Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
jasin1

Rv specific navigation

Good morning
I recently bought a garmin 785 and a separate wired garmin backup camera. I’m thinking of sending it back. The camera has been a problem. Won’t receive signal where I originally mounted it. Just not happy with how that worked out. New location is on roof for receiver.. haven’t tested it while driving but don’t like the exposed wires on roof.
The gps unit itself seems ok except for the robot voice for directions.
How many of you use rv specific gps for fifth wheels? I would rather use my factory 12” display for gps in my truck and get a stand alone wireless backup/observation haloview camera. I figure I could use rv trip wizard ahead of time to see if any low bridges along my routes.
The last couple of trips had hours added to travel time because it only sent me on truck routes. I do know it’s doing what it’s supposed to but wondering if really necessary.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I'm guessing you meant wireless not wired camera? The voice can be changed as can the routing options. Only you know if it's "necessary" or worth it to you. To me it's invaluable. Mine has routed me tp avoid low bridges, some exceedingly sharp turns/curves, and at one cg in PA it routed me about a mile longer but also avoided a 10%+ grade with sharp hairpin turns on a very narrow road.

Is it infallible? Certainly not. I'm not aware of anything that is. I to look at maps and use other mapping programs pre trip. I found that using and comparing multiple sources to be valuable. I've also been on trips where I know the route and ended up coming across emergency road work or an accident where there's a detour. I've found myself in that situation with nowhere to pull over 50' plus of truck and trailer to look at a map. JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm guessing you meant wireless not wired camera? The voice can be changed as can the routing options. Only you know if it's "necessary" or worth it to you. To me it's invaluable. Mine has routed me tp avoid low bridges, some exceedingly sharp turns/curves, and at one cg in PA it routed me about a mile longer but also avoided a 10%+ grade with sharp hairpin turns on a very narrow road.

Is it infallible? Certainly not. I'm not aware of anything that is. I to look at maps and use other mapping programs pre trip. I found that using and comparing multiple sources to be valuable. I've also been on trips where I know the route and ended up coming across emergency road work or an accident where there's a detour. I've found myself in that situation with nowhere to pull over 50' plus of truck and trailer to look at a map. JMHO, YMMV
Making valid points for sure. I may just keep it. As far as the camera it’s not a true wireless. It has a 10’ umbilical cord that leads to a transmitter that you have to mount somewhere. So it’s half wireless and half wires lol
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
ChuckS

Been using Garmin GPS products for decades... With regards to your GPS routing you on truck only routes did you set up the "Avoidance" section for your GPS correctly?

When I select a new destination I always see two or 3 various routes with estimated time and distances. Are you seeing those choices?

We RV in some out of the way areas in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and on a lot of forest roads.. My current GPS Garmin NUVI 2797 (large screen) is very accurate

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Been using Garmin GPS products for decades... With regards to your GPS routing you on truck only routes did you set up the "Avoidance" section for your GPS correctly?

When I select a new destination I always see two or 3 various routes with estimated time and distances. Are you seeing those choices?

We RV in some out of the way areas in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and on a lot of forest roads.. My current GPS Garmin NUVI 2797 (large screen) is very accurate
I’m gonna take a look at it again I only used it a couple of times. I set up my rig in the menu. I actually like the gps, just not the camera so much. I was trying to avoid a bunch of different screens on my dash. Ram makes a rear view camera system for trailers but it’s too expensive for what you get.