.
As already stated the Providers are 4 years old with 5 being about max & with unknown previous care & feeding, if they were mine they'd be replaced ASAP.
I had the TST507 on the last 2 5th wheels & dually trucks, no booster needed on all 10 wheels & as mentioned the newest versions are even better, you may find one that cost less, but you know that saying "you get what you pay for!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, sounds like me. I could canvass the 2 people I know but don't want to know that much either.
That is what I said and what I meant .. 400 people that own Alpines running OEM Provider tires and no issues...

I run a Vietnam special sold at Les Schwab tires .. Geo Star.. 6 years and I am not wasting money every two years buying new G rated tires with the mileage I drive and the care the tires, bearings and suspension receive... second to none

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
That is what I said and what I meant .. 400 people that own Alpines running OEM Provider tires and no issues...

I run a Vietnam special sold at Les Schwab tires .. Geo Star.. 6 years and I am not wasting money every two years buying new G rated tires with the mileage I drive and the care the tires, bearings and suspension receive... second to none

Chuck I wasn't doubting your word; more pointing out that I actually, truly don't deal with that many folks anymore.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmadmax52 View Post
Any Alpine owners out there that have added a TPMS? Were your Stock tires "g" rated provider brand or other brand? The Wife and i just bought a 2018 3401rs and feel we should add a TPMS and we'd like input from other Alpine owners on what they have tried with success and maybe with not so much success. our tires are Provider brand g rated tired with very good looking tread but we noticed that the born on date was 31-17. so we're wondering if we should consider changing them out.
Madmax
2015 F250 PSD
2018 Alpine 3401RS
Max, Chris and Large Marge
English Bulldog Extraordinaire

With a 15K lb 5th wheel, I would be worrying more about the payload your truck can handle. Pin weight will be north of 3600 lbs. What is your payload? Yellow/white placard in your driver side door frame...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #12
Javi

Quote:

Well shucks... like I said I don't know 400 individual people much less 400 individual trailer owners who run a single manufacturer's tire... nor do I ever want to...

As for buying 4 new tires every two years, that's cheap insurance to me and my wife can spend more than that in one visit to a clothing store.

I've made 71 years doing it my way, reckon I'll just keep on keeping on.

Good luck with your Vietnam specials.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, tires